Good time for skill and nation building

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
No - quite likely not..

But they will get more amenable/more sociable working arrangements. And many of them think the drop in money is worth it (or, more correctly, that the T&Cs of driving aren't worth the extra money)

I think this is it, my lad who came out of hospital yesterday evening was talking to a workmate, married with 3 kids. He left for Scotland 1.00 am Monday morning. He got home 3.pm yesterday. The money can be good but there is a trade off.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My dad was a HGV driver in the 70s 80s he would go to work mon and come home Friday.
Roads were not as good then but it’s not a job I would like to do.
Especially with the muppets on the roads now.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My dad was a HGV driver in the 70s 80s he would go to work mon and come home Friday.
Roads were not as good then but it’s not a job I would like to do.
Especially with the muppets on the roads now.

Has the standard of driving got worse since the 80s or are we just grumpy old men?

There are a lot less drunk drivers these days, that's for sure. My old man used to finish work, drive to the pub, sit in there from 5pm to 8pm getting ***-faced, then drive home. 5 days a week. When I was playing football, it was the norm to have 3 or 4 pints then drive home. Even worse on a Sunday as you were topping up on the skinful you'd had the night before.

Thank god those days are gone.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Has the standard of driving got worse since the 80s or are we just grumpy old men?

There are a lot less drunk drivers these days, that's for sure. My old man used to finish work, drive to the pub, sit in there from 5pm to 8pm getting ***-faced, then drive home. 5 days a week. When I was playing football, it was the norm to have 3 or 4 pints then drive home. Even worse on a Sunday as you were topping up on the skinful you'd had the night before.

Thank god those days are gone.
That’s a shock .
I never did that neither did anyone I know but my licence was my living so was my dads.

But since taking up golf !
Met a few at golf clubs who still do it now.

I was talking about the sober ones in general they don’t need a skinful to be bad drivers.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That’s a shock .
I never did that neither did anyone I know but my licence was my living so was my dads.

But since taking up golf !
Met a few at golf clubs who still do it now.

I was talking about the sober ones in general they don’t need a skinful to be bad drivers.
I've said this before on here but I suspect if the police set up testing sites outside of golf clubs on a Saturday afternoon there would be an awful lot of men and women losing their licences. Not the majority but a definite core who think it doesn't affect them so it is okay. Make that a rural course and I would bet the percentage increases. Sad but true.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've said this before on here but I suspect if the police set up testing sites outside of golf clubs on a Saturday afternoon there would be an awful lot of men and women losing their licences. Not the majority but a definite core who think it doesn't affect them so it is okay. Make that a rural course and I would bet the percentage increases. Sad but true.

Aside from those who wilffuly have 3 or 4 pints and drive (and I may get slaughtered for this but certainly see that as mainly a generational thing now) people just rely on supposed facts that have not been true for ages, if they ever were. You can drink 2 pints, no you cannot. Aside from the impact of a pint on individuals, most pints are stronger now and many now mean that even 1 pint will put you over the limit. You can have a glass of wine. Glasses were a lot smaller when those rumours started and most measures now would bump you over the limit.

If I am driving I will not touch a drop and if I am driving early the next day, i tend not to drink the night before either.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Aside from those who wilffuly have 3 or 4 pints and drive (and I may get slaughtered for this but certainly see that as mainly a generational thing now) people just rely on supposed facts that have not been true for ages, if they ever were. You can drink 2 pints, no you cannot. Aside from the impact of a pint on individuals, most pints are stronger now and many now mean that even 1 pint will put you over the limit. You can have a glass of wine. Glasses were a lot smaller when those rumours started and most measures now would bump you over the limit.

If I am driving I will not touch a drop and if I am driving early the next day, i tend not to drink the night before either.
Agree with every aspect of this (y).

I've been a member at my course for nearly 5 years now. I have to drive to it and I have never had an alcoholic drink there in all those years. It's a mindset thing, not hard.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Agree with every aspect of this (y).

I've been a member at my course for nearly 5 years now. I have to drive to it and I have never had an alcoholic drink there in all those years. It's a mindset thing, not hard.
Getting a bit off subject but the problem is that the Bar tends to be the focal point inside golf clubs and as such reinforce the drink culture. Maybe it would be better if they were laid out more like a Cafe and alcohol was not on display. This was always a problem in the armed forces, the Mess system was centered around the bar and encouraged people to start drinking early in the day.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Getting a bit off subject but the problem is that the Bar tends to be the focal point inside golf clubs and as such reinforce the drink culture. Maybe it would be better if they were laid out more like a Cafe and alcohol was not on display. This was always a problem in the armed forces, the Mess system was centered around the bar and encouraged people to start drinking early in the day.

Bringing it back to the subject.. does the bar have the right staff these days or is the Pro running it too?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

Fully agree, would never happen and would not be supported by most but I would be in favour of ditching the bar and the bar staff, getting in a quality coffee machine and barrista and being a cafe first with a small bottle bar for those who cannot live without a drink. To tie it in with subject matter, the country as a whole will never change when every venue focusses mainly on selling you alcohol then acts all shocked when people get drunk and misbehave.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fully agree, would never happen and would not be supported by most but I would be in favour of ditching the bar and the bar staff, getting in a quality coffee machine and barrista and being a cafe first with a small bottle bar for those who cannot live without a drink. To tie it in with subject matter, the country as a whole will never change when every venue focusses mainly on selling you alcohol then acts all shocked when people get drunk and misbehave.
Really interesting points. Would any club dare try it? Which will be the first clubs with a Costa franchise in it?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Really interesting points. Would any club dare try it? Which will be the first clubs with a Costa franchise in it?

I would happily buy a drink on arrival, one to take out with me and one on return if there was a decent coffee franchise in the club. On a hot day, an iced coffee or one of the iced fruit drinks they so would be heaven. Far rather that than a beer in the middle of the day.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Id much rather a decent cafe type place to eat after a round than a bar

Would be great to see a club do it

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Id much rather a decent cafe type place to eat after a round than a bar

Would be great to see a club do it

Would love to have seen someone try at my old club. The old boys who see themselves as the great and the good would never vote to lose their 3 or 4 pints of old ferret worrier or a couple of bottles of cheap red.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would love to have seen someone try at my old club. The old boys who see themselves as the great and the good would never vote to lose their 3 or 4 pints of old ferret worrier or a couple of bottles of cheap red.

My current club is very new and have gone down the country club route

So I can see a cafe wouldn't work for them as they going up market and host events. Golfers are nice to get in there but you get more than

My old club was similar but different. Was a proper restaurant just with a golf course attached

Loads of people go there to eat just happens you can play golf there

If it's just members I think a cafe would serve most

Telephone service of pick up orders for half way aswell would be great

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
To tie it in with subject matter, the country as a whole will never change when every venue focusses mainly on selling you alcohol then acts all shocked when people get drunk and misbehave.

Although every pub I am aware of is now more focused on selling food rather than drink. Maybe I no longer go to the places you refer to. :)

My golf club seems to have most people driving to it so isn't booze orientated, although I know of exceptions. I do have neighbours who drink so much they have to put their empties in other peoples' recycling! Although they do knock on and ask politely if they can do it, and never go out and "misbehave" :ROFLMAO:

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i am glad i am at a club that has a proper bar and bar-type vibe after golf and not a cafe to have a sandwich and coffee - both of which you can of course have. The 19th and a good social scene, often with liberal libation, is an imprortant and, indeed, essential feature for golf clubs, with associated functions, weddings etc helping top subsidise the running costs. I do not get the recent comments wanting any different and can't see any of my fellow members agreeing either (n). Nobody forces alcohol and there are all the soft-drink and coffee options available. Golf is a social game with jokes and banter and a 19th hole - or at least it should be - and that is the only version i like.