Gone from CAT1 to CAT2 without playing!!

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
:angry:

Between Sat 30th March and Wed 3rd April, there were 4 qualifiers played at my club....I played in 2 of them, winning one with 38 points and attracting a 0.6 cut.

Due to some lingering snow in some of the bunkers,unbeknown to everyone, the club created a Local Rule declaring ALL bunkers GUR, (contrary to the rules of golf).

No one on the Sat/Sun comps noticed the local rule and played the bunkers as normal. The Tues/Wed comps, players were informed beforehand and took drops out of bunkers.

When it was brought to the clubs attention that such a local ruling is not legal, after initial discussion, the original decision was going to be to let the SAT/SUN comps stand (as people had played the bunkers as though they were in play), and make the Tues/Wed comps no qualifiers.

However, upon further investigation, rightly so, it became evident that because you cannot ignore a local rule,(even an illegal one) the SAT/SUN comps were also declared non Qualifying......and hence I got 0.6 added back to my H/C..

The 2 subsequent competitions to these 4 have also been amended in the software and ironically, as a result I got a further 0.2 cut for one of them and ended up winning it instead of losing it on count back, so I have ended up with 0.4 back in total taking me 5.7.

To say I'm miffed is an understatement as I have worked very hard recently to get down to 5.3 and to have it taken back in such a fashion leaves a sour taste.

Before anyone mentions it, YES, people should have checked the local rules board before playing, and hands up, I'm guilty as charged along with everyone else.

Lots of lessons learned here by the club and it won't be happening again......the committee meeting went on for 3 hours on Thursday night discussing it.

Another ironic outcome is that due to the subsequent competitions adjustment, I beat CSS by 4 instead of 3 in last weeks medal and will now attract another ESR flag.......unfortunately just like the last time I had one, it won't make any difference as if I beat CSS by 4 or more again in the near future, the corresponding competition cut will automatically take me back into the CAT 1 zone so any further cut due to an ESR won't be applied.

A very mixed emotions weekend for me, and feel like I've been punched in the stomach......obviously will get straight back on the bike and work on getting the cuts again to get back down, but right now I'm not a happy chappy.:(

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
No wonder the committee meeting went on and on, a rather untidy mess feel for you.
Hopefully you'll get back down soon with the aid of some awesomeness. :lol:

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
The way youve been knocking it around i wouldnt worry too much you will be back down in no time.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
its only a number mate, it will come down, whats happened happened. you play that many qualifiers your handicap will be right soon enough. forget it, smile and move on, just moves the bar a little more thats all

Slicer30

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
:angry:

Between Sat 30th March and Wed 3rd April, there were 4 qualifiers played at my club....I played in 2 of them, winning one with 38 points and attracting a 0.6 cut.

Due to some lingering snow in some of the bunkers,unbeknown to everyone, the club created a Local Rule declaring ALL bunkers GUR, (contrary to the rules of golf).

No one on the Sat/Sun comps noticed the local rule and played the bunkers as normal. The Tues/Wed comps, players were informed beforehand and took drops out of bunkers.

When it was brought to the clubs attention that such a local ruling is not legal, after initial discussion, the original decision was going to be to let the SAT/SUN comps stand (as people had played the bunkers as though they were in play), and make the Tues/Wed comps no qualifiers.

However, upon further investigation, rightly so, it became evident that because you cannot ignore a local rule,(even an illegal one) the SAT/SUN comps were also declared non Qualifying......and hence I got 0.6 added back to my H/C..

The 2 subsequent competitions to these 4 have also been amended in the software and ironically, as a result I got a further 0.2 cut for one of them and ended up winning it instead of losing it on count back, so I have ended up with 0.4 back in total taking me 5.7.

To say I'm miffed is an understatement as I have worked very hard recently to get down to 5.3 and to have it taken back in such a fashion leaves a sour taste.

Before anyone mentions it, YES, people should have checked the local rules board before playing, and hands up, I'm guilty as charged along with everyone else.

Lots of lessons learned here by the club and it won't be happening again......the committee meeting went on for 3 hours on Thursday night discussing it.

Another ironic outcome is that due to the subsequent competitions adjustment, I beat CSS by 4 instead of 3 in last weeks medal and will now attract another ESR flag.......unfortunately just like the last time I had one, it won't make any difference as if I beat CSS by 4 or more again in the near future, the corresponding competition cut will automatically take me back into the CAT 1 zone so any further cut due to an ESR won't be applied.

A very mixed emotions weekend for me, and feel like I've been punched in the stomach......obviously will get straight back on the bike and work on getting the cuts again to get back down, but right now I'm not a happy chappy.:(

When was your last ESR? I'm sure someone will correct me, but I thought you did not have to make 2 good rounds (ie 4 less that CSS) to get a second ESR.

If you best CSS again by 4 within a period of time from your last ESR you may get cut again. As you say though it wont get you to CAT1, but maybe to 5.5?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
When was your last ESR? I'm sure someone will correct me, but I thought you did not have to make 2 good rounds (ie 4 less that CSS) to get a second ESR.

If you best CSS again by 4 within a period of time from your last ESR you may get cut again. As you say though it wont get you to CAT1, but maybe to 5.5?

I believe Rick's point was that a score sufficient to bring the ESR into play would aready have taken him to 5.5 (or close enough).

Timing isn't only important in the swing :)

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
I believe Rick's point was that a score sufficient to bring the ESR into play would aready have taken him to 5.5 (or close enough).

Timing isn't only important in the swing :)
Correct and also Slicer my last ESR was over 10 rounds ago......so no additional cut for this new one.......

T

thecraw

Take the positive, you've already posted the scores in medal play so you ken you can do it again.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Bit of the dreaded 'Committee-itis' by the looks of it. Good intentions but poor execution! Had a run-in once when club was trying to run qualifier with temporary greens. Length difference wasn't an issue, but that club used the large bucket holes on temporaries, so against Rules of Golf. Comp co-ordinator (and others) refused to declare comp NQ and it was only when County got involved (threatening removal of right to maintain handicaps) that they saw sense!

Great golf. At least you know you can do it, so certain you'll be back down soon.

Low guys winning competitions! There's a few on here that don't believe that happens!:D

BTW. Declaring bunkers GUR is not against Rules of Golf. Just means comp becomes a Non-Qualifier as course is significantly altered -Congu Rules.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
BTW. Declaring bunkers GUR is not against Rules of Golf. Just means comp becomes a Non-Qualifier as course is significantly altered -Congu Rules.

My turn for a wee bit of clarification anent that statement. ;) It is contrary to the Rules to make all the bunkers on the course GUR because of water - which is what the OP indicates happened at his club. See Decision 33-8/27. The Committee may only specify certain bunkers as GUR. You can still have a qualifying round with some specified bunkers marked as GUR, but I don't know at what point it might be considered there are too many to allow that. CONGU Decision 1e doesn't mention that.

Last edited: