Golf's Great Underachievers

D

Deleted member 15344

A bit of a difference with Nicklaus is that he was a) a far better player than Monty, b) longer relative to the field than Monty and c) could hit a draw when he had to, I’m not sure Monty could, and certainly wasn’t comfortable trying it in competition.

Plus his last Masters win was 85?

Not sure the last fader to win at Augusta tbh.
Woods stock shot is a fade and he and Nicklaus have both said it’s a fallacy that you can’t win with a fade at Augusta , I think even Faldo played with a fade

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
A bit of a difference with Nicklaus is that he was a) a far better player than Monty, b) longer relative to the field than Monty and c) could hit a draw when he had to, I’m not sure Monty could, and certainly wasn’t comfortable trying it in competition.

There have been quite a few recent winners who faded the ball at Augusta - they cheated a little by hitting it with left-handed clubs though! :D

Wolf

Visit site

Faldo, Langer, Woods, Couples, Willett, even Sergio's preferred shot is a fade.

Monty could draw the ball just he felt more comfortable hitting his natural fade

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

Jack Nicklaus .............................. he won it in 1986! :whistle:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not to mention Andrew Sherbourne, Gordon Sherry, Peter Baker.. all the next best thing in the 80's/90's but it goes to show how hard it can be.
Saw Peter Baker at the European Senior Masters recently. Still got the ball out there a decent distance and looked like he still had it. I thought after his RC he would really become a bigger force on tour

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Woods stock shot is a fade and he and Nicklaus have both said it’s a fallacy that you can’t win with a fade at Augusta , I think even Faldo played with a fade

Woods is a fader now, but hasn’t won the Masters since 2005. In his prime, Tiger could easily play a draw or a fade, if required.

I personally would be amazed if Tiger wins the Masters next year, or is even in the reckoning. But not at all if he was in the mix at the US Open or PGA.

Looking at the USPGA this year, Tiger was hitting the fade perfectly but struggled massively with a draw. It’s probably a full shot or shot and a half each day given the number of right to left holes at Augusta.