Golfing regression

pieface

Medal Winner
Visit site
Afternoon all, I'm relatively new to golf and over the last 3 or 4 months have been playing once or twice a week. Since starting I have slowly improved and the best I have shot so far is 21 over par on a par 3 course. I've had a lesson and found that I improved for the next few weeks.
However, the last 2 weeks I feel like I have totally regressed as a golfer, I would say that when I was playing a month or so ago I was hitting 11 or 12 greens a round on the par 3 course but at the moment I'm struggling to even strike the ball properly.
I'm finding that I am either topping the ball or shaking it which I previously never had trouble with. Even my go to clubs like my 8 iron aren't working.

Has anyone experienced this and have any pointers on how to remedy it?

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Afternoon all, I'm relatively new to golf and over the last 3 or 4 months have been playing once or twice a week. Since starting I have slowly improved and the best I have shot so far is 21 over par on a par 3 course. I've had a lesson and found that I improved for the next few weeks.
However, the last 2 weeks I feel like I have totally regressed as a golfer, I would say that when I was playing a month or so ago I was hitting 11 or 12 greens a round on the par 3 course but at the moment I'm struggling to even strike the ball properly.
I'm finding that I am either topping the ball or shaking it which I previously never had trouble with. Even my go to clubs like my 8 iron aren't working.

Over to you Homer.....

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site

Have a few lessons? Golf is hard

pieface

Medal Winner
Visit site
Sorry guys should have been more clear on my original post. I will be having more lessons and appreciate how difficult the game is, what I was meant to ask was how do you overcome the psychological aspect of having a dip in quality/confidence, at the moment I feel like my shot will be rubbish before I begin my swing.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Golf is a game of ups and downs. Take it one shot at a time, and you never know when it will click. This never really changes, just look at the pro's on telly, 62 0ne day, 72 the next.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s an old story now but I went from almost quitting to finishing 2nd in the club champs net and getting cut from 15 to 12 over the space of 8 days.

Golf comes as ups and downs. You have to learn to ride the 0.1s for the big cuts that might come this or next week. If neither those then the week after right?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Concentrate on the basics, grip, stance, alignment, ball position and be smooth, dont try and hit the ball too hard, Tempo over aggression every time

You will improve, then you plateau, then you have lessons or practice a bit more, then you improve some more until you plateau again, this goes on until age or injury kicks in and then its a case of keeping on going until you give up or drop down dead.

But the most important thing is to enjoy it, every round is different, if you stop enjoying it, take a break,. we play for pleasure, we are not professionals , Remember its better than working :)

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've only had a couple of lessons, they definitely have helped me hit the ball better, but not to score better, since I just get into different trouble now. i'm not really caring about the score until I have a bit more consistency hitting fairways and greens, then i'll start to look where the score can pull in.

What do you do to keep yourself honest to what the lesson was trying to change?

pieface

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've only had a couple of lessons, they definitely have helped me hit the ball better, but not to score better, since I just get into different trouble now. i'm not really caring about the score until I have a bit more consistency hitting fairways and greens, then i'll start to look where the score can pull in.

What do you do to keep yourself honest to what the lesson was trying to change?

My lesson was mainly aimed at my movement in the swing, my body swayed a lot in the back swing then instead of coming through the ball with my body I sort of scooped the ball with bent elbows. I've been trying to concentrate on stopping my body swaying but moving through the ball whilst keeping my arms straight, difficult though!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
My lesson was mainly aimed at my movement in the swing, my body swayed a lot in the back swing then instead of coming through the ball with my body I sort of scooped the ball with bent elbows. I've been trying to concentrate on stopping my body swaying but moving through the ball whilst keeping my arms straight, difficult though!

If golf was easy it wouldn't be the fun that it is. It takes most of us years to learn the game and 20 years later I'm still taking lessons.

I played tennis 20 years ago with a friend at a decent club level and when I said that I was giving it up to play golf, he said it will be a lot easier than tennis as it can't be hard to hit a ball laying still on the ground. Recently he took up golf and the first thing he said was he didn't realise his stupid that comment was !

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Its difficult and if a lesson makes big changes these are going to take time to bed in. The key (in my own experience) is to work it through on the range to make the changes feel more natural. If it goes wrong on the course it's imperative that you stick with it and don't resort to the old version. My advice is get another lesson (or two) and work hard. It'll feel like two steps forward and one big one back but try and see the longer term picture

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I have had regular lessons monthly since picking up some sticks. I’ve also had psychology lessons on the course with a sports psychologist.

Take your lessons, relax and forget about your bad rounds and shots. Everybody gets them.

Most importantly do what your coach says. Don’t revert back to your old feelings!

D

Deleted member 1418

What nobody else shot level par in their first ever round like me? Wow you're all useless! Think you should've all given up there and then!! 😉😂😂

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its difficult and if a lesson makes big changes these are going to take time to bed in. The key (in my own experience) is to work it through on the range to make the changes feel more natural. If it goes wrong on the course it's imperative that you stick with it and don't resort to the old version. My advice is get another lesson (or two) and work hard. It'll feel like two steps forward and one big one back but try and see the longer term picture

Sage advice indeed. So why did you completely ignore it in one of your recent videos, after being given a free lesson by a GM top 20 coach?

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sage advice indeed. So why did you completely ignore it in one of your recent videos, after being given a free lesson by a GM top 20 coach?

Not much advice .but what ur going thru most ppl do . We take up d game we think we have it ? We lose it , it comes back for a while then the process repeats itself over n over . For now try do the basics .
My tip slow back swing . Accelerate through swing and follow through. Line feet and shoulders up to where u want it to go . Make sure u see club hit ball.
Not qualified to give advice but simple is easier

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Done this. If you read any of my posts not done much practice or played as I hurt my back before Christmas. Only just getting back into regular practice and so can start to work on the shorter swing initially and then go from there. Resent any implication that I have simply ignored the advice given. As said in my videos and on here, these are going to be major changes after 30+ years of doing it wrong so need to take my time, make sure I'm fully fit and take it step by step