Golfers and the rules

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i was playing a few years ago with a friend who lost a ball on the first hole. he did nothing but moan about it all the way round and after he decided to go and look for it and found it.

he then proudly declared he could take off the penalty shots as he hadn't in fact lost his ball.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
i was playing a few years ago with a friend who lost a ball on the first hole. he did nothing but moan about it all the way round and after he decided to go and look for it and found it.

he then proudly declared he could take off the penalty shots as he hadn't in fact lost his ball.
Yes, it's in Rule 17.2c

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Quick one on this as it was me on Saturday. I should know but I’m having a brain fade.

Taking my stance I was standing full on a fairway sprinkler head. For my NPR I could move my stance either…away from my ball position (toe of shoe almost touching sprinkler head) or towards my ball position (heel of shoe almost touching) - same distance in both cases as I’m simply moving my stance off the sprinkler head and both options for NPR are not nearer the hole. So how do I know which is my unique NPR? I’d prefer to not be swinging over the sprinkler head but as far as rules are concerned in respect of NPR my preference is not usually relevant.
There are some limited circumstances where there are two equidistant NPORs. If that's the case - and yours sounds like it may be one of them - then you get to choose which NPOR you use.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

So what did he do, take off 2 shots a stick his "lost" ball in his bag?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

He hadn't lost it ........... but also had lost it - if I'd been there I'd have lost it, did you lose it?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Quick one on this as it was me on Saturday. I should know but I’m having a brain fade.

Taking my stance I was standing full on a fairway sprinkler head. For my NPR I could move my stance either…away from my ball position (toe of shoe almost touching sprinkler head) or towards my ball position (heel of shoe almost touching) - same distance in both cases as I’m simply moving my stance off the sprinkler head and both options for NPR are not nearer the hole. So how do I know which is my unique NPR? I’d prefer to not be swinging over the sprinkler head but as far as rules are concerned in respect of NPR my preference is not usually relevant.

Not sure if there is a question in there but if the there are two NPRs both equidistant the player may chose which one to use

Interpretations
The nearest point of complete relief must be strictly interpreted. A player is not allowed to choose on which side of the ground under repair the ball will be dropped, unless there are two equidistant nearest points of complete relief.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think this is what he means from the quantum world.

Traffic cop pulls over a speeding car.
Cop: Do you know what speed you were doing (talking to the great Dane Niels Bohr, friend of the Heisenberg).
Bohr: No I didn't. That's because I know exactly where I am.
Cop: Would you mind lifting up the boot.
Schrodinger, a passenger, gets out and lifts it up.
Cop: Did you know there is a dead cat there?
Schrodinger: I wouldn't have known until I looked.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
As there are far too many rules I now play the Trump way, which means taking a free drop when I feel like it, kicking the ball out of the rough and on to the fairway, hand wedging the ball out of bunkers.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
We live and play in different nations, never mind different clubs.
Our clubhouse doesn't have prawn sandwiches either.

In any case, my current bag has only fourteen slots.
The USGA / R&A Police aren't on my trail at the moment.
We don't have a clubhouse, far less prawn sandwiches

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe so, but if you play in any competitions with 15 clubs, that's breaking the rules.
My wife has been using my mum's clubs (not in competitions obviously) with a couple of others thrown in, I realised the other day she's actually had 16 clubs in the bag - including two putters. :LOL: And to be fair she only uses about 5 of them across the course of the round, haha.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My wife has been using my mum's clubs (not in competitions obviously) with a couple of others thrown in, I realised the other day she's actually had 16 clubs in the bag - including two putters. :LOL: And to be fair she only uses about 5 of them across the course of the round, haha.

I bet most of us will be the same :ROFLMAO:. Some clubs in my bag haven't come out all year! And when I play mid week with half a bag, it is very rare that I wish I had more clubs