Golf with glasses for long distances

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hello chaps,

I am short sighted and cannot see long distances clearly (not blind, but everything is slightly blurred), making seeing the pin and judging distances difficult. I have glasses and the perscription is not very strong, but enough to make things clear.

My question is, does anyone else play golf in glasses or do you have contacts?

Reason I ask is that I am contemplating getting contacts for when I play golf, but just wondered if they cause any issues (i.e. magnifying when looking close up like putting)

Phill

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a similar problem and use contact lenses.
They are great for playing golf with and that pretty much all I use them for. Nice to see the ball every now and again!

I don't use them all the time but if i'm playing in anything serious I'll always popo them in.

Never had any glasses so not sure about that one.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Phill, i wear contact lenses for playing and dont have any problems. Much easier in the rain etc, recommend u give them a go.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sounds as though I've got similar vision to you, (-1.0 in each eye).

I've never worn glasses to play as they drove me mad and caused some problems with my swing by having to bob my head around to stop the ball seemingly jumping across the frame of the glasses.

Contact lenses work for many people but I have never found one that doesn't dry out by the end of the round. Even on the stillest of days there is always a hint of a brezze which causes the ones I've tried to start gripping my eyeball after 14 holes max.

I just play without anything now, watch it till i can't see it then walk in a straight line towards where I last saw it!!! :D

A sky caddie has proved invaluable for judging distance.

Bacardibatman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i wear glasses (only occasionally as im not that bad) tbh i need to see it to see where the ball goes when it goes 300+ ;) lol

but tbh it affects my putting tbh i dont like it and i cant keep taking them on and off

pain in the backside in the wet i wear a cap but still get the odd drop on them....if i win the lottery i'll laser em

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds as though I've got similar vision to you, (-1.0 in each eye).

I've never worn glasses to play as they drove me mad and caused some problems with my swing by having to bob my head around to stop the ball seemingly jumping across the frame of the glasses.

Contact lenses work for many people but I have never found one that doesn't dry out by the end of the round. Even on the stillest of days there is always a hint of a brezze which causes the ones I've tried to start gripping my eyeball after 14 holes max.

I just play without anything now, watch it till i can't see it then walk in a straight line towards where I last saw it!!! :D

A sky caddie has proved invaluable for judging distance.

Would highly recommend daysoft contacts. Cheap as chips, order over the web and by far the best contacts ive used for not drying out (all dsy, not just golfing).
On the phone so no link but easy to find via google

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I went to specsavers and came out with two guide dogs (one for each eye). I have shocking eyesight but my normal glasses do work perfectly well. I use a Sky Caddy as well so I can trust the distances to be correct. The only downside is playing in the rain and so I make sure I have a cap and take a couple of old hankies and keep them inside my trousers under my waterproofs and give the glasses a good wipe every hole.

RichardC

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I wear glasses while playing. I have tried contacts but never really got on with them, but I do want to go down the laser route when the finances allow.

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Laser surgury scares me! I saw it on how do they do it? lol

I am going to look into contacts as I only need them to play golf with (im clutching at straws trying to find excuses for my poor shots..)

It's just annoying when I have to keep taking my glasses off for putting, and when you address the ball you can see just under the lens and it screws your pre shot up.

:p :p

B

birdieman

Philly,
If you're like me and can't do laser surgery or find contacts unbearable get some wrap style sports prescription glasses, problem solved. I got some Pumas that wrap round and sit close enougH to your face that you don't get any of the glasses frames entering your field of vision and they don't move about.
With new wraps expect your eyes to take a wee while to adjust to how they feel but that's a quite quick adjustment.

With rain get a long brimmed baseball cap or an actual waterproof bucket hat with a decent brim and they'll stay clear.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I wear varifocals and don't have any issues with them and playing golf. In the rain I wear a long peaked cap and that keeps them clear.
Never tried contacts and definitely don't fancy surgury

goldenbare

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's just annoying when I have to keep taking my glasses off for putting, and when you address the ball you can see just under the lens and it screws your pre shot up.

:p :p
I'm pretty good at long distance (know exactly where the ball went o.b. at 200yds) but am dreading the day that I will have to wear my reading glasses to mark my card, I'm at full arm stretch already. Almost got dq'd last week for thinking a 13 was 18 in the stroke index and giving myself an extra point. :D ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Philly,
If you're like me and can't do laser surgery or find contacts unbearable get some wrap style sports prescription glasses, problem solved. I got some Pumas that wrap round and sit close enougH to your face that you don't get any of the glasses frames entering your field of vision and they don't move about.
With new wraps expect your eyes to take a wee while to adjust to how they feel but that's a quite quick adjustment.

With rain get a long brimmed baseball cap or an actual waterproof bucket hat with a decent brim and they'll stay clear.

Brendy I don't know my prescription other than they are pretty bad. Would most opticians (high street names) offer this and how far down the Mr Magoo trail do they go

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I had laser surgery about 6 years ago and the results were fantastic. I was short sighted and now I only use glasses for computer work and reading which I knew I would have to because of my age. My long vision was and remains superb from the day after the laser treatment and I would not hesitate to recommend it

Chris

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My eyes are -0.75 and -0.5 (something like that anyway, never really been that bothered). I only ever wear my glasses for work and driving at night. I've only been wearing glasses a couple of years and when I 1st got them I tried contacts but never got used go them so I started playing in my glasses which was fine but I got fed up cleaning them all the time. I now play without anything.

I'm a bit like you in that things at distance are a bit blurry and I have trouble picking the ball out at distance but only at about 220-230+ yds.

Playing in glasses is fine so give it a go

B

birdieman

Philly,

Brendy I don't know my prescription other than they are pretty bad. Would most opticians (high street names) offer this and how far down the Mr Magoo trail do they go

Think you meant Birdie rather than Brendy? ;)

Anyway extreme eyewear are where I got mine so try them. I think stronger than + or -7 strength makes things tricky, I'm -2.25 in each eye and the wraps worked well for me.

Mike H uses something similar too I believe.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I play in glasses and have no problems playing, except that i have to take them off to mark the card. Just got a gps and having the same problem reading that. Couldn't be doing with contacts so i just put up with it.

I would say that i am surprised how many people i play with have poor eye sight, and don't see their ball finish.