Golf Things That Gladden The Heart

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Club has been doing a load of work last 6 weeks across three holes where we can get flooding in times of persistent and heavy rainfall, and this can cause the holes to be closed.

Work is primarily aimed at creating/excavating areas that will work as holding ponds when wet and add interest when not, plus fairway swales across three holes to manage water flow between them. At same time we’ve remodelled the last 80yds of one of the holes (par 5 14th) to create a significant challenge/risk for the long hitters especially, but also for everyone playing their second short and third to the green with new bunkering.

Well the water management has been tested…and I think it’s done it’s job and all looking rather splendid. We just need some dry time so we can returf the fairway and seed the rest.

Photos looking from 2nd tee towards 14th green…the lovely patch of green beyond the trees left. New holding pond in foreground fed by swale running diagonally middle distance right and round back of new bunker from pond not visible far side of 14th fairway, plus new green side bunkers and a new fairway bunker. Whole approach to 14th green has been raised and shaped so that approaches right attracted by new fairway bunker, and too far left will roll towards and into the holding pond area (which will be dry when normal rainfall drains normally)

4BC07CDF-874A-4608-9DE7-DD9FFD32F925.jpegF78FECC2-AE70-4278-9C28-98C3679970F9.jpeg

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Still 12 days away but the grandstands have started to be built round the 18th Green for the dpwt coming to town
Not the scale of the euro based events but big enough

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My club sent an email announcement yesterday, that for the first time in our history the new club captain for next season will be female. They've made a big effort over the last year or so to have plenty of mixed competitions, but this feels like a really progressive step forward, so fair play to them. I can't imagine many clubs have done that.

sunshine

Visit site
Apparently we were going to have a female captain this year, but she left after being hounded out by the old guard female members.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We have a Men’s Captain and a Ladies Captain - I had thought all clubs had one of each?
We've always had a Club Captain (Men's Captain)- Male - and a Ladies Captain - Female......
Now we have a Club Captain - Female - a Ladies Captain - Female and a Ladies Vice-Captain - Female.
The Men's Vice-Captain is in the minority....
Hence the moans from the "Old guard "..
Should make it easier to get a spot on Captain's Weekend as some of the idiots won't play...
Sad but true.

Asian Dawn

Banned
Visit site
A friend of mine was Men's Captain at a course in Surrey a couple of years back. The Ladies had not had a Captain for 3-4 years so he was declared Club Captain. A handful of the women went ballistic over it. They still didn't come up with a Ladies' Captain of any kind, just the fact that someone would be the overall Captain.