Golf Things That Gladden The Heart

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Matteo Mannessero winning again...something like 11 years since his last DPWT win.
Good to see him back.
He is such a nice man.

I scored for him when he was really struggling a few years ago and could hardly hit a putt anywhere near the hole. He was so polite and friendly when most of us would be frustrated as hell.

So glad he has found a way to make it back again to where he should be.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I purchased a new ( to me) hybrid the other day to replace my aging, battered and bruised original Epic 20°
It's another Callaway, the Apex 21 in 19° with a similar shaft to the old one..
Tried it yesterday and, although it went a good distance and straight, I struggled to get the ball much above 20 feet in the air.......
Just been out for 9 on my own and tweaked the loft to 20°.....
Er....I'm wondering if someone switched clubs and put a different one in....Wow..Long, high, straight..everything you want from a hybrid....
Staggered that 1° has made a virtually unusable club into a game changer.....

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Was supposed to be playing Copt Heath tomorrow but just got an email saying it's cancelled after more rain. :mad:

But on the bright side it means I can seriously mull over my selections for the 4 Club Challenge on Friday. I'm definitely going four different decades, most likely 1930s, 50s, 60s and 70s but what club to choose from each decade? :unsure:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Was supposed to be playing Copt Heath tomorrow but just got an email saying it's cancelled after more rain. :mad:

But on the bright side it means I can seriously mull over my selections for the 4 Club Challenge on Friday. I'm definitely going four different decades, most likely 1930s, 50s, 60s and 70s but what club to choose from each decade? :unsure:
Given that added challenge, I would have a 50s Slazenger ADL 3-wood, 70s Maxfli Auzzie Blade 5-iron, 60s Forgan Powerpakt 8-iron (44°) and a 30s Tom Stewart putter.
Best of luck!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just booked to play 18 holes, that cost more than my first car!

Ok, it was an expensive round, but the car was a rusty 15 year old Hillman Marina, bought in 1984! :)
Was that a Hillman Minx or a Morris Marina?

I had great fun in the latter, I could drift that one round the bends the back end used to break out so easily.

My first car cost less than a box of mid range golf balls at todays prices. Austin A35 £25

sjw

Visit site
Given that added challenge, I would have a 50s Slazenger ADL 3-wood, 70s Maxfli Auzzie Blade 5-iron, 60s Forgan Powerpakt 8-iron (44°) and a 30s Tom Stewart putter.
Best of luck!
A 44 degree 8-iron? Lofts were ridiculous back then, thank god manufacturers have sorted that nonsense out. In my day that's a pitching wedge!

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
A 44 degree 8-iron? Lofts were ridiculous back then, thank god manufacturers have sorted that nonsense out. In my day that's a pitching wedge!
The 9-iron from that set is 49° and you have seen me play a few shots with that one. I had the 3,5,7,9 with me that day.

Go back further in time and the 9-iron was a putter.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Was that a Hillman Minx or a Morris Marina?

I had great fun in the latter, I could drift that one round the bends the back end used to break out so easily.

My first car cost less thseban a box of mid range golf balls at todays prices. Austin A35 £25

I am a dozy git! First car was an AVENGER. No idea how i typed that wrong 😶‍🌫️

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am a dozy git! First car was an AVENGER. No idea how i typed that wrong 😶‍🌫️

I had a part time job in a Chrysler dealers prepping new cars for sale. One of the jobs was steam stripping the wax off the car. With Avengers one of their first trips was to the paint shop to respray the areas where the paint came off with the wax.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Spending the day in the garage with a couple of sets of clubs, removing and re-fitting grips, cleaning and polishing. Rain, what rain? I even cleaned my shoes.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Lost my mat somewhere between the 12th and 14th on Tuesday. Retraced my steps, but couldn't find it.

Popped into the shop before playing today to see if anyone had handed it in. Nope. It wasn't in the locker room either.

Walking up the 14th today, what should I spy, but my mat at the side of the fairway. Happy days!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
6.30 this morning and at the range hitting a few dozen balls off grass into the low sun that'd just popped its head up, then round to short game area for chipping practice ahead of tomorrows comp. Left at 8am to shower for the 2nd time today because it was already 28° :cool: