Golf stats - are they worth bothering with?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am amused by how many people imply that they 'don't need anything to tell them how good/bad they were'. Oh really? So you can tell me off the top of your head how often you have 3 putted in the last 10 rounds? What we think we know and what we've actually done can often be quite diverged.

What's so hard to remember? and if I do forget, I just look at the card (copy of, after a club event) and it's all there.

There is a difference between not keeping stats, marking up the card (showing stats) and using software. Each to their own.

D

Deleted member 1740

The problem with stats is how you use them imo.

obviously if you use them wisely then stats are great, if not there useless.

simples

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
The stat I'm most keen on is missing the green left or right.

Last game I think I missed 10 left, just off, with a common-or-garden pull.....shucks, more drills for me.

When they start left, they never come back....why is that?

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
What's so hard to remember? and if I do forget, I just look at the card (copy of, after a club event) and it's all there.

There is a difference between not keeping stats, marking up the card (showing stats) and using software. Each to their own.

I'm sorry, but if you keep all your score cards aren't you kind of keeping stats? :D

Wasn't the OP about the value of stats, not how you choose to keep them? It sounds to me like we are of the same opinion in that having some form of reference, be it electronic or paper, is of value in helping you to know what is going well and not so well.

As I said though, it's up to the individual. Empirical evidence is a lot easier to work with than memory though!

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Well I do know if I three putt and I know how often in a year, let alone 10 rounds, for a start.

So you can tell me without any uncertainty off the top of your head how many times you 3 putted in the last twelve months? Riiiiiiight....

You are looking at this from the point of view of an avid stat user, now I said earlier thats fair enough, why is my opinion of not needing them so worthy of critical comment almost insulting and certainly facetious or demeaning.

Wow. Where did you get that lot from? I think you'll find I put forward an argument for using stats with the caveat that if you don't want to use them, then fair enough. And where does your ego get off on assuming I was referring to your specific post?

You are amused? then stop playing with yourself and your memory may improve!

And they say PG Wodehouse is our finest comedy author...

Pro's use stats because their game is so precise and rarely flawed that it may be of some use or long term benefit to review stats, because their stats will be much, much more consistant than the average player and they tend to play more than the average player, but even so, I think they could manage just as well without them, if not better, who knows?

Well, in the words of my Pro:

"All of the pros use these kind of stats (e.g. SS2 sheet) with their coaches on a Monday morning to see exactly what they did or didn't do at the tournament. After all, if they don't keep this information, how can they know what needs improving and what to work on?"

Or is he talking rubbish too?

After the comp yesterday, I would have told you with certainty that I putted poorly and took about 36 putts. It turns out that I took 14 out and 18 in. That's the difference between thinking you know what you've done and actually knowing what you've done and that's why I think stats are, in the OP's question, worth it.