Golf Random Irritations

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was beating myself up after the Sunday competition round, until I worked out the scores it was 1 over my handicap so not so bad and better than my team partners.
I worked out I dropped a few 3 putts and I think they ironed selected greens and that’s what caught me out ..a few rapid ones where the others needed to be forced. I saw them ironing the 6th but he skipped the 7th which then made me think afterwards they had done a few but not all.
Oh and the Pro Vx I used all round looked absolutely knackered.. there is no more life in it having been in a few bunkers.

Teebs

Visit site
Trying to arrange club Matchplay games.

I'm sure some opponents try to be difficult so you concede in the end.
Strangely, arranging scratch matches for the district is distinctly easier...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ive come to a bit of a crossroads with my game and golf in general. I started a new job back in Aug last year which required me to be be office based full time. i did have the option to go down to 20 hours at the start of April when my new project was due to start. thats been put back now, but im really enjoying the job which is a new feeling for me as ive prev just enjoyed the benefits.

im playing only weekends now where i used to get at least 4 games in a week, its one at most and i dont get the time to practice either.

im off 3, though creeping up and ive found playing now and again wont keep me at the level. i dont enjoy playing rubbish as such, well not at that handicap... so i either just let it slip and maybe get myself up to 6 maybe or toying with just playing once in a blue moon or giving up completely and going back to it when my hours do change.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Being fitted for a driver, trying the demo out on the course, hitting it really well, then, when mine is delivered, hitting it like it is a totally different specification :mad:
Just back from the range and its so far from the demo that I have even checked with the pro if it is the right spec. Going to see him this afternoon t try and resolve it!

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a buddy who was trying a new driver from the golf shop over several rounds and hitting it very well. He eventually went into the shop and said he wanted to buy that driver. The professional said, "Give it to me and I'll note the specs and order one." My buddy said, "No, you misunderstood me, I want to buy THIS driver, not one that looks like this one." He was permitted to buy the driver he had demo'd.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a buddy who was trying a new driver from the golf shop over several rounds and hitting it very well. He eventually went into the shop and said he wanted to buy that driver. The professional said, "Give it to me and I'll note the specs and order one." My buddy said, "No, you misunderstood me, I want to buy THIS driver, not one that looks like this one." He was permitted to buy the driver he had demo'd.

That was always advice that I was given, buy the exact club you hit well, not another one off the rack with the same specs, not one made to that spec, buy the one that works.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have a vague memory that one of (maybe) @Smiffy's mates had the same experience. Tried out his pro's demo driver, loved it, and ordered one in the same spec. Couldn't get on with the new one at all. Had a word with the pro and exchanged the new club for the demo. Never looked back.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
That was always advice that I was given, buy the exact club you hit well, not another one off the rack with the same specs, not one made to that spec, buy the one that works.
The guy who built my Orka irons told me that the manufacturing tolerances are so wide that if they happen to be at opposite extremes within a set, you could end up with
5 and 6 irons having the same loft.
That's why when you order a set you shouldn't rely on the spec being correct and should have the lofts and lies checked and corrected where necessary.
I guess the same could be true of drivers?

D-S

Visit site
This seems a relatively common experience, I wonder if there is really something to it. I played with someone a few weeks ago who had a 7 wood demo that was and had been a magic wand for the 2 or 3 rounds he demoed it - played with him again having bought the same spec as a new club, totally different.
It can’t be all in the mind for so many people, that often can it?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Are people not having their fitted clubs checked to ensure they are getting what they were fitted for?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are people not having their fitted clubs checked to ensure they are getting what they were fitted for?

I never had but it would seem sensible but, then again, I would expect the person I was buying them from to check he finished product before calling me to collect them,

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
I never had but it would seem sensible but, then again, I would expect the person I was buying them from to check he finished product before calling me to collect them,
Your expectations may be too high? It's always good to ask before collecting them.

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
Being fitted for a driver, trying the demo out on the course, hitting it really well, then, when mine is delivered, hitting it like it is a totally different specification :mad:
Just back from the range and its so far from the demo that I have even checked with the pro if it is the right spec. Going to see him this afternoon t try and resolve it!

Attachments

• 437540207_938749584706473_146042417623985835_n.jpg
    437540207_938749584706473_146042417623985835_n.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 12

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This seems a relatively common experience, I wonder if there is really something to it. I played with someone a few weeks ago who had a 7 wood demo that was and had been a magic wand for the 2 or 3 rounds he demoed it - played with him again having bought the same spec as a new club, totally different.
It can’t be all in the mind for so many people, that often can it?

Think it's any excuse for a bad swing is to blame the equipment, I know my new driver can get the best out of me but only when I give a good swing. If I come with an open face over the top it's still going to slice. Not as drastic as before but still will slice.

Low spin or not if I do a rubbish swing it will still spin just not as much

Played with someone yesterday who duffed a shot (good player) but insisted on checking the ball for cracks as it didn't feel right and then got rid of the ball next hole (perfectly fine ball)

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Just arrived in Belek, Turkey and the hotel has Sky Sports Golf. (I don't have Sky at home, so this is a bit of a treat).

Why oh why are they continuing to show the Heritage when there's a ladies MAJOR under way????

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Not quite that bad!
Fortunately went back this afternoon and tried both the demo and my own driver in the studio to confirm there are set up exactly the same.
Obviously my swing when I tested was a bit better than when i used my own driver for the first time. Need to focus on my path to get the results I am aiming for.
Today's session helped and gave me confidence that its still the right spec or me!

PaulMdj

Visit site
Just arrived in Belek, Turkey and the hotel has Sky Sports Golf. (I don't have Sky at home, so this is a bit of a treat).

Why oh why are they continuing to show the Heritage when there's a ladies MAJOR under way????
Ladies live coverage is on from 11pm UK time.