Golf Random Irritations

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I know it’s an old hackneyed irritation, but who on earth ever says, with the exception of golf commentators, fairway metal or 3 metal?
If you Google Ping 3 metal you are taken to a list of fairway woods - on a rare occurrence you might get Taylormade ‘3 Fairway’ but the word metal is not used.
No one I know uses the term, so why do commentators?

I call them metals, so as to differentiate from the works of art crafted in wood that I normally use. ;)

D-S

Visit site
I call them metals, so as to differentiate from the works of art crafted in wood that I normally use. ;)
You are the very definition of 'the exception that proves the rule' and perhaps one day when I take out the Joe Powell Smoker that I proudly possess I will follow your exception.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know it’s an old hackneyed irritation, but who on earth ever says, with the exception of golf commentators, fairway metal or 3 metal?
If you Google Ping 3 metal you are taken to a list of fairway woods - on a rare occurrence you might get Taylormade ‘3 Fairway’ but the word metal is not used.
No one I know uses the term, so why do commentators?
Or the word 3 carbon but give it time 😳

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
About to tee off the 4th this afternoon and I see two women and a stroller wander out across the fairway. Ok, there are public paths and they've maybe got lost but I'll wait for them to go, I'm in no rush. But they get to the left rough and stop. Let the little man out of the stroller and he started running around - it looks like they're taking photos of him. Are they serious? No chance they'll hear me and nobody else seemingly down there to have a word so I had to walk 200 yards down to them and tell them they need to get off the course for their own safety. Then walk 200 yards back to the tee. Some people are just utterly clueless.

NearHull

Visit site
About to tee off the 4th this afternoon and I see two women and a stroller wander out across the fairway. Ok, there are public paths and they've maybe got lost but I'll wait for them to go, I'm in no rush. But they get to the left rough and stop. Let the little man out of the stroller and he started running around - it looks like they're taking photos of him. Are they serious? No chance they'll hear me and nobody else seemingly down there to have a word so I had to walk 200 yards down to them and tell them they need to get off the course for their own safety. Then walk 200 yards back to the tee. Some people are just utterly clueless.
Well done for making sure they were safe - there are many who wouldn’t.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
When you need photos for FB you need photos for FB 🤷‍♂️

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
My mental & physical inability to play well from comp tees (regardless if it’s a comp) I find the 6,500yrds just brutal. Move one tee forward at 6,000 and golf is fun, mentally rewarding and somewhat achievable

Last edited:

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site

We have a similar problem with idiots walking acros the course - they don’t give a toss