Golf Random Irritations

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another pair of golf shoes where two of the spikes have broken. These ones lasted 17 months - although I only wear them in winter. Is that normal, for spikes to constantly break? Both are at the toe-end of the shoes.

1711098127060.png1711098144808.png

Sent the pics to Ecco, they've sent me a link to 'Zarma softspikes' to buy some more.

D

Deleted member 35504

Another pair of golf shoes where two of the spikes have broken. These ones lasted 17 months - although I only wear them in winter. Is that normal, for spikes to constantly break? Both are at the toe-end of the shoes.

View attachment 52481View attachment 52482

Sent the pics to Ecco, they've sent me a link to 'Zarma softspikes' to buy some more.
Just buy a new tub of those spikes and replace them as and when necessary, standard practice.

Mandofred

Visit site

I've occasionally had that happen....I don't take very good care of my shoes, but I do check the spikes every couple of times I wear them just to see if anything needs replacing. A guy I play with was complaining a few months ago about slipping too much when he was swinging....we took a look at the bottoms of his shoes...probably 80% of those spikes had broken off, he just needed to replace the spikes but he hadn't taken a good look at his shoes for quite a while.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just buy a new tub of those spikes and replace them as and when necessary, standard practice.
Well yeah, that's what I'm about to do. Knowing my luck I'll order the new spikes and then the shoe itself will break in a week's time. :LOL:

I've occasionally had that happen....I don't take very good care of my shoes, but I do check the spikes every couple of times I wear them just to see if anything needs replacing. A guy I play with was complaining a few months ago about slipping too much when he was swinging....we took a look at the bottoms of his shoes...probably 80% of those spikes had broken off, he just needed to replace the spikes but he hadn't taken a good look at his shoes for quite a while.
Yeah I just wonder how they break so easily when I only wear them when it's soft underfoot. There is a walk across a car park at mine, plus the odd path of course, but it's not like I'm racing across them at speed. I wonder if it's some of the crappy old teeing mats at ours that do the damage.

D

Deleted member 35504

Well yeah, that's what I'm about to do. Knowing my luck I'll order the new spikes and then the shoe itself will break in a week's time. :LOL:

Yeah I just wonder how they break so easily when I only wear them when it's soft underfoot. There is a walk across a car park at mine, plus the odd path of course, but it's not like I'm racing across them at speed. I wonder if it's some of the crappy old teeing mats at ours that do the damage.
Car park, path, teeing mats and age of the spikes... They just go unfortunately.

You don't have to get a specific brand, just find out what type they are, ie how they attach to the shoe, and either check in your pro shop or look online.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Car park, path, teeing mats and age of the spikes... They just go unfortunately.

You don't have to get a specific brand, just find out what type they are, ie how they attach to the shoe, and either check in your pro shop or look online.
Back in the day when I had spikes I used to check them every month. It wasn't unusual for one simply not to be there any longer, part of it snapped off etc, as you say. It just goes with the territory of spikes. I would just keep a pack (the brand Champ springs to mind) and change them over when needed.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Another irritation.. £16 for the spikes but wrench is not included so I have to spend another £5 on that as well. 🤦‍♂️
And since you've had these shoes for 17 months, you'll find that getting the old spikes out will be a struggle. Be prepared to dig little bits of grit out of the locating holes with a bradawl. I've even been known to drill the holes out so the wrench can get some purchase.

D-S

Visit site
Another irritation.. £16 for the spikes but wrench is not included so I have to spend another £5 on that as well. 🤦‍♂️
Get metal spikes, makes a satisfying crunching noise as you walk across the car park. They also don’t get clogged up with grass clipping like soft spikes when you sometimes end up walking with a mat of grass stuck to your shoes - just hope you don’t have wooden floors in the spike bar.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
And since you've had these shoes for 17 months, you'll find that getting the old spikes out will be a struggle. Be prepared to dig little bits of grit out of the locating holes with a bradawl. I've even been known to drill the holes out so the wrench can get some purchase.

I find running hot water on the soles of my shoes makes removing spikes a whole lot easier.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I found that I got so frustrated trying to get old spikes out that I ended up buying new shoes :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Had a pile of older shoes that I had tried to get the spiked out, got annoyed and so bought some new ones with a view to having another go at getting the spikes out later. I never did.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
This is now making me question whether I should just carry on with the broken ones. It's only a little bit broken off after all. :LOL:

I don’t think you’re likely to start losing your footing because a couple of teeth have broken off your spikes!

But if you do end up on your backside, the forum demands pictorial evidence.

😉

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm booked to play tomorrow morning. Probably the last time I will play at my current club before I move on. No rain due, woohooo, but they are forecasting strong winds and up to 40mph gusts :rolleyes:. It's windy here already but this is just a warm up to what is due. Frustrating to finish on a flat note.

D

Deleted member 35504

Get metal spikes, makes a satisfying crunching noise as you walk across the car park. They also don’t get clogged up with grass clipping like soft spikes when you sometimes end up walking with a mat of grass stuck to your shoes - just hope you don’t have wooden floors in the spike bar.
Agree.
Metal spikes when spikes are needed and then spikeless.

Easier said than done, and increases your chances of croaking it on the course, but a great combo.

Alan Clifford

Visit site

17 months is "constantly" breaking‽