Golf Random Irritations

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Pig ignorant Peasants who leave banana skins on marker posts on a golf course....when there's a bin 30 yards away and you have to walk past it to get to the next tee...
Some golfers need putting down... :mad:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Courses that can't be bothered to cut the fairway when the course is actually very dry (chelsfield lakes)

Society's that won't adjust their handicaps

Our society has some crazy handicap system that's become worse over the years ..now a lot have golf England you can see the handicaps can be wrong

Winner today 47 off 26
His actually official handicap is 15!!!!

Everytime we try and change the handicap the bandits pipe up they don't play often etc etc

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Courses that can't be bothered to cut the fairway when the course is actually very dry (chelsfield lakes)

Our society has some crazy handicap system that's become worse over the years ..now a lot have golf England you can see the handicaps can be wrong

Winner today 47 off 26

Everytime we try and change the handicap the bandits pipe up they don't play often etc etc

I think I'd be tempted to leave that society and start an alternative one .............................. sans banditos! ;)

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

Winner today 47 off 26

That’s ridiculous. The organiser of the society I play with has it as a condition of joining that you are “friends” with him on EG, so that he can keep an eye on handicaps.

If anyone hasn’t played three qualifiers in a rolling year he will do a little digging. If the player has been ill/injured they may gain a shot or two, but I can’t think of any reason why a society golfer with an official handicap of 15 should be allowed to play off a handicap a full 11 shots higher. Especially when the evidence is that they can still play to 15.

It’s cheating, pure and simple.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That’s ridiculous. The organiser of the society I play with has it as a condition of joining that you are “friends” with him on EG, so that he can keep an eye on handicaps.

If anyone hasn’t played three qualifiers in a rolling year he will do a little digging. If the player has been ill/injured they may gain a shot or two, but I can’t think of any reason why a society golfer with an official handicap of 15 should be allowed to play off a handicap a full 11 shots higher. Especially when the evidence is that they can still play to 15.

It’s cheating, pure and simple.

I've suggested changing the handicap tonight. I offered 3 way vote

1. I will work out everyone who doesn't have golf England handicap over this season and last then next year bring in
2. Lowest handicap of the 2
3. Stay as is

Only 2 people have agreed with me making it 3

Rest are all "it's a bit of fun"

It's really not as fun as they think tbh.

I worked out today's scores with people's golf England. It was so much more even and someone who has been so out of form at my club actually won by 2 shots. Felt like he played amazing today. Robbed of a win

The "winner" today still scored 37 points!!!!!

For me id like to once finish top 3 of the overall year scores. It's best 5 scores over the season. Last year I got 4 scores mid 30s then one in the 20s

Didn't stand a chance. When people hit 42 often ..

They are like but he's cut. He got cut 4.75 today .. so will be off 21. So still 15 too high. I think I'll just predict him winner now as 47 plus a high score next time is a massive head start.

At breakfast when I heard he was off 26 I checked golf England. Gave the old bandit dig.. and predicted he will win by 5

So I kind of won. Because he won by 5 🤣

Billysboots

Visit site
I can’t be doing with that sort of thing, Paul. A society needs to make a decision on whether it’s going to be a “bit of fun” or semi-serious but good natured with good company.

I used to be in a society through the cops which was really well run, great fun to be part of and one which booked some great venues at good prices. We had a team event in the morning (the fun bit) with a singles in the afternoon. It was perfect. Everyone had a chance in the morning, and the afternoon allowed for things to be a little more serious.

When the two organisers moved on two other guys took over, and things very quickly unravelled. They neglected issues around handicaps, and played some really daft formats which had regular members leaving in droves.

The demise of what had been a great society for over thirty years was the reigns being handed over to two guys who were, with respect, a pair of hackers who wanted to remould the society to suit themselves. They went too far in search of “a bit of fun” and ruined a great society as a result.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I've suggested changing the handicap tonight. I offered 3 way vote

1. I will work out everyone who doesn't have golf England handicap over this season and last then next year bring in
2. Lowest handicap of the 2
3. Stay as is

Only 2 people have agreed with me making it 3

Rest are all "it's a bit of fun"

It's really not as fun as they think tbh.

I worked out today's scores with people's golf England. It was so much more even and someone who has been so out of form at my club actually won by 2 shots. Felt like he played amazing today. Robbed of a win

The "winner" today still scored 37 points!!!!!

For me id like to once finish top 3 of the overall year scores. It's best 5 scores over the season. Last year I got 4 scores mid 30s then one in the 20s

Didn't stand a chance. When people hit 42 often ..

They are like but he's cut. He got cut 4.75 today .. so will be off 21. So still 15 too high. I think I'll just predict him winner now as 47 plus a high score next time is a massive head start.

At breakfast when I heard he was off 26 I checked golf England. Gave the old bandit dig.. and predicted he will win by 5

So I kind of won. Because he won by 5 🤣

All sounds a bit off.

I get societies can use their own handicaps, but just seems more effort than it’s worth. Just play off your handicap and if you want to take shots off the winner or whatever, do it from that for the next event 🤷🏼‍♂️.

Sounds like what is supposed to be fun, very much isn’t.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can’t be doing with that sort of thing, Paul. A society needs to make a decision on whether it’s going to be a “bit of fun” or semi-serious but good natured with good company.

I used to be in a society through the cops which was really well run, great fun to be part of and one which booked some great venues at good prices. We had a team event in the morning (the fun bit) with a singles in the afternoon. It was perfect. Everyone had a chance in the morning, and the afternoon allowed for things to be a little more serious.

When the two organisers moved on two other guys took over, and things very quickly unravelled. They neglected issues around handicaps, and played some really daft formats which had regular members leaving in droves.

The demise of what had been a great society for over thirty years was the reigns being handed over to two guys who were, with respect, a pair of hackers who wanted to remould the society to suit themselves. They went too far in search of “a bit of fun” and ruined a great society as a result.

Thing is our system is a joke but at one point it semi worked

It's 32 points is cut off

Then if you hit say 26 you get 0.25 back for every shot under 32 and every shot over you get 0.25 taken off

Then I said you must get cut one for winner because people were getting mid 20s on tough courses then going up

Now the main reason his handicap (and a few others) are high is they went to Celtic manor in October for 2 days end of year thing

So no adjustments to handicaps .. they scored poor and went up

It just doesnt work like that anymore really

I'm happy to turn up for bit of fun, pay the twos club as we all have a chance but why bother paying to enter the actual comp if its "just fun" when it's being cheated to win ...

Even the organiser was saying "oh Paul you know yours is the only handicap below your official one" I was like I know and I'm playing off it aswell because I'm not a cheat

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All sounds a bit off.

I get societies can use their own handicaps, but just seems more effort than it’s worth. Just play off your handicap and if you want to take shots off the winner or whatever, do it from that for the next event 🤷🏼‍♂️.

Sounds like what is supposed to be fun, very much isn’t.

Oh I've been firmly told we can't change now the season has started and been voted down on a change for next year it seems

"3. I don't play enough to have a handicap or to pay for the England Golf subscription. Our society is just a bit of fun, can't see a point in changing. Just my opinion."

Seems like all the votes didn't actually read the point that no cost was coming.. I was offering for free to work out handicaps

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Oh I've been firmly told we can't change now the season has started and been voted down on a change for next year it seems

"3. I don't play enough to have a handicap or to pay for the England Golf subscription. Our society is just a bit of fun, can't see a point in changing. Just my opinion."

Seems like all the votes didn't actually read the point that no cost was coming.. I was offering for free to work out handicaps
Sounds like time to find another society.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Seniors. Too slow.
30 to 45 year olds. Too slow.

Loads of practice swings.
Lasering every shot distance.
Taking ages to line up their putt. Replacing the ball on the green in exact desired position according to the lines on the ball.
And none of them seem to have mastered the skill of replacing the club in the bag while walking when carrying or with a trolley.
Oh so tedious.
;)

Last edited:

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Seniors. Too slow.

It's the young guys that are a problem. They hit it a long way but have no control. Us old farts reach the tee and one is still searching in the rough on the left, another is trampling the protected area outside the out-of-bounds fence on the right, a third maybe has his ball on the fairway but instead of playing it and then helping to look in the rough, he goes looking first. Eventually, he'll wander back to his ball.

Repeat on the next hole.

Billysboots

Visit site
I do hope this isn’t going to turn into a youngsters versus seniors slanging match!!

I’m sure we have all experienced excruciatingly slow seniors AND younger golfers. I know I have.

Every generation of golfer is equally capable of poor etiquette.

D

Deleted member 35504

I do hope this isn’t going to turn into a youngsters versus seniors slanging match!!

I’m sure we have all experienced excruciatingly slow seniors AND younger golfers. I know I have.

Every generation of golfer is equally capable of poor etiquette.
I only quoted and edited another post for a laugh 😁