Golf Random Irritations

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yes, Rule 13.3a says the player is allowed a reasonable time to reach the hole.
is there a definition of "reasonable"? sounds like there is nothing stopping you standing still while you watch the putt and wait x number of seconds to see if it drops, then casually saunter towards the ball, getting to it as slowly as you can?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm guessing the rule was brought in because players were taking the mick. Creating shade so that a piece of grass would wilt etc. How long is long enough 🤷‍♀️ . Maybe one of the rules guys can advise when it was brought in and the incident that caused it to be brought in?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
is there a definition of "reasonable"? sounds like there is nothing stopping you standing still while you watch the putt and wait x number of seconds to see if it drops, then casually saunter towards the ball, getting to it as slowly as you can?
Exactly. Next time one of my putts stops on the edge of the hole I'll be sure to 'accidentally' drop my putter on the ground, then realise that my laces need tightening on both shoes so I'd better do that before I start walking again....

RichA

Visit site
I'm guessing the rule was brought in because players were taking the mick. Creating shade so that a piece of grass would wilt etc. How long is long enough 🤷‍♀️ . Maybe one of the rules guys can advise when it was brought in and the incident that caused it to be brought in?
I'm more of a Google guy than a rules guy...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm more of a Google guy than a rules guy...

It didn't even drop after the 7 minutes so this only reinforces what I was saying. He should have been given an additional one-shot penalty for undue delay of play.

There cannot be many if any recorded incidents of it dropping after that amount of time. Waiting for the wind to blow it in is not the same. :ROFLMAO:

We've seen loads of incidents in the last few years of balls dropping in after 30 seconds or so, that to me indicates that 10 second rule is not adequate or fair. I don't know how they got from 7 minutes to 10 seconds anyway. If you absolutely must have a rule, make it one minute from when the ball was struck or something.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thank you for sharing that, I couldn't remember who it was. It took about 20 seconds to drop once he got to the hole, obviously all the players/caddies could see the ball was moving which is why they waited for it. I just cannot see any logic in penalising him a shot for that. The ball was moving and all he did was allow it to go in, which is the aim of the game after all.

PaulMdj

Visit site
You’ll see different “natural” reactions from players it has happened to, I’ve seen some drop to their knees in disbelief, some drop their putter and take 2-3 steps in the opposite direction, both then proceeded to the hole.

These actions are seen as natural, it’s the deliberate delay tactics they would get involved in.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Thank you for sharing that, I couldn't remember who it was. It took about 20 seconds to drop once he got to the hole, obviously all the players/caddies could see the ball was moving which is why they waited for it. I just cannot see any logic in penalising him a shot for that. The ball was moving and all he did was allow it to go in, which is the aim of the game after all.

It seems on review the Refs decided that the ball wasn't moving & was 'At Rest' so applied the hard and fast 10 sec limit (after he got there)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having two separate threads about irritations! Grrr!
The way I saw it, this thread is for more pernickety things that come up day to day, whereas the other thread is for grander things that really put a downer on the whole essence of golf for you. Only a small difference I'll grant you. :p

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

I just used the footage & twitter timer to time things

The ball stopped at hole-side at 7s on the vid, it dropped in at 45s. = 38 elapsed seconds
Player got to hole at 20s on that clip, got even closer to hole at 23s so waited at the hole for 22 or 25 seconds before it dropped
My eyes aren’t what they were but until it dropped, even zoomed in, I couldn’t see it moving

I’m sure I’ve seen ‘worse’ examples go unpunished on PGAT so it seems really harsh but providing this ‘new’ level of scrutiny is applied evenly going forward I'm ok with it

sjw

Visit site
The way I saw it, this thread is for more pernickety things that come up day to day, whereas the other thread is for grander things that really put a downer on the whole essence of golf for you. Only a small difference I'll grant you. :p
Well I do see the other thread every day so I guess I put this in the right one! ;)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just used the footage & twitter timer to time things

The ball stopped at hole-side at 7s on the vid, it dropped in at 45s. = 38 elapsed seconds
Player got to hole at 20s on that clip, got even closer to hole at 23s so waited at the hole for 22 or 25 seconds before it dropped
My eyes aren’t what they were but until it dropped, even zoomed in, I couldn’t see it moving

I’m sure I’ve seen ‘worse’ examples go unpunished on PGAT so it seems really harsh but providing this ‘new’ level of scrutiny is applied evenly going forward I'm ok with it
Yeah. Not much more to say from me now, I just think it's unnecessarily mean to the player and there's absolutely no need for it. It's a rule that ruins one of the lighter aspects of golf that normally produces a chuckle from all involved. Miserably busy-bodies run the game though I guess.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The bit I don’t get with these situations is… the ball is very clearly moving, hence the players are surrounding the cup to have a look… the ball can’t be simultaneously moving and be deemed to have come to rest…
One more thing I forgot to say as well... it's supposed to be an offence to hit a moving ball as well isn't it? So they can't win. :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 35504

It's a really clear rule, you get a reasonable time to get to the hole (eg what you would normally do for a tap in) then 10 seconds.

Not difficult or any grey area.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
It was supposed to be the first event of new golf society I have joined yesterday - rained off... I now cant make the rearranged date :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: sjw