Golf Random Irritations

sunshine

Visit site
The bit I don’t get with these situations is… the ball is very clearly moving, hence the players are surrounding the cup to have a look… the ball can’t be simultaneously moving and be deemed to have come to rest…

To me, it looked as though the ball stopped, and then started moving again a few seconds before dropping. It's a bit harsh on the player.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The thing is that you have to have a time limit and whatever limit is set there will be an instance where the ball drops 5 seconds too late.
The real issue, as has been pointed out already, is that they only allow 10 seconds for this but, seemingly, unlimited time to waggle your club or line up a putt.
It's no wonder less than full field events are on the rise..they've realised they can't get 156 players around a course in a day

PaulMdj

Visit site
The thing is that you have to have a time limit and whatever limit is set there will be an instance where the ball drops 5 seconds too late.
The real issue, as has been pointed out already, is that they only allow 10 seconds for this but, seemingly, unlimited time to waggle your club or line up a putt.
It's no wonder less than full field events are on the rise..they've realised they can't get 156 players around a course in a day
Good post, the only thing I’d add, at least in the 2 examples of slow play you mention, the players are actually doing something preparing to play.

Standing there watching and waiting for a ball to possibly move, they are doing nothing.

sunshine

Visit site
Stepping on to the tee and realising I'd left my ball in the hole on the previous green. And it's a 200 yard jog back to the green.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The bit I don’t get with these situations is… the ball is very clearly moving, hence the players are surrounding the cup to have a look… the ball can’t be simultaneously moving and be deemed to have come to rest…
It is a case of reading the full rule

13.3 Ball Overhanging Hole
13.3a Waiting Time to See If Ball Overhanging Hole Will Fall into Hole
If any part of a player’s ball overhangs the lip of the hole:
• The player is allowed a reasonable time to reach the hole and ten more seconds to
wait to see whether the ball will fall into the hole.
• If the ball falls into the hole in this waiting time, the player has holed out with the
previous stroke.
• If the ball does not fall into the hole in this waiting time:
» The ball is treated as being at rest.

» If the ball then falls into the hole before it is played, the player has holed out
with the previous stroke, but gets one penalty stroke added to the score for
the hole.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thank you for sharing that, I couldn't remember who it was. It took about 20 seconds to drop once he got to the hole, obviously all the players/caddies could see the ball was moving which is why they waited for it. I just cannot see any logic in penalising him a shot for that. The ball was moving and all he did was allow it to go in, which is the aim of the game after all.

You just know the situation in the normal world of us mortals

Hit into a par 3 close .. walking up. You get there . 12 seconds. It drops

You go wild, I've never had a hole in one.. one your pp is equally like nice one mate

Then you get the pga rules official .. actually it's a birdie you waited 2 seconds too long

PaulMdj

Visit site

I couldn’t think of an appropriate thread for this. Chislelhurt GC captains drive in…

What a way to kick off your captaincy year 😂
Another angle:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You just know the situation in the normal world of us mortals

Hit into a par 3 close .. walking up. You get there . 12 seconds. It drops

You go wild, I've never had a hole in one.. one your pp is equally like nice one mate

Then you get the pga rules official .. actually it's a birdie you waited 2 seconds too long
Definitely one of those rules that would get overlooked at clubs across the country I think. If my mate hits a putt that drops after 11 seconds there's no way I'm telling him it's a penalty shot. 😆

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Putter aside; With the acquisition of a pair of wedges everything in my bag is now Mizuno… except for the dam FW !

The irritation is that I have a lovely Mizuno JPX FW in the house which would satisfy my OCD munchies if I could stick it in the bag, but I just can’t hit it off the deck anywhere near as consistently as I can hit the cobra f-max (I suspect the flatter sole of the f-max suits me far better than the bowed sole on the jpx)

I’m doomed 😧

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
G425 driver has developed a bit of a rattle. The annoying thing is when I take it apart, there is no rattle from either the shaft or the club head, but stick them together and there is a definite rattle.

Half expected the head to fly off at some point when playing yesterday but it performed fine other than 2 poor drives at the end of the round which were user error.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Putter aside; With the acquisition of a pair of wedges everything in my bag is now Mizuno… except for the dam FW !

The irritation is that I have a lovely Mizuno JPX FW in the house which would satisfy my OCD munchies if I could stick it in the bag, but I just can’t hit it off the deck anywhere near as consistently as I can hit the cobra f-max (I suspect the flatter sole of the f-max suits me far better than the bowed sole on the jpx)

I’m doomed 😧
Make yourself a little laminated Mizuno logo and stick it on the Cobra head. Make sure you use a Mizuno headcover for it as well, just like the pros do when they want to disguise the fact they're not using their contracted gear. :LOL: