Golf Random Irritations

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Try a physio instead of chiropractor. One that is used to dealing with sports injuries will probably be able to give you a programme of exercises.

Totally agree. Numerous sessions with an osteopath at no small expense didn’t help my lower back one iota many years ago following a prolapse and trapped nerve.

Four sessions with a sports physio and I was as right as rain.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Fella off 19 who knocked me out of the winter comp, and when we finished on 15th had dropped 5 shots…played in medal yesterday. He’s been racking up 40-44+ pts regularly over winter period and only had to do a 22 over gross yesterday to get a cut in his HI.

And guess what…he knocks it round in 27 over. So no cut for many of his first round matches to be played before next medal. Let’s see if he puts in some GP cards to get his HI down to reflect his improvements over winter period.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Fella off 19 who knocked me out of the winter comp, and when we finished on 15th had dropped 5 shots…played in medal yesterday. He’s been racking up 40-44+ pts regularly over winter period and only had to do a 22 over gross yesterday to get a cut in his HI.

And guess what…he knocks it round in 27 over. So no cut for many of his first round matches to be played before next medal. Let’s see if he puts in some GP cards to get his HI down to reflect his improvements over winter period.

Decent prize money in the Winter Comp eh?:whistle:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

Surely, for the benefit of everyone at the club, it's your duty to 'out' him.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
My putting today, wow 😱
I used to think I was a reasonable putter, odd 3 putt but not too many, I’m now 3 putting most holes. I don’t fancy any putt like I used to, pace is way off etc etc.
Now looking by at new putters as it’s obviously the right thing to do 🤣

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My putting today, wow 😱
I used to think I was a reasonable putter, odd 3 putt but not too many, I’m now 3 putting most holes. I don’t fancy any putt like I used to, pace is way off etc etc.
New irons, eyes on wedges, eyes on putter 👀. It's going to be a sexy bag at your new club 😄.

What are you fancying?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
New irons, eyes on wedges, eyes on putter 👀. It's going to be a sexy bag at your new club 😄.

What are you fancying?

Ha ha maybe a mallet but not a fang style or huge thing. Been looking at Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 or 14. Not massively expensive so it wouldn’t be a huge loss if it doesn’t work. Lad I play with is a bit of a dealer so I’ll ask if he’s got a couple to try.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My putting today, wow 😱

Has your approach play improved? IE finding greens from further out.. I went through a big 3 putt phase but then noticed I was making greens in reg but miles from pin rather than being a few meters off and chipping it close then 2 putt

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My putting today, wow 😱
Putting is so random for me. The other week I went round with only 27 putts, sunk everything. This weekend I missed a one-footer and sunk nothing. I think it all hinges on my first two greens - hole something decent early and I'll putt well all day. If I miss one I'll hole nothing all day.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Has your approach play improved? IE finding greens from further out.. I went through a big 3 putt phase but then noticed I was making greens in reg but miles from pin rather than being a few meters off and chipping it close then 2 putt

You may have a point, I’m definitely hitting more greens in reg. I joined a new club recently as well, the greens are very deceptive and I’m not hitting the lines, but pace is a big problem at the minute.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So he would have got a cut from those wins then 🤷‍♂️
Nothing whatsoever in his handicap record that reflects any HI cut. His wins were both K/O comps and likewise I have never been cut as a result of winning a k/o comp. Thing is, he admits his HI should be lower than it is…and says he hopes to get it down. Maybe he was just trying too hard on Saturday in the first medal of the year - ending up shooting his worse round for yonks. But hey, I suppose that’s golf - though knowing that doesn’t make it much less irritating.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You may have a point, I’m definitely hitting more greens in reg. I joined a new club recently as well, the greens are very deceptive and I’m not hitting the lines, but pace is a big problem at the minute.
You're not lifting your head too quickly, are you? I know that when I'm putting badly, I am lifting my head to look at the putt and then as my putting gets worse, I lift my head quicker because I'm getting anxious about it - it's a slippery slope for me on putting

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
You're not lifting your head too quickly, are you? I know that when I'm putting badly, I am lifting my head to look at the putt and then as my putting gets worse, I lift my head quicker because I'm getting anxious about it - it's a slippery slope for me on putting

I’m really not sure, I need to spend an hour on the practice green and just concentrate on the stroke ignoring where the ball is going.

D

Deleted member 15344

Nothing whatsoever in his handicap record that reflects any HI cut. His wins were both K/O comps and likewise I have never been cut as a result of winning a k/o comp. Thing is, he admits his HI should be lower than it is…and says he hopes to get it down. Maybe he was just trying too hard on Saturday in the first medal of the year - ending up shooting his worse round for yonks. But hey, I suppose that’s golf - though knowing that doesn’t make it much less irritating.

So the point still stands

He does well in matchplay but struggles in comps where there is a card in the hand - the same situation for many people playing golf in clubs right now

Your handicap Committee should be reacting on those KO wins and adjusting handicap during annual review

But basically the irritation comes from you losing to someone of a higher handicap