Golf Random Irritations

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
2 young lads - teenagers - in a buggy behind behind us the other day.

They arrive at what is effectively the 9th tee as we are walking off it (our front and back 9s are reversed at the moment). No point letting them thru as the group in front (who we let thru on the 5th) have just played their second shots in front of us.

I say a friendly hello to them, get a grunt back.

Next hole is a 300 yard par 4. We are walking off the green, they are on the tee. Next thing a ball is whizzing past us, into a greenside bunker. No shout or anything. I give it the arms-outstretched "WTF" gesture, no response.

They back off for a bit, but our paths cross again at the 17th tee when they arrive at the previous green. I go over to them and say "do you realise you nearly hit us earlier?' Get a surly look, then one of them says "you should let us thru". No acknowledgement of nearly hitting us never mind an apology. I point out the next group are 300 yards in front of us, so there is no point letting them thru, particularly given we are on the 17th by now. Just get the surly stare treatment.

I tell them "just be a bit more effn careful in future" and walk off to silence from them. Probably shouldn't have sworn, but was so annoyed at their total lack of respect and manners. Checked BRS, they were visitors, so hopefully we won't see them again.

Old guy rant over.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

They arrive at what is effectively the 9th tee as we are walking off it (our front and back 9s are reversed at the moment). No point letting them thru as the group in front (who we let thru on the 5th) have just played their second shots in front of us.

Next hole is a 300 yard par 4. We are walking off the green, they are on the tee. Next thing a ball is whizzing past us, into a greenside bunker. No shout or anything. I give it the arms-outstretched "WTF" gesture, no response.

They back off for a bit, but our paths cross again at the 17th tee when they arrive at the previous green. I go over to them and say "do you realise you nearly hit us earlier?' Get a surly look, then one of them says "you should let us thru". No acknowledgement of nearly hitting us never mind an apology. I point out the next group are 300 yards in front of us, so there is no point letting them thru, particularly given we are on the 17th by now. Just get the surly stare treatment.

I tell them "just be a bit more effn careful in future" and walk off to silence from them. Probably shouldn't have sworn, but was so annoyed at their total lack of respect and manners. Checked BRS, they were visitors, so hopefully we won't see them again.

Old guy rant over.
I can't stand the attitude that not letting someone through on a busy course is somehow worse than nearly hitting someone with a golf ball. I wonder how they'd feel if they actually struck someone in the head? Say he deserved a concussion or worse for not letting them through? Morons.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Nearly had a major incident today.
Our 17th is very up and down.
My ball was at the bottom of the 2nd valley and as I walked down the hill I checked the pin position on the green as you can't see it from the valley. Back left.
Got to my ball and lined up the shot and hit what felt like a good one.
Off up the hill and as I get closer there's a greenkeeper, arms outstretched, giving me the WTF.
In-between me going out of sight of the green and playing the shot he had arrived from the other side to change the hole. There's no way on earth I could have known this and no way i would have hit the ball had I known he was there.
I offered my apologies but he stomped back to his truck and hightailed away... apparently he complained to the course Marshall..we shall see what develops.....

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
My ball was at the bottom of the 2nd valley and as I walked down the hill I checked the pin position on the green as you can't see it from the valley. Back left.
Off up the hill and as I get closer there's a greenkeeper, arms outstretched, giving me the WTF.
In-between me going out of sight of the green and playing the shot he had arrived from the other side to change the hole. There's no way on earth I could have known this and no way i would have hit the ball had I known he was there.
I offered my apologies but he stomped back to his truck and hightailed away... apparently he complained to the course Marshall..we shall see what develops.....
Not much you could do tbh, but like most clubs he would have priority. Can't see what the club could say against you.

D

Deleted member 15344

A lifetime ban from golf and to hand back any trophies recently won ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Not much you could do tbh, but like most clubs he would have priority. Can't see what the club could say against you.
Can't argue with any of that..he parked his truck close to the flag to keep the walking down to a minimum. If he'd parked it close to the front of the green I'd have been able to see it - problem solved...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Can't argue with any of that..he parked his truck close to the flag to keep the walking down to a minimum. If he'd parked it close to the front of the green I'd have been able to see it - problem solved...
Yes, though they have priority, you would hope they used "common sense" where there's blind shots involved

venger

Visit site

Old guy rant over.

Had this story told to me by a friend who'd had it told to him so not entirely true how much of the story is but, what apparently happened is the group behind had hit up close to them a few times, never shouted or apologized. When the offending group did it a fourth time (despite being warned) someone from the front group simply picked the ball up, teed up and drove it back at the group. Now whether this is true or not I don't know (I doubt it) but I've been tempted to do that

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Had this story told to me by a friend who'd had it told to him so not entirely true how much of the story is but, what apparently happened is the group behind had hit up close to them a few times, never shouted or apologized. When the offending group did it a fourth time (despite being warned) someone from the front group simply picked the ball up, teed up and drove it back at the group. Now whether this is true or not I don't know (I doubt it) but I've been tempted to do that
Saw similar happen Altrincham. The two groups in front (we were on the fairway running parallel) just started firing balls at each other.

Heard one bloke say "right, eff it. Send them back they've been firing balls at us all day" and proceeded to start hitting all the balls back at them ?.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I could never do it, no matter how tempting. Imagine the remorse you'd feel if you hit someone. And you couldn't even claim it was an accident as with most incidents of hitting other golfers. What I would do is kick their ball into the nearest hazard, or chip it out of bounds or something. Have also heard reports of people writing messages on the golf ball for the offending player as well...

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Saw similar happen Altrincham. The two groups in front (we were on the fairway running parallel) just started firing balls at each other.

Heard one bloke say "right, eff it. Send them back they've been firing balls at us all day" and proceeded to start hitting all the balls back at them ?.
Not a very clever move.....

venger

Visit site
I could never do it, no matter how tempting. Imagine the remorse you'd feel if you hit someone. And you couldn't even claim it was an accident as with most incidents of hitting other golfers. What I would do is kick their ball into the nearest hazard, or chip it out of bounds or something. Have also heard reports of people writing messages on the golf ball for the offending player as well...

I've "accidently" trod on a couple of balls. My brother had an incident where to ball came over the trees from the next fairway, so he put the ball in his bag and carried on as if nothing had happened.

Golfnut1957

Visit site

Old guy rant over.

A good swear is not only cathartic but also enjoyable in those circumstance that warrant it and most importantly is often the only thing that gets through. But mostly cathartic.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Back to my own irritation. Having a decent round going, getting to 11 and hitting my drive exactly where I want it, right side of fairway/right semi, only to arrive where my ball is and not be able to find it amongst the leaves.

All of which was compounded when walking up 12 and wandering over to where I knew my tee ball off 11 was and finding it immediately.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My Cutter & Buck waterproofs (jacket and trousers) got their first real test today. Absolutely bloody useless, I was soaked through to my boxers! Is it too much to ask for some actual waterproof gear that doesn't cost 300 odd quid? Bah. They can go straight in the bin then.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My Cutter & Buck waterproofs (jacket and trousers) got their first real test today. Absolutely bloody useless, I was soaked through to my boxers! Is it too much to ask for some actual waterproof gear that doesn't cost 300 odd quid? Bah. They can go straight in the bin then.
FJ hydroknit is the way forward mate.