Golf Random Irritations

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't say they are stuck in the past.

If the majority of their members prefer it that way then it's obviously a style that works on the present too.

I'd love Prince's to do something similar during the week as imo lots of clubs are closed shops with just mates playing together.

You never know, playing on a couple of roll ups might expand your circle of friends.
I play with other members on occasions in drawn competitions, and the matchplay event we just played in, and things like that. I don't really want to pay an extra fiver to do so in my weekly knockabout. Hopefully I'm just overreacting (has been known) and we'll still be able to get on the course when we want to anyway. I think the shoes comment just made my overall perception of his email that much worse. :LOL:

Last edited:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I play with other members on occasions in drawn competitions, and the matchplay event we just played in, and thinks like that. I don't really want to pay an extra fiver to do so in my weekly knockabout. Hopefully I'm just overreacting (has been known) and we'll still be able to get on the course when we want to anyway. I think the shoes comment just made my overall perception of his email that much worse. :LOL:
Oh I agree re the shoes. I do t nick I won a pair that I can’t drive in now, so no need for a change…..

I guess for next month your weekend golf is gonna be chasing the daylight, but overall should have plenty of options for rest of year.

D

Deleted member 31467

Yeah. Obviously renewal is end of April I think... so we're just going to carry on as normal and if we can't get on the course anymore then we'll just have to look elsewhere then.

Was more the shoes comment that gave me this impression. The membership as a whole seems to be quite old and stuck in their ways. I do believe it's archaic to not have a booking system - I don't know why they can't just incorporate roll-ups into one. i.e. just have certain times blocked out for roll-ups and the other times available for booking. Is it that hard? Do we need three roll-ups right across Saturday? Even if it is the majority that like roll-ups, should you only please the majority and sod everyone else? Not get any new members because the younger generations want to know what time they're playing?

Above all else it is my irritation because my golf club that I have enjoyed being a part of is moving further away from what I see is ideal. Surely not too hard to understand.
Does playing in the rollups not suit your requirements?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does playing in the rollups not suit your requirements?
Not really. There's three of us that normally play together on the weekends - if it was just two we could join another two or whatever. The roll-ups cost a fiver to enter as well and I don't really want to toss a fiver away for my weekly knockabout.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Not really. There's three of us that normally play together on the weekends - if it was just two we could join another two or whatever. The roll-ups cost a fiver to enter as well and I don't really want to toss a fiver away for my weekly knockabout.
Getting out there and meeting and playing with different members is part of being a member at a club for me. Roll ups are a nice way of becoming a part of the club. You and your mates should just try it once a month for until April and see how it goes. You never know, you might meet some nice folk. Also, you get to play on those days for sure.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site

There's likely a lone new member who doesnt know anyone who is crying out for a group of 3 that need a 4th.

You arent tossing a fiver away if you win.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There's likely a lone new member who doesnt know anyone who is crying out for a group of 3 that need a 4th.

In the booking system we use/were using you can add yourself to another group. We've had a few people do that before and join our three-ball and we welcome it. (y)

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

I’ve no real interest in playing in swindles and roll ups. I have a limited time to play golf. I need to know what time I’m playing and like to choose who I play with.

Not everyone wants to be intertwined into the social fabric of the golf club. It does appear that a limited number of the membership at many clubs get preferential treatment and tee times because of these roll ups. Maybe they are the ones who complain the loudest or are the times the committee members want to play.

It’s really not worth risking a fiver to be paired with someone who might tell me off for what I’m wearing ?.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You need to find one like my Saturday one which has an entry of £1, the winnings are largely irrelevant but simply act as a little incentive to compete...if I want to complete rather than just knock it round. If I win I might pocket £10-£14...and that's fine.

sunshine

Visit site
Just had an awful email from the club. I will quote some of it word for word to do it full justice.

"It is with great pleasure that we announce the return of the Saturday three tee start from 29th January.
Just rock up to one of the five weekend roll-ups, meet in the bar, pop your ball in the hat, wait for the draw, pop into the pro-shop to grab the next available tee and off you go. Simples. No booking. No organising. No planning in advance. Just the cast iron guarantee of a game."

Isn't this backwards? Surely the 'cast iron guarantee of a game' is to have your tee time booked?? He even ended it with this:

"So many of you have told me how much you are looking to getting back to the way things used to be before Covid. So may I make one more small request - can we stop changing our shoes in the car park and start using the changing rooms for the purpose with which they are intended?"
I just find that embarrassing to be honest. It's like, tell me you're a pompous old git without actually telling me. I was just starting to get over my reservations as it had all been good for the last few months as well.

This would annoy me no end:

1. The language. Looks like it's been written by Jay from the Inbetweeners. Total bell. Simples.
2. Roll ups are great. But sometimes you don't have time to hang around in the bar waiting for the draw, you just want to "rock up" at your allocated time and play. What if you can't get there at 8:45 but want to play at 10 or 11?
3. Roll ups are great. But every weekend? With no alternatives? This is just designed for people who aren't able to use a smartphone and have nothing to do all day other than sit in the clubhouse.
4. The shoes :cautious: - sorry but I would just ignore that and keep changing in the car park until someone provides me a valid reason other than "those are the rules". My main issue is that I don't think I'd want to be a member of a club which was that petty.

Grims Dyke is a very short and easy course. It's ideally suited to higher handicapped seniors. Are there any "good" or "younger" golfers there? This means the email probably reflects the views of the majority of members. Little point fighting it. If it was me, I'd be leaving for a more progressive club. There are loads in your area - probably going to cost you though :rolleyes:

sunshine

Visit site
You need to find one like my Saturday one which has an entry of £1, the winnings are largely irrelevant but simply act as a little incentive to compete...if I want to complete rather than just knock it round. If I win I might pocket £10-£14...and that's fine.

But there isn't one. He has three roll ups to choose from and no other options.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In the booking system we use/were using you can add yourself to another group. We've had a few people do that before and join our three-ball and we welcome it. (y)
Orik, do Clubs still have to have names down for track and trace? If so how is that managed please? Really sorry to hear of the problem you have.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This would annoy me no end:

1. The language. Looks like it's been written by Jay from the Inbetweeners. Total bell. Simples.
2. Roll ups are great. But sometimes you don't have time to hang around in the bar waiting for the draw, you just want to "rock up" at your allocated time and play. What if you can't get there at 8:45 but want to play at 10 or 11?
3. Roll ups are great. But every weekend? With no alternatives? This is just designed for people who aren't able to use a smartphone and have nothing to do all day other than sit in the clubhouse.
4. The shoes :cautious: - sorry but I would just ignore that and keep changing in the car park until someone provides me a valid reason other than "those are the rules". My main issue is that I don't think I'd want to be a member of a club which was that petty.

Grims Dyke is a very short and easy course. It's ideally suited to higher handicapped seniors. Are there any "good" or "younger" golfers there? This means the email probably reflects the views of the majority of members. Little point fighting it. If it was me, I'd be leaving for a more progressive club. There are loads in your area - probably going to cost you though :rolleyes:
Glad it's not just me. ? I will absolutely be continuing to change my shoes by the car. I cannot see the logic of my taking my shoes over to the changing room to put them on, and then walking back to my car to put my trainers back in the boot. ? I don't know if clubs just say this to try and force people into paying for lockers or what. Nonsense.

I've played with a few guys my age but yes I'm sure we're by far the minority. I will do a bit of research of the other clubs around, just a bit gutting as they will be more expensive, and GD is only 5 or 10 minutes drive for me which is great.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Orik, do Clubs still have to have names down for track and trace? If so how is that managed please? Really sorry to hear of the problem you have.
Err I have no idea about that, sorry. Maybe that was the reason they begrudgingly went to the booking system in the first place, who knows.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I might be too thick to understand but doesn't a 3 tee start cause chaos? It should be 'simples" I guess.
Well it's not compatible with a booking system I guess. Up until now we've had a two-tee system - in the morning you can book times on the 1st, or roll-up to the 10th, and in the afternoon vice versa - but due to the multiple tee start you weren't allowed to tee off between 10 and 12, which was a bugbear of mine already as we used to play at 11 when it was full tee booking after the 2021 lockdown.

NearHull

Visit site
WRT shoe changing, different clubs - different attitudes. At my old club in Cambridgeshire, I once received a letter from the Club President admonishing me for changing my shoes in the car park. Admittedl, I knew I shouldn’t have done so, it was one of the club rules. Fast forward to a move up here, everyone changes shoes in the car park, including the Club President. It is the norm for all the clubs that Ive played in Yorkshire- circa 40 clubs .

AliMc

Visit site
Glad it's not just me. ? I will absolutely be continuing to change my shoes by the car. I cannot see the logic of my taking my shoes over to the changing room to put them on, and then walking back to my car to put my trainers back in the boot. ? I don't know if clubs just say this to try and force people into paying for lockers or what. Nonsense.

I've played with a few guys my age but yes I'm sure we're by far the minority. I will do a bit of research of the other clubs around, just a bit gutting as they will be more expensive, and GD is only 5 or 10 minutes drive for me which is great.
I think if someone pulled me up for changing my shoes in the car park I would be looking to play somewhere else tbh

sunshine

Visit site
WRT shoe changing, different clubs - different attitudes. At my old club in Cambridgeshire, I once received a letter from the Club President admonishing me for changing my shoes in the car park. Admittedl, I knew I shouldn’t have done so, it was one of the club rules. Fast forward to a move up here, everyone changes shoes in the car park, including the Club President. It is the norm for all the clubs that Ive played in Yorkshire- circa 40 clubs .

Is that because in Cambridgeshire it's offensive to show your socks in public?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well it's not compatible with a booking system I guess. Up until now we've had a two-tee system - in the morning you can book times on the 1st, or roll-up to the 10th, and in the afternoon vice versa - but due to the multiple tee start you weren't allowed to tee off between 10 and 12, which was a bugbear of mine already as we used to play at 11 when it was full tee booking after the 2021 lockdown.
From the Club’s Web Page

“Everybody gets a game at Grim’s Dyke Golf Club!” That’s our motto and reputation. There is no formal tee-booking system, no cliques or privileged groups – we just turn up and have a game! It’s wonderful!”

There you have it!