Golf Random Irritations

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
First round in two months. Hit the ball surprisingly well but had the finesse of an articulated lorry around the greens. Nice weather so only mildly irritated.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I didn't know Smiffy was a member at your club. ;)

Smiffy is a gent (no honest). This guy is an argumentative knob at the best of times and he looked like he was sucking on a lemon when the organiser announced my name and gave me the cash. Winner has to buy everyone a beer and was tempted to forget him but I got him one (well the "bitch who's job it was) did

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just had an awful email from the club. I will quote some of it word for word to do it full justice.

"It is with great pleasure that we announce the return of the Saturday three tee start from 29th January.
Just rock up to one of the five weekend roll-ups, meet in the bar, pop your ball in the hat, wait for the draw, pop into the pro-shop to grab the next available tee and off you go. Simples. No booking. No organising. No planning in advance. Just the cast iron guarantee of a game."

Isn't this backwards? Surely the 'cast iron guarantee of a game' is to have your tee time booked?? He even ended it with this:

"So many of you have told me how much you are looking to getting back to the way things used to be before Covid. So may I make one more small request - can we stop changing our shoes in the car park and start using the changing rooms for the purpose with which they are intended?"
I just find that embarrassing to be honest. It's like, tell me you're a pompous old git without actually telling me. I was just starting to get over my reservations as it had all been good for the last few months as well.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's a joke surely?

If not then your club is a joke.....
Fully agreed. They sent a survey round in October, which me and my mates filled out, stating that the booking system needs to be improved so that people can play when they want to. Yesterday they emailed to say they will publish the results of that survey soon. But today we get this nonsense. It's just two steps backwards and so disappointing and embarrassing.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Just had an awful email from the club. I will quote some of it word for word to do it full justice.

"It is with great pleasure that we announce the return of the Saturday three tee start from 29th January.
Just rock up to one of the five weekend roll-ups, meet in the bar, pop your ball in the hat, wait for the draw, pop into the pro-shop to grab the next available tee and off you go. Simples. No booking. No organising. No planning in advance. Just the cast iron guarantee of a game."

Isn't this backwards? Surely the 'cast iron guarantee of a game' is to have your tee time booked?? He even ended it with this:

"So many of you have told me how much you are looking to getting back to the way things used to be before Covid. So may I make one more small request - can we stop changing our shoes in the car park and start using the changing rooms for the purpose with which they are intended?"
I just find that embarrassing to be honest. It's like, tell me you're a pompous old git without actually telling me. I was just starting to get over my reservations as it had all been good for the last few months as well.
Did you know of this booking system prior to you joining?

Fully agreed. They sent a survey round in October, which me and my mates filled out, stating that the booking system needs to be improved so that people can play when they want to. Yesterday they emailed to say they will publish the results of that survey soon. But today we get this nonsense. It's just two steps backwards and so disappointing and embarrassing.

Or more people wanted the roll ups and you and your mates were in the minority?

D

Deleted member 31467

Lots of people like rollups. The sensible thing to do is go with what the majority want.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did you know of this booking system prior to you joining?

Or more people wanted the roll ups and you and your mates were in the minority?
When we joined (Dec 20) we met with the general manager, he told us they had recently implemented an online booking system. He said there was some resistance from some of the membership but you have to move with the times etc. So we were happy anyway, but unfortunately that manager moved on several months later. Perhaps the club wasn't ready to be dragged into the 21st century.
Lots of people like rollups. The sensible thing to do is go with what the majority want.
Have roll-ups of course, but all roll-ups all of the time?? Surely as a paying member you should be able to play without being in a bloody roll-up?? I didn't include this part of his email but in the detail breakdown it was early Saturday/Sunday roll-up (from 8am), late Sat/Sun morning roll-up (from 8:45am) and Saturday lunch-time roll-up (from midday). And you're not allowed to play in the times in between because it's a three-tee start so you can't get on the course. Doesn't really leave many times available.

And you're both quite right, it obviously appears that we are the minority, not disputing that. It doesn't make it any less disappointing. I like the club, it's very local and convenient, and affordable - but if they remain stuck in the past and we can't play as and when we'd like to then we'll have to look elsewhere which would be a huge shame.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
bought a 7 wood last week and it arrived yesterday afternoon. the face has the usual playing marks which isn't an issue but the shaft is an inch shorter than standard and it was mentioned in the listing.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
In your shoes I think I'd have to be looking at moving. If I tried telling my missus that I didn't have a set tee time and needed to be up there an hour early to get my name in the draw she'd tell me to go swivel - and rightly so.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
And you're both quite right, it obviously appears that we are the minority, not disputing that. It doesn't make it any less disappointing. I like the club, it's very local and convenient, and affordable - but if they remain stuck in the past and we can't play as and when we'd like to then we'll have to look elsewhere which would be a huge shame.

Why are they stuck in the past if it suits the majority of their members?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In your shoes I think I'd have to be looking at moving. If I tried telling my missus that I didn't have a set tee time and needed to be up there an hour early to get my name in the draw she'd tell me to go swivel - and rightly so.
Yeah. Obviously renewal is end of April I think... so we're just going to carry on as normal and if we can't get on the course anymore then we'll just have to look elsewhere then.

Why are they stuck in the past if it suits the majority of their members?
Was more the shoes comment that gave me this impression. The membership as a whole seems to be quite old and stuck in their ways. I do believe it's archaic to not have a booking system - I don't know why they can't just incorporate roll-ups into one. i.e. just have certain times blocked out for roll-ups and the other times available for booking. Is it that hard? Do we need three roll-ups right across Saturday? Even if it is the majority that like roll-ups, should you only please the majority and sod everyone else? Not get any new members because the younger generations want to know what time they're playing?

Above all else it is my irritation because my golf club that I have enjoyed being a part of is moving further away from what I see is ideal. Surely not too hard to understand.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
When we joined (Dec 20) we met with the general manager, he told us they had recently implemented an online booking system. He said there was some resistance from some of the membership but you have to move with the times etc. So we were happy anyway, but unfortunately that manager moved on several months later. Perhaps the club wasn't ready to be dragged into the 21st century.

Have roll-ups of course, but all roll-ups all of the time?? Surely as a paying member you should be able to play without being in a bloody roll-up?? I didn't include this part of his email but in the detail breakdown it was early Saturday/Sunday roll-up (from 8am), late Sat/Sun morning roll-up (from 8:45am) and Saturday lunch-time roll-up (from midday). And you're not allowed to play in the times in between because it's a three-tee start so you can't get on the course. Doesn't really leave many times available.

I wouldn't say they are stuck in the past.

If the majority of their members prefer it that way then it's obviously a style that works on the present too.

I'd love Prince's to do something similar during the week as imo lots of clubs are closed shops with just mates playing together.

You never know, playing on a couple of roll ups might expand your circle of friends.