Golf Random Irritations

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Yesterday played with a fella who got two shots on ten holes as there was no handicap limit in the comp we were in. He was in my team so that was ok ??. Perhaps more highlights that ‘no handicap limit’ can give rise to resentments in others in the field…yes much of the time the player needs the shots - but if he gets it right he can rack up a shedload of points - as my buddy did yesterday when scoring 45 s/Ford points and winning the individual comp.
Sounds like Fragger.....except for the 45 point bit....:LOL:
There's a 400 yard hole on our course that he gets 2 shots on and I get none.
The other week I had to give him a 360 yard head start as his 2 shots got him to 40 yards short of the green.....:eek:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Is this a joke? When you move your marker you use your putter head, in line with a static object (i.e. a tree or something in your eyeline) to measure it. So moving the ball you would just use the same process for the same result. ??‍♂️

It might just be that a player wants to pick his ball up to wipe some mud off it so something need to mark where it is otherwise penalty shots will apply.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In a nett comp qualifier for a national comp - scratch lad at my place shoots a gross 67 (5 under) including four birdies and a hole in one in the final five holes - to come second ?. He shrugged…it’s a nett comp…he won the gross…?

Last edited:

NearHull

Visit site
Yet another 4BB Open today played at 100% allowance. Winning score (as we left) 53 points, 9 and 24 handicaps, followed by 3 pairs of 50 points. I queried the Professional why they were not complying with the mandatory allowances, ( he was registering and filling out the cards ) - he said the Seniors ran one competition in June at 100% and therefore felt that they should keep to it.

Can anyone make any sense of this answer? Low handicap players - and I am not a low handicap - are put at a disadvantage by the club breaking the rules. The club is Wetherby. I will be contacting the Yorkshire Golf Union (again). This is the third instance that I am aware of this year of Opens not following the mandatory allowances.

tobybarker

Visit site
Yet another 4BB Open today played at 100% allowance. Winning score (as we left) 53 points, 9 and 24 handicaps, followed by 3 pairs of 50 points. I queried the Professional why they were not complying with the mandatory allowances, ( he was registering and filling out the cards ) - he said the Seniors ran one competition in June at 100% and therefore felt that they should keep to it.

Can anyone make any sense of this answer? Low handicap players - and I am not a low handicap - are put at a disadvantage by the club breaking the rules. The club is Wetherby. I will be contacting the Yorkshire Golf Union (again). This is the third instance that I am aware of this year of Opens not following the mandatory allowances.
Your going to squeal on your own committee? Have fun at the Christmas party, then

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Practicing chipping/pitching from 30 yards and getting the ball to check and stop next to the hole on the third bounce. Guaranteed that when I go out to the course for a game in a couple of hours I’ll be 10 foot short/long of the hole when I try the same technique ?

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Practicing chipping/pitching from 30 yards and getting the ball to check and stop next to the hole on the third bounce. Guaranteed that when I go out to the course for a game in a couple of hours I’ll be 10 foot short/long of the hole when I try the same technique ?
Always wanted to be able to that, don't think I will ever be able to.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As you'll have seen, I've recently been irritated by my club's bizarre weekend system where we can only play before 10 or after 12:30. Well today we turned up around 12:15, asked if we could get out this afternoon and the answer was no - it's captains charity day and shotgun start on the afternoon times. The times we can actually play on our own course seem to be getting fewer and farther between. We had to drive to a nearby public course and pay to play there instead. Our club's attitude to communication and customer service is absolutely rubbish.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Popped to the driving range earlier and hit 50 balls.

I am now the proud owner of a dirty great blister on my right thumb. Didn’t feel a thing until the last ball.

Normally not a major issue but I’m playing a corporate day at The London club on Monday

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Semi final match tomorrow, went and hit some balls. Wife wanted to get out for a walk, apparently I covered 11miles … gonna be hanging tomorrow! Fingers crossed we can close out fast or get knocked out fast!!!!

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Having a ball come past you once can be a mistake. A second time is deliberate and would result in their ball going missing. A third time and its getting returned via airmail.

I've seen someone rest a ball that come past us on a tee in the past. So the person who hit it had no choice but to move it and incur a penalty.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Playing a competition yesterday; a 36 hole medal (in one day), which is one of our 'prestigious' events - always follows 1 week after the main Open Am event so the course is at it's absolute toughest.

I was last group out, and in a 2 ball after a late withdrawal, so already a bit peeved. After teeing off down the 1st, a foursomes match followed us onto the tee. Whilst we were putting out on the first hole, they were already standing in the middle of the fairway practice swinging and as soon as we stepped off of the green, balls were landing.

On the 2nd, 3rd hole - same thing.
On the 4th, one of their drives went beyond where my playing partner was standing (playing his shot) by 15 yards.
On the 5th, whilst my playing partner was hitting his approach from the fairway, one of the foursomes was wheeling his trolley (didn't stop walking) up 20 yards behind us. And before his shot had even landed, he chirped "You gonna let us through then lads?"

Worth noting, we were obviously a 2 ball and keeping comfortably up with the group in front - in fact, holding back a bit to avoid waiting on every shot for the entire 36 holes!!

We obviously said no, it's a 36 hole medal and they'll have to wait. He then said "Pro's orders, we're to play through everyone we come up behind, comp or not - you're holding us up and clearly rushing".

I was put in a position I didn't want to be in, either letting them through (hence delaying us, shortening our already quick lunch), or having a big row and continuing to have them shoot balls up our backsides for another 13 holes.

We then waited on every shot for the next 2 holes before they then rudely pushed through the next group up. Both me and my PP proceeded to become very distracted, and both had a bit of a meltdown to ruin our scores.

Tough one.

Some places matches take priority, but matches shouldn’t take place during a comp. that’s just ridiculous.

But I wouldn’t be greatly impressed by “hanging back”. Ideally you should be making progress through the groups. You are the faster group so should be getting let through or making that effort. Not delaying play.
Obviously it’s club and members dependant on if that works at yours (It wouldn’t at mine as we have a Marshall and a angry lad in the pro shop who would rather be hitting balls).I’ve been in a two ball and heard it all. “You won’t get anywhere” is usually a favourite by people who fear they will get held up or their ego may break. A call to the shop usually sorts that.
Funnily enough you do actually get somewhere and that’s usually through about three groups into a wide expanse.