Golf Random Irritations

sunshine

Visit site
Except if the ball hits a marker no penalties are given out.
Jeez..just move it...I can't remember the last time I had to move a marker...
If it happens that often it's a freak of nature, not normality

True. But Orikoru's point (I think) was that if you have to move the ball marker so that it was out of the way, you might as well just move your ball.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
True. But Orikoru's point (I think) was that if you have to move the ball marker so that it was out of the way, you might as well just move your ball.
Yeah, exactly. If the marker doesn't allow the ball to roll over it then it's a pointless exercise having it. You might as well just move the ball to get it off the player's line and then move it back. Absolutely no different to replacing it with a marker, and then moving it off the line and then moving it back - except it's one fewer step. :LOL:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

Which you can, but how do you know where to return the ball to if something else isnt left there to mark the exact spot?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
How far are you thinking of moving this ball off my line?
I'd want it 3 or 4 feet off my line at least.....if youre thinking a putter head or two you can think again....

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Which you can, but how do you know where to return the ball to if something else isnt left there to mark the exact spot?
Is this a joke? When you move your marker you use your putter head, in line with a static object (i.e. a tree or something in your eyeline) to measure it. So moving the ball you would just use the same process for the same result. ??‍♂️

sunshine

Visit site
I use one. Much easier/quicker to locate your marker

Fair enough if you have to rummage around your handbag for your marker :LOL:. Or have you got massive pockets?

I just have a couple of tees, pitchmark repairer and ball marker in my right hand pocket so quick and easy to find.

sunshine

Visit site
How far are you thinking of moving this ball off my line?
I'd want it 3 or 4 feet off my line at least.....if youre thinking a putter head or two you can think again....

Isn't this the same as a poker chip marker though? You'd want it a yard off your line. Maybe a club's length.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Is this a joke? When you move your marker you use your putter head, in line with a static object (i.e. a tree or something in your eyeline) to measure it. So moving the ball you would just use the same process for the same result. ??‍♂️

Then I toe it and hit your ball for a 2 shot penalty :ROFLMAO:

Brilliantly - I actually use a poker chip too btw :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: It does have a smaller marker that clips off it though for when really needed!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Brilliantly - I actually use a poker chip too btw :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: It does have a smaller marker that clips off it though for when really needed!
Obviously we're talking in hypotheticals here, so if you got rid of markers you'd get rid of that penalty ruling which is daft anyway.

sunshine

Visit site

But if he used another ball as a marker it wouldn't be a penalty. I think I'll do that next time I play with someone who uses a poker chip. I'm playing a Titliest 2 but using a Tiltleist 4 as my ball marker :ROFLMAO:

Also, you're saying you carry 2 ball markers: a useful one that serves a purpose (doesn't get in the way), so then why carry a useless one as well? Just to annoy people? Good match play tactic :ROFLMAO:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
But if he used another ball as a marker it wouldn't be a penalty. I think I'll do that next time I play with someone who uses a poker chip. I'm playing a Titliest 2 but using a Tiltleist 4 as my ball marker :ROFLMAO:

Also, you're saying you carry 2 ball markers: a useful one that serves a purpose (doesn't get in the way), so then why carry a useless one as well? Just to annoy people? Good match play tactic :ROFLMAO:

Nah theyre attached :ROFLMAO: The middle of the poker chip pops off to be an unintrusive marker.

You can often need to just quickly mark, clean ball and replace, much easier with a chip than a marker the size of a 5p and easier to locate in my pocket!

sunshine

Visit site
Sounds a lot of faff. I think if I played golf with Paige Spiranac I would insist on her using a poker chip ball marker, so she would have to keep bending over to repeatedly move her marker on every green.

D

Deleted member 15344

Inane comebacks like these.

I wasn't judging the character of the player, just the nature of their choice.

You weren’t

They are rather ‘look at me’ are they not. That said…my club sells them in the shop…so there is obviously sufficient market for them…though often I am asked when one is used whether or not I am ok with it as it is rather large. A little baffling why those who use actually bother as most who use them seem to know they can be distracting or obstructive for others. Anyway. A pretty minor golfing irritation indeed.

That was

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Rain, rain and more bleedin' rain!!:mad:
Well that's put paid to getting fellow forumner up to my place today, thankfully been re-scheduled for Thurs.,,when forecast seems o.k.:cautious:+ fingers x'd??
Only happens when course is looking the best its been all year-Oh well, fingers crossed ( pity the greens have just been cored:cry:
Why can't it rain for a couple of hours at night and be lovely during the day????

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Except I’d then ask you to mark the position of your ball and lift it ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yesterday played with a fella who got two shots on ten holes as there was no handicap limit in the comp we were in. He was in my team so that was ok ??. Perhaps more highlights that ‘no handicap limit’ can give rise to resentments in others in the field…yes much of the time the player needs the shots - but if he gets it right he can rack up a shedload of points - as my buddy did yesterday when scoring 45 s/Ford points and winning the individual comp.