Golf Random Irritations

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Highs and lows of golf

Played an open on Monday won nearest the pin on the 18th woke up the next day with an Achilles strain so no golf for a while.

At least I can drown my sorrows with the whiskey (Bourbon) and wine I won.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The late 50s (I’m guessing) yr old fella I played with yesterday off 23 who took the game up in April, but swings and strikes the ball like a SF handicapper.

Of course this is all down to him playing other various stick and ball games since a kid so his hand-to-eye coordination is superb, and he has the golf fearlessness of a young lad. But when like me you’re struggling, and you meet and play with such a nice guy playing as he did, well I didn‘t know whether to ? or ?.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As I rebuild my game I am working hard on establishing ‘process’ - I have previously played without any process to my shot-making to talk of. However I am having problems with an important aspect of it, in that I have discovered that my alignment was very right biased when I thought it was straight.

I have discovered this when I pick an alignment spot in the ground. When I address the ball my head is convinced the spot is aligned for a shot way left, and I now know that it’s not. I am working on accepting this, but it is especially difficult when putting as my focus is so much on believing my spot on the green is ‘correct’, and not ‘way left’, that my distance control has gone out of the window - hitting most putts terribly short. But at least I know what I have to work on ?

As if the game wasn‘t hard enough. Anyway - off to the course shortly for 9 holes by myself to build on what I’m doing on the range.

Last edited:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A thin marker such as a small coin is one thing..... Even if it's slightly off your line and you still manage to hit it (which of us always hits it on our intended line?) Turn there's not much harm done. But thick chips? They can and do stop your ball. So you end up having to continually ask them to move it. It's an irritation, that's all. I never said it was the end of the world.
Honestly, how many times in a round do you actually have to ask to have a marker moved? In our fourball, if 1 marker per round gets moved that is all. I can’t believe you have to ask continually- unless people you play with are using dinner plates!!! ?

MrGrumtastic

Visit site
Honestly, how many times in a round do you actually have to ask to have a marker moved? In our fourball, if 1 marker per round gets moved that is all. I can’t believe you have to ask continually- unless people you play with are using dinner plates!!! ?
I had to ask for one to be moved today... then hit it anyway! ?‍♂️

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
"It’s going to be a slow one today", it wouldn’t be had you let us through on the 2nd when you stopped to look for balls 60yds off the tee….

sunshine

Visit site
I don't know why they exist. I thought the whole point of a marker was to remove the obstacle of a ball potentially being struck, and replace it with something flat that a ball could easily roll over with deviating much. You can't roll it over a poker chip, it would hit it and change direction - so it's not fit for purpose.

Next time, just mark the position of your ball with another ball :LOL:. It's similar size to a poker chip.