Golf Random Irritations

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Guy I beat in a k/o match yesterday evening was hugely irritated by the way he lost.

5 down to me at the turn he got back to 2 down as we teed off on 15th. I was worried as my game was gradually falling apart (as it seems to do these days after a good front 9 - I had been gross one over). He smacked the ball - and neither of us saw it. I stuck my tee shot down there and in good position. We couldn’t find his ball - we didn’t know where to even start looking. Match over.

He was not a happy bunny…most very irritated. I was relieved, though can’t say it’s a great way to win a match I’ll take it.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Guy I beat in a k/o match yesterday evening was hugely irritated by the way he lost.

5 down to me at the turn he got back to 2 down as we teed off on 15th. I was worried as my game was gradually falling apart (as it seems to do these days after a good front 9 - I had been gross one over). He smacked the ball - and neither of us saw it. I stuck my tee shot down there and in good position. We couldn’t find his ball - we didn’t know where to even start looking. Match over.

He was not a happy bunny…most very irritated. I was relieved, though can’t say it’s a great way to win a match I’ll take it.

You are on the 15th and he is two down. You win the 15th. He is now 3 down.
16 17 and 18 still to play. How come the match is over??

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You are on the 15th and he is two down. You win the 15th. He is now 3 down.
16 17 and 18 still to play. How come the match is over??
Oops - not 15th…16th…I had a mare of a three putt from 6ft on 15th…lipping out twice, 2nd time being a horseshoe from about 2ft…I lost the hole and was very irritated with myself. Clearly I have not yet put that horrid 3 putt into the past.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When you have a spent an hour one day on the putting green ironing out a fault only for that fault to reappear next day on the final putt on the 18th green and had it gone in you would have won the money.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just had an email from the club saying one of our par 4s has been shortened to a par 3 with immediate effect because somebody smashed a ball over the adjacent fence and hit a car on the road! :oops:

I have played a few course where I have thought - "that fence is never going to make any difference".

I once played Hurtmore (near Guildford) the first has the A3 running to the left of it, 2 of the guys I was playing with sent their ball sailing over the fence. I was waiting for the screech of brakes but luckily they never came.

Our club is next to the A30, back in the 60s when they were putting in a dual carriageway, the road authorities paid the club to move one hole because they considered there to be a be risk of ball landing on the road.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have a scratch cup which obviously is the best score and won by a 4h/c and imo should be the club champion but a 25 h/c won the club championship which I always find a bit strange.

Our Club Championship is a scratch event we also run a concurrent Club Handicap Championship and we do the same for the Senior Championship.

It is possible for one player to be both in the same year.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our Club Championship is a scratch event we also run a concurrent Club Handicap Championship and we do the same for the Senior Championship.

It is possible for one player to be both in the same year.

As the scratch winner is the most important trophy I think our club then give the club championship trophy to the h/c winner

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Likely not the norm but our club only run handicap events (year round) so while the best golfer (gross) at club champs gets the same prize as the net winner, the net player is the Club Champion

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Likely not the norm but our club only run handicap events (year round) so while the best golfer (gross) at club champs gets the same prize as the net winner, the net player is the Club Champion

I'd be pretty irritated standing there having shot 68, while they had the Championship Trophy to a bloke who shot 108!

Mind you, I'd feel blooming embarrassed being the bloke who had to make the acceptance speech too!

We have a championship weekend in May - a trophy for gross and net. The top 16 qualify for a scratch knockout to decide the "club champion." The final is played on a finals weekend in September. Club Champion, means something, it's not "another Medal"

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Some guys get very upset with themselves and will probably put it down to the rough on that last hole, but to him I would say, what were you doing 5 down at the turn?!

It’s never one shot unless it’s a playoff hole. Well done on the win, march on!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Some guys get very upset with themselves and will probably put it down to the rough on that last hole, but to him I would say, what were you doing 5 down at the turn?!

It’s never one shot unless it’s a playoff hole. Well done on the win, march on!
He did say to me as we walked off 9th with me 5 up that he shouldn’t be so hard on himself as I was probably level par - in fact I was one over (I then went bogeys - double, double, single…drats - got to sort that - irritating)

On the 16th neither of us saw the ball off the clubface. we had no idea whether it was left, right or centre - and with knee deep rough left and right it was a needle in a haystack search. Cheesed him off that he never saw it rather than couldn't find it. I did help him look, of course I did.

Onwards and upwards

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'd be pretty irritated standing there having shot 68, while they had the Championship Trophy to a bloke who shot 108!

Mind you, I'd feel blooming embarrassed being the bloke who had to make the acceptance speech too!

We have a championship weekend in May - a trophy for gross and net. The top 16 qualify for a scratch knockout to decide the "club champion." The final is played on a finals weekend in September. Club Champion, means something, it's not "another Medal"

Max h/cap allowance is 24 for that comp but I get your point (although I don't think there's ever been a winner off 24 anyway) usually goes to someone in the 5 to 12 range; two rounds & a halfway cut tends to weed out the guys who shoot around the ton mark

No embarrassment that I've seen from past winners, its always been a handicap competition so its not as if its changed (which might've been a little awkward)

A relatively small membership also means its not practical to do gross

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He did say to me as we walked off 9th with me 5 up that he shouldn’t be so hard on himself as I was probably level par - in fact I was one over (I then went bogeys - double, double, single…drats - got to sort that - irritating)

On the 16th neither of us saw the ball off the clubface. we had no idea whether it was left, right or centre - and with knee deep rough left and right it was a needle in a haystack search. Cheesed him off that he never saw it rather than couldn't find it. I did help him look, of course I did.

Onwards and upwards

Our place is the same, if you don’t watch it like a hawk and get a great line on it you have no hope. Even when you do it’s dicey! So if you’ve not seen it, forget about it, and it can’t have been a good shot if neither of you saw it. In fact it was probably awful ? So yeah not sure what his problem is ?? Especially when all you needed was a half from the next two holes! He left himself too much to do, really no call for him being off colour at the end imo.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our place is the same, if you don’t watch it like a hawk and get a great line on it you have no hope. Even when you do it’s dicey! So if you’ve not seen it, forget about it, and it can’t have been a good shot if neither of you saw it. In fact it was probably awful ? So yeah not sure what his problem is ?? Especially when all you needed was a half from the next two holes! He left himself too much to do, really no call for him being off colour at the end imo.
Simply his irritation was that he had got back from 5 down and with my 3 putt on 15 he reckoned (correctly) that he had me on the ropes and could take me over the last three holes. Then bang. No idea. Match lost. It could have been an inch off the cut rough into the deep and we wouldnt find it without having spotted it from the tee. He was irritated with himself that it was a stupid way to lose a match - but not miserably so.?

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Simply his irritation was that he had got back from 5 down and with my 3 putt on 15 he reckoned (correctly) that he had me on the ropes and could take me over the last three holes. Then bang. No idea. Match lost. It could have been an inch off the cut rough into the deep and we wouldnt find it without having spotted it from the tee. He was irritated with himself that it was a stupid way to lose a match - but not miserably so.?

Pretty much exactly the same thing happened to me playing a uni match. 5 down 6 to play, got it back to 1 down 2 to play, 17th short par 4 smashed driver straight down the pin. Thought it was going to be close or even on. Never found the ball again, and lost 2&1 absolutely gutted

sunshine

Visit site
I have played a few course where I have thought - "that fence is never going to make any difference".

I once played Hurtmore (near Guildford) the first has the A3 running to the left of it, 2 of the guys I was playing with sent their ball sailing over the fence. I was waiting for the screech of brakes but luckily they never came.

Our club is next to the A30, back in the 60s when they were putting in a dual carriageway, the road authorities paid the club to move one hole because they considered there to be a be risk of ball landing on the road.

A couple of holes at Berkhamsted you have to hit your tee shot over a road. They are not busy roads, and were probably just cart tracks when the course was built, but I'm surprised that "health and safety" considerations have not forced changes to the routing.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
They paid for the work? Those were the good old days.

Now they'd inform the club that there was a danger and it would be required to close the hole without compensation.