Golf Random Irritations

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It grates when a Pro golfer says in the post-round interview how they hit the GOLF ball well around the GOLF course with their GOLF club
We know
You're a golfer, playing golf.
Do they think we think they've been hitting a football around the streets with a badminton racquet?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It grates when a Pro golfer says in the post-round interview how they hit the GOLF ball well around the GOLF course with their GOLF club
We know
Do they think we think they've been hitting a football around the streets with a badminton racquet?

It’s just proves they were “dialed in”

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
We know
Is something that Jack always did & sounded odd to me.
Nothing like being clear though I guess!

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A guy at our place had a nett 63, 8 under par . He would not have won but he signed for a wrong sore and had the wrong handicap on his card. Ouch. He had a 5 shot reduction in handicap I think.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sunday July 11th a date I won’t forget in a hurry, leading our club championship with a net 67 after the first round then loosing it by two shots second round because of 2 bad tee shots with driver , first one I saw ball bounce in the semi rough but when we got ther couldn’t find it and had to walk back and play 3 off the tee which led to a 8 ( par 5 ) another par 5 I had a 8 after poor tee shot, never had a 8 all year let alone 2 ?

Then to cap a bad day England tried to defend a 1 goal lead sat back and gave the game to Italy

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just had an email from the club saying one of our par 4s has been shortened to a par 3 with immediate effect because somebody smashed a ball over the adjacent fence and hit a car on the road! :oops:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Is your club championship a handicap event?
In most Club Championship events, that I've played in/seen boards for, there's a Handicap comp as well. while it's not the 'main event' it's still a 'major'/Board event because of course setup/the fact that it's often a 2-rounder.
And FWIW, I've been in Riburnside's shoes too - twice!! - at different clubs, though there was no subsequent Football disaster!

sunshine

Visit site
In most Club Championship events, that I've played in/seen boards for, there's a Handicap comp as well. while it's not the 'main event' it's still a 'major'/Board event because of course setup/the fact that it's often a 2-rounder.
And FWIW, I've been in Riburnside's shoes too - twice!! - at different clubs, though there was no subsequent Football disaster!

Interesting. I've only ever been at clubs where it's a scratch competition.

Whereas it makes sense to hold a handicap competition to increase participation, the winner can hardly call themselves the club champion, can they?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...Whereas it makes sense to hold a handicap competition to increase participation, the winner can hardly call themselves the club champion, can they?
Totally agree. Makes it a 'whole club' event - the 'highlight' of the season for everyone! But just another 'Board' comp for the Handicap participants.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because no one ever hit a bad shot on a par 3.:unsure:
Ha - I think the issue is that it's normally a driveable par 4, but if you get that wrong it's curtains as the aforementioned road is on the right. As a par 3 I imagine it'll be only around 180 yards and downhill so a different kettle of fish.

sunshine

Visit site
We have a scratch cup which obviously is the best score and won by a 4h/c and imo should be the club champion but a 25 h/c won the club championship which I always find a bit strange.

I would feel a bit embarrassed about winning the Club Championship* and having my name on a board. Unless it is called something else.

I'd feel a bit like the England players taking their silver medals off as soon as I could :LOL:

*nett

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Ha - I think the issue is that it's normally a driveable par 4, but if you get that wrong it's curtains as the aforementioned road is on the right. As a par 3 I imagine it'll be only around 180 yards and downhill so a different kettle of fish.
Is that the 14th?
Given the history of problems with that hole, the writing has been on the wall for years that it would end up having to be shortened.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is that the 14th?
Given the history of problems with that hole, the writing has been on the wall for years that it would end up having to be shortened.
There is already a longer term plan to reverse that and the 15th (15th becoming a par 4 down the hill), but I guess they've had to accelerate that and shorten the 14th immediately.

Visit site
Club Champs is primarily a scratch event at ours, the main trophy should always be for that! However, we have a Nett trophy as well (and Over 55s Gross/Net which only the 2nd round counts towards). Funnily enough, the winner of the Gross comp is often the winner of the Nett in the Club Championship.

-3 Gross/+1 Nett was the winning score for ours.