Golf Random Irritations

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
I don‘t understand why my club plays virtually all seniors comps off the whites.
You could ask the committee...?
However I see that with a Par of 72 and SSS of 69, perhaps the thought of scoring 39 points in Stableford ‘to be level’, 36 pts (cat 3) and 37 pts (cat 2) to avoid a 0.1 increase in handicap doesn‘t appeal?
Perhaps the WHS will level things up a bit.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
First comp of the season on Tuesday. Been playing well and hoping for a good showing. Arrived early, warmed up and was hitting nicely. First ball off the first tee, into the river. Second shot (third stroke) into a bush. Aaarrrgghhh! No excuses, just the difference of having a card to mark. Lost a ball off the tee on the second too. Managed to pull the round back after that and hit buffer. Just so frustrating.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
“Well out”

I know you mean well but my ambition for the shot went much further than just getting out the bunker so I’m actually a bit annoyed that I’m still 25 feet short of the hole... and may even now be saying rude words to myself under my breath... ?
‘Good Shot’ irritates me, when it’s clearly distinctly average. Some fellas say it on everything that goes in a forward direction

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Played with a guy off scratch last weekend and tried to be very selective with praise ?
Plus of course the odd hole I played better (than him) made up a bit for the overall disappointing round. Good to watch though.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Having to decide whether to use my 'corrected' grip in the comp today having not had any practice with it whatsoever. On balance I might as well start somewhere. I don't expect to win the comp - and if I am outside buffer - so what...but let's see how it feels in the swing and if it changes anything much.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ha ha ha

Normally combined with "great/good shot" (as above) when you've thinned it in the general direction, "great putt" when you've holed a basic straight 4 footer, and my personal favourite ?, "unlucky" when you know from the moment of impact that you've hit a bad putt that never had a chance of going in - ESPECIALLY when it's a foot short... ?

Add to the list, people who shout "go" and it goes long, "sit" when it's short, and generally constantly talking nonsense to your ball... Yes mate, I know it's in the rough ?
We always whistle the Dam Busters theme tune whenever a pal puts 1 in the water then say in unison " well done Barnes ".:devilish::ROFLMAO:

YandaB

Visit site
I'm sure that's hilarious in your fourball ??

But surely the whole point of that is only if it bounces across and over the water?
I played a match play once and my opponent bounced it over 50ft of water and rolled it up on the green, I remarked how very Barnes Wallace it was. At that point I remembered he was German ?! Yikes, "Don't mention the war, I did it once but I think I got away with it!".

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
People that still think five minutes is permissable to look for a ball, worse so when it its the captain's group. Got to the 10th today and they were looking for a ball down the left and were already searching. We waited at least five minutes before they sauntered back to their own balls. Perhaps it was simply the fact I was going well and on a good rhythm and it was so hot and muggy

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Having to decide whether to use my 'corrected' grip in the comp today having not had any practice with it whatsoever. On balance I might as well start somewhere. I don't expect to win the comp - and if I am outside buffer - so what...but let's see how it feels in the swing and if it changes anything much.
Oooh - on Saturday with my 'new' grip I turned into one great mahoosive hooker. I stuck with it all the way round but at the end of it having posted a horror score (no big deal +0.1) one of my playing companions mentioned how very strong my grip was.

And so out on Sunday in a Texas Scramble I weakened it a little - and managed to eliminate the uncontrollable hook - it still felt a bit weird - and I still didn't score very well. I had mentioned my grip and hook problems to my 'team' on the 1st. On the 4th a low-SF team member told me that my grip looked just fine...and that was actually a great help confidence wise. So I shall persevere - especially as a lucy locket felt a long way away...

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Week of the Club Champs thought I'd go and get a bit of practice in after work and literally shanked 90% of the balls I hit. Real confidence booster. Not hit a shank on the golf course for months so where they've come from I have no idea, but nice fun idea to get into my head before 36 holes on Saturday. Have to go again tomorrow and try and rebuild now. Brilliant.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
People that still think five minutes is permissable to look for a ball, worse so when it its the captain's group. Got to the 10th today and they were looking for a ball down the left and were already searching. We waited at least five minutes before they sauntered back to their own balls. Perhaps it was simply the fact I was going well and on a good rhythm and it was so hot and muggy

That's a terrible example from your club captain did you have a word with him afterwards?

Chico84

Visit site
Allowed out for nine holes after work. Three holes in and (despite having weathered the hottest week of the year so far) the thunder and lightning kick in, as well as torrential rain. Annoying as I had hit 270 yard plus drives on each hole consistently. Didn’t fancy getting fried though.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Ying/Yang last night. Got up there early and hit a basket of balls really nicely despite the 36 degree hit. Decided to play 9 as there were gaps, only for the thunder to roll in after a par, birdie start and the klaxon going off so adjourned to the bar instead. Would have liked to have got some more holes in for Captains Day on Saturday but hit it well so perhaps it was good to leave it there. Funny to see golfers scurrying back to the clubhouse as the rain started