Golf Random Irritations

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
On our IG website has a directory page which has email and phone numbers, member’s can request to ex-directory.

That being said if I click on the match details in the IG App (IOS) I see phone numbers as well.

Ours works exactly the same. I played this summer’s matchplay and all games were easy to arrange - ether via the IG app, or by texting the given mobile number.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Me and my mate have entered a foursomes comp. Draw was made at the start of the month. The only method of contacting people seems to be the 'message group' tool within I.G. though. 10 days later, nobody has answered that, or even seen it as far as I would know. There's no database of emails or phone numbers so I've just emailed the club asking if they can provide. If they expected everyone to use the app then they probably should have told everyone to keep an eye open for messages really??
Though it’s not been ‘mandated’ or even strongly suggested, it seems like most members at my place are keeping their eye on messaging in IG. I especially use it to message all booked in a tee time, to check its ok for me to join them. In fact I’ve started using it for stuff other than golf if I don’t have a phone number to hand and I’ve previously messaged with another member using it. If you can get wide use at the club it’s proving useful.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Though it’s not been ‘mandated’ or even strongly suggested, it seems like most members at my place are keeping their eye on messaging in IG. I especially use it to message all booked in a tee time, to check its ok for me to join them. In fact I’ve started using it for stuff other than golf if I don’t have a phone number to hand and I’ve previously messaged with another member using it. If you can get wide use at the club it’s proving useful.
I'm not sure if it notifies you that you have a message, so I guess these guys aren't checking it. I emailed the club and they gave me one of the guy's numbers (not sure why not both) so I've tried to set up a group in WhatsApp instead now.

benjo09

Visit site
I'll preface this by I didn't have a good opinion of American Golf before this but I was willing to give them ago as I couldn't fit a putter fitting in around work elsewhere and desperately wanted a new putter.

First I went to my local store for a 'fitting' which consisted of a salesman standing behind me and telling me how every putter I tried suited me. I asked about how much toe hang I should have and loft/lie and was told none of those matter with a putter. Needless to say I didn't buy anything that day.

Then a few weeks later I was working near one of their new flagship stores with SAM PuttLab so booked in for a fitting there. I was greeted as I walked in, "You must be Mr. benjo09 here for putter fitting" and was introduced to the fitter. I was really impressed by the welcome and the fitter's knowledge. We spoke about what I wanted and needed from a putter and picked 4 or 5 out to try with PuttLab. All was good until we went to try the 3rd putter to find the batteries had run out on the sensor and they didn't have any more. That was the end of that fitting. The fitter was really apologetic but felt like a bit of a basic mistake.

A few days later I decided to order the better of the 2 I tried from the AG website as I had a voucher to use. Putter turned up today loose in the box, rattling around with no protection apart from the headcover being on. No damage luckily.

Certainly with their new flagship stores the service is much better than it has been in the past but its frustrating how little mistakes ruin the experience. I'll always buy from my pro where possible where the experience is much better and maybe this is the price you pay for the convenience. Anyway rant over.

sunshine

Visit site
I'm not sure if it notifies you that you have a message, so I guess these guys aren't checking it. I emailed the club and they gave me one of the guy's numbers (not sure why not both) so I've tried to set up a group in WhatsApp instead now.

I get notifications from the IG app. You can configure this in settings. You can also create group conversations so no different from WhatsApp really. It seems to work pretty well for me.

Due to GDPR, clubs shouldn’t be publishing directories with personal details any more. Handicap directory is ok as it meets the definitions

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I get notifications from the IG app. You can configure this in settings. You can also create group conversations so no different from WhatsApp really. It seems to work pretty well for me.

Due to GDPR, clubs shouldn’t be publishing directories with personal details any more. Handicap directory is ok as it meets the definitions
I don't really know who we're dealing with or what they're like with technology though to be honest. When I made the WhatsApp group one of them added a contact card for the other one and started talking to him because he thought he'd added him to the group. :ROFLMAO:

I figured it was a GDPR thing as I mentioned, but it obviously can make it trickier to get matches organised. These two still haven't given us any dates even in the WhatsApp group to be honest. ??‍♂️

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Due to GDPR, clubs shouldn’t be publishing directories with personal details any more. Handicap directory is ok as it meets the
definitions

I do not see that with IG you have to actually opt in to the directory not opt out (although you can switch).

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The ET golf commentary
Every time Robert Rock missed/made a putt on back 9 we were told about the impact to his race to Dubai ranking but after he ‘finished’ he started climbing the leaderboard again due to others dropping shots and not a mention of Rock’s R2D change in ranking. Dunno why it bugged me it just did

D

Deleted member 16999

Playing my best round of the year, on my own, off the Yellows.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Turning up for a planned constructive range session only to find the local hood rats pissing around shouting scream and acting like total richards.

That’s the end of that range for me.