Golf Random Irritations

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
have played at a course where you play off the stone in a couple of comps, those spots arent used otherwise through the year, possible it was a scratch comp of some sorts?
Seems it was a Scratch League match...Still don't understand why they can't use the White tee ..or is the playing of the Whites not good enough for them?:unsure:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Seems it was a Scratch League match...Still don't understand why they can't use the White tee ..or is the playing of the Whites not good enough for them?:unsure:

A course i was a member at many years ago was quite short, they basically kept the stones for scratch comps, matches and the club champs and a couple of other comps, never ever saw the whites within 5 yards of the backs otherwise. In effect created what some courses now would call a blue tee behind the whites. Not saying I agree with it but definitely happens at some older shorter courses

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Club champs, qualified for the scratch, playing a kid off +3 tonight off the blacks.. also got cut to 2.7, my lowest ever..
Though, its nice to get down in reality, I'm not a 3 handicap, been 5 for the last few years and under the old system had not a hope of getting this low.
I've no expectations other than I'm going to get humped by a spotty faced kid:ROFLMAO:

Good luck Patrick ??

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Golf courses who state a maximum handicap due to the difficult nature of the course. Then let anyone on.

55 minutes it took to play the first 3 holes of the Hotchkin course yesterday. The two groups in front of us were awful. They couldn't reach a fairway off the yellows and all of them hit 2 balls of a lot of tees. Honestly they would have struggled round a pitch and putt. My playing partner did suggest to one of them as we passed close, that they should consider playing off the forward tees. I don't think that went down well ?.

On the 8th tee there was a 2 ball, and 2 four balls.
What did you think to the course

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
What did you think to the course
Fabulous course. Loved it, and its gone straight into my favourites list. Its my type of course though, heathland and moorland are my favourite styles of course. If you like a tree lined parkland course with a bit of room to spray it about, its probably not for you.

Every shot required thinking about, and there was multiple ways to play most holes.

It took us a few holes to get into it as we only made our tee time by 2 minutes and it was chucking it down for the first 4 holes.

Considering the rain that had fallen that morning and the day before, the greens were fast and immaculate. The fairways were beautiful to play off.

The rough was punishing due to how wet it was.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Had that bleeding nightmarish golf dream again last night.

Playing some course somewhere in first round of an important comp (though why I was by myself I don’t know) and get to a two-tier tee and can’t find a place to tee my ball up to hit it. No matter where I try on the front lower section I either find there isn’t enough room between my tee and the step up to fit my driver, or if I can then there is no room to take it back. Watched by those of the following group now waiting, all I can do is a downward chop and the ball scuttles off the tee down a slope.

Dream also contained a new element. I get to a tee and the group that was behind me is somehow now in front of me, but I never let them or saw them pass. They said that on previous hole they saw me wait and wait to play a shot - eventually calling me to ask to play through. But I didn’t respond and so they just did. And as they passed me I was just standing there in the middle of the fairway and did not respond or acknowledge them in any way. I said I never saw or heard them and so must have fallen asleep standing whilst waiting to play, they said they’d heard that happen before but hadn’t believed it could happen. Weird.?

Visit site
Had that bleeding nightmarish golf dream again last night.

Playing some course somewhere in first round of an important comp (though why I was by myself I don’t know) and get to a two-tier tee and can’t find a place to tee my ball up to hit it. No matter where I try on the front lower section I either find there isn’t enough room between my tee and the step up to fit my driver, or if I can then there is no room to take it back. Watched by those of the following group now waiting, all I can do is a downward chop and the ball scuttles off the tee down a slope.

Dream also contained a new element. I get to a tee and the group that was behind me is somehow now in front of me, but I never let them or saw them pass. They said that on previous hole they saw me wait and wait to play a shot - eventually calling me to ask to play through. But I didn’t respond and so they just did. And as they passed me I was just standing there in the middle of the fairway and did not respond or acknowledge them in any way. I said I never saw or heard them and so must have fallen asleep standing whilst waiting to play, they said they’d heard that happen before but hadn’t believed it could happen. Weird.?

I’ve had that dream (the first part anyway), where you have no room to make a backswing!!

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fabulous course. Loved it, and its gone straight into my favourites list. Its my type of course though, heathland and moorland are my favourite styles of course. If you like a tree lined parkland course with a bit of room to spray it about, its probably not for you.

This is is making me laugh a lot. Have you played with Captainron?

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site

Every shot required thinking about, and there was multiple ways to play most holes.

It took us a few holes to get into it as we only made our tee time by 2 minutes and it was chucking it down for the first 4 holes.

Considering the rain that had fallen that morning and the day before, the greens were fast and immaculate. The fairways were beautiful to play off.

The rough was punishing due to how wet it was.
I absolutely love being a member there. I have learned to play the course though and am normally able to put a score together. Glad you enjoyed it

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Club champs, qualified for the scratch, playing a kid off +3 tonight off the blacks.. also got cut to 2.7, my lowest ever..
Though, its nice to get down in reality, I'm not a 3 handicap, been 5 for the last few years and under the old system had not a hope of getting this low.
I've no expectations other than I'm going to get humped by a spotty faced kid:ROFLMAO:
Me and you both it seems. I'm currently 2.8. I haven't played off 3 for about 15 years. I don't feel I've made some drastic improvement in my game either.
But going out there to beat my 8th best score for a cut, rather than beating current handicap for a cut, has given me a different mentality at times.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I absolutely love being a member there. I have learned to play the course though and am normally able to put a score together. Glad you enjoyed it

I could happily play that course every day. We were saying it must be great to be a member there, but also frustrating due to how busy it was.

Do you know if the pro shop will post merchandise? We were hoping to buy some souvenirs but didn't get chance due to how late we were arriving.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Our head greenkeeper has handed in his notice. Gutted as in the few years he's been here he's done a tremendous job on the course (despite the words of doom from one forumer). He has installed a new ethic to the green staff, brought in fresh ideas and made some really positive changes. He has 8 weeks notice to serve, and he's going down the coast to the Glasgow Golf Club. I wish him all the best as he's worked his socks off whilst he was here. I just hope we can get someone just as good to replace him.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Our head greenkeeper has handed in his notice. Gutted as in the few years he's been here he's done a tremendous job on the course (despite the words of doom from one forumer). He has installed a new ethic to the green staff, brought in fresh ideas and made some really positive changes. He has 8 weeks notice to serve, and he's going down the coast to the Glasgow Golf Club. I wish him all the best as he's worked his socks off whilst he was here. I just hope we can get someone just as good to replace him.
Always the way, guys done a good job and will usually get poached for more prestigious club.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yeah, I think it was something we all anticipated would happen at some time. He was Head Greenkeeper at Trump Aberdeen before ours so he's got a great background.
I think trump layed a few greenstuff of, tain got the assistant HG q few months ago. Same will happen to the guy at nairn dunbar, he,s doing a great job.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Courses reopened from our lockdown this morning after 4 months shut, went to practice area early doors for a bucket and I hit the ball like someone who's trying the game for the first time :cry:

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Courses reopened from our lockdown this morning after 4 months shut, went to practice area early doors for a bucket and I hit the ball like someone who's trying the game for the first time :cry:

Yeah some folk found the break good for their game, some detrimental. Give yourself a chance! I heard a pro say once he doesn’t know how weekend warriors do it, said if he doesn’t hit balls for a few days he has to really concentrate on the fundamentals to get back into it. A few days!

What I found was you should forget about your old distances. 7iron goes 150? No it doesn’t. If you try to achieve the same swing speed you had before lockdown you’re going to sway or flip wrists or do something to artificially generate that speed. Give your golf muscles a chance to build back up, they are atrophied. In the meantime, practice your putting!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Yeah some folk found the break good for their game, some detrimental. Give yourself a chance! I heard a pro say once he doesn’t know how weekend warriors do it, said if he doesn’t hit balls for a few days he has to really concentrate on the fundamentals to get back into it. A few days!

What I found was you should forget about your old distances. 7iron goes 150? No it doesn’t. If you try to achieve the same swing speed you had before lockdown you’re going to sway or flip wrists or do something to artificially generate that speed. Give your golf muscles a chance to build back up, they are atrophied. In the meantime, practice your putting!

Good tip
To make (golf) matters worse, I've lost nearly 30kg in that time, so my swing isn't being forced round a gut that just isn't there now, the divot shape/direction was a sight to behold (I think I could even strike the ball against my left leg!) :eek:

Back for more practice tomorrow and Saturday before I tee it up on Sunday
(putting was the only area i was happy with this morning (and the only thing i could practice at home)