Golf Random Irritations

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not so sure about that - played in a county champs and the amount that ignored pitchmarks , didn’t bother to replace divots of fill in divots on tees far outnumbered the average club golfer - many of them ignored them all
Likewise...we had our main open competition this last weekend. All single figure or better handicappers. And the amount of divots not replaced and pitch marks on greens not repaired was really poor. We members pride ourselves in trying to take care of our fairways and greens - especially with the England Golf Mixed Under-18 championship starting on Thursday - and so I was very disappointed with Sunday‘s players.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
We've got a Clutch Pro Tour event at our place, yesterday & today.
So the course is busy upto about 3pm, although they are only teeing off until 1pm.

It's annoyed a lot of people as it means they can't get on the course on their usual day & can't get courtesy at another local course, because it isn't a county event.
Having looked at the scores I don't know why half of them bother entering - absolute crap most of them, surely they'd be better off getting a proper job!?!
Such a naff name also (IMO)

Coreservers

Visit site
being a returner to golf.
When i was absolutely brand new, and got to go on 1st round with another newbie and a public course in stevenage. We got to the 1st tee, and a couple of guys were behind us, My friend hit his maybe 60 yards, pretty flat, these guys sniggered. I was extra nervy, and totally duffed it 5 yards off the tee. they openly laughed, and pushed ahead (we were going to offer to let them through)... so i guess idiots like those in golf. they can cause lasting effects (did with me. )

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Losing a match 1 hole, when it’s the first time you’ve been down in the whole match....

How about losing a pairs matchplay you were never behind in ?
Had that a couple of years ago at my old club, 1 up at the turn but ended a/s. There was some stupid rule that 1st round games couldn't have playoff holes so the pair with the better back 9 won ?

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
How about losing a pairs matchplay you were never behind in ?
Had that a couple of years ago at my old club, 1 up at the turn but ended a/s. There was some stupid rule that 1st round games couldn't have playoff holes so the pair with the better back 9 won ?
Now that is daft….

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
being a returner to golf.
When i was absolutely brand new, and got to go on 1st round with another newbie and a public course in stevenage. We got to the 1st tee, and a couple of guys were behind us, My friend hit his maybe 60 yards, pretty flat, these guys sniggered. I was extra nervy, and totally duffed it 5 yards off the tee. they openly laughed, and pushed ahead (we were going to offer to let them through)... so i guess idiots like those in golf. they can cause lasting effects (did with me. )
The England Golf team were setting up their banners, boards etc (for the Mixed U18 championship starting tomorrow) by our first tee yesterday evening when I teed off with a couple of mates. They stopped their banging and clattering and watched as we teed off. I topped my tee shot about 75yds...they smiled. I shrugged. Then topped my 2nd about a further 100yds. Well that’s golf ?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Walkers on a golf course. I had to wait 10 minutes to tee off duffed it, lost it, played a provi, smashed it, made a 6 that would have been a 4.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Walkers on a golf course. I had to wait 10 minutes to tee off duffed it, lost it, played a provi, smashed it, made a 6 that would have been a 4.

Bane of my life at my course too. No fewer than 8 holes are affected by either footpaths or tracks.

The amounts of times I've been about to tee off and a playing partner has to stop me as a small child on a bike/dog off its lead appears from behind a hedge and stops to wait for their parents/owner who are walking along 100 yards behind.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Bane of my life at my course too. No fewer than 8 holes are affected by either footpaths or tracks.

The amounts of times I've been about to tee off and a playing partner has to stop me as a small child on a bike/dog off its lead appears from behind a hedge and stops to wait for their parents/owner who are walking along 100 yards behind.

We have a footpath running through our back nine which doesn’t really impact on any holes.

What really grips my ? though is when locals walk other areas of the course totally disregarding their own safety and the fact that they’re on a golf course, not a footpath or public right of way.

Only the other day I was playing my approach to the 12th when a dog ran across the fairway. I turned round to see a lady walking down the middle of the fairway behind us. Nowhere near the footpath and oblivious to how dangerous it was for her, and annoying it was to those of us trying to play golf.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Currently sheltering in trees between holes as it buckets it down. Didn't bring a brolly and if I don waterproofs I'd likely overheat as it is warm & muggy.

Boomy

Visit site
Cretins who mistake 9 minutes for 3 minutes (on every hole, with stray tee shots off at least 2 of the group and still trying to play off the back tees ?) and don’t let you through with ample opportunities ?

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is more an irritation for my mate, but funny for me. Our Club Champs is this weekend, we were sure they said on Saturday the tee times would be in reverse handicap order. Fine for me but my mate off 29 hasn't bothered entering because he didn't fancy teeing off at 8 o'clock in the morning - we usually prefer late morning to early afternoon. Now the tee times are out and we must have misread it, turns out it's the other way round and he would have been off at midday. :LOL:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
The weather. Its fine for days, until you have a day off work to play somewhere nice and it rains. Grrr

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing an away course as a solo, watching a (pretty poor) 3 ball tee off, wait forever for them to get on the green, scorch one down 70 yards short of it. Pitch on while they take their drives, putt out and walk toward the second tee while they’re putting their clubs away.

And off they walk without looking in my direction. I was 5 yards from them. Blanked me.

And off they walked. Into the trees. Waaaaay left into the trees. After a few minutes looking they wave me through. Thanks guys ??

Would it have killed them to do that on the tee? Apparently so. When I got down there one said “you were lucky, we found it just after waving”. Wtf?! So you wouldn’t have waved me through if you’d found it?!?!

They proceed to play while allowing me through, two of them put theirs in the water (it’s about 100 yard carry with another 50 to the green, not exactly pebble beach). They fish them out, and put one of those back in.

“Have a good game gents”

I doubt they did. Miserable gits. I had the entire course to myself until the 16th. Probably fully signed up members of the “a Single has no standing” brigade. The mind boggles.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Playing in an open on Sunday, 8.50am tee off, and the catering doesn't start until 9am :oops:. What's that about? Lots of golfers looking forward to a pre-round bacon / sausage buttie, practically compulsory on an away trip, and it wont be available. Missed opportuntiy for the club to make some money and yes, irritating.