Golf Monthly Top 100 No. 1....... Turnberry March 2018

• Thread starter Deleted member 17920
  • Start date

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Thanks to Glyn for organising the weekend. Shame about the bitter weather.

Played the shorter 9 hole course (Aaron), first thing Saturday and was nice and relaxing and good, not sure if anyone else played it.

Some brilliant holes on the Alisa course and the par 3 10th from the back tees at approx. 250 yards into that wind, would have been fun to have had a bucket of balls on.

RTB was not in the same league but loved the run from the par 5 8th(driver, pitching wedge to the green, mental) to 11. Think RTB had my favourite hole on, hole 9 across the big beach bunker/ravine, shot to the green was brilliant.

The hotel and the hotel room that we stayed in, were lets say not in keeping with me and my sports direct bag look:rofl:

Thanks again.

Its the Arran course.

The original Arran course was absolutely superb. It was tougher than Turnberry itself as it was narrow and gorse lined with a few tremendous holes on it. Sadly they ruined that to make the Kintyre and now the Robert the Bruce, both of which have not come close to how good the original Arran course was at Turnberry.

A travesty that course was lost for ever.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'll throw this one in here now, loved the Ailsa course, a real challenge and a smashing well thought out course. I didn't play prior to the changes and can't even begin to look at where they were.

All that said................GM Top 100 - No 1?

Not quite for ME (and I use for me quite deliberately), it doesn't stand out from my previous top 2 but I reckon on any given day, either be Muirfield, Royal Birkdale or the Ailsa could be no 1, they are all equally stunning. If you throw grub in the mix then Muirfield beats the others hands down for their carvery lunch.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
What a great trip. 5 days of golf and I am am knackered.:eek:Think we got lucky with the weather, and to stay dry for five days was a real bonus. Loved all the courses, West Lancs, Silloth (wow that was cold) Turnberry X2 and finally Formby.

Glyn you did a stunning job bringing it all together. Really appreciate it mate. The taxi service to Wildings was beyond the call of duty. Cheers to Robin for sorting out Wildings. Great food and company.

To everyone I played with, thanks for the memories. Enjoyed all your company. This is why the forum is so great. Without it I wouldn't have played so many great courses.

Turnberry Ailsa is second on my top courses. A tad behind Royal County Down. It was stunning with no bad holes. Would love to play again with a nice light prevailing wind ! If I was to join one of the courses I played it would be Formby. A links course that despite the wind we played in, didn't beat me up. I did have to crawl the last hole but that may have been the effects of carrying my bag 90 holes in five days. Millionaires golf, three ball round in less than 3 1/2 hours. Watching Stu with a short putt for a four which would have been worth five points was not a highlight.:mad: Need to get your handicap down big man.:thup:

Thanks again Glyn for sorting out so much fun, and have you got next years organised yet ?:D

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'll throw this one in here now, loved the Ailsa course, a real challenge and a smashing well thought out course. I didn't play prior to the changes and can't even begin to look at where they were.

Not quite for ME (and I use for me quite deliberately), it doesn't stand out from my previous top 2 but I reckon on any given day, either be Muirfield, Royal Birkdale or the Ailsa could be no 1, they are all equally stunning. If you throw grub in the mix then Muirfield beats the others hands down for their carvery lunch.

I loved the Ailsa before the changes but had it below Muirfield. Even with the changes I don't think it overtakes Muirfield. Mind you, I'd like to play it in more pleasant conditions as the cold may well have clouded my judgement. I'm back in October so fingers crossed!

It was a fun weekend - many thanks to all the organisers and those I played with... sorry for all the swearing! :whistle:

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I loved the Ailsa before the changes but had it below Muirfield. Even with the changes I don't think it overtakes Muirfield. Mind you, I'd like to play it in more pleasant conditions as the cold may well have clouded my judgement. I'm back in October so fingers crossed!

It was a fun weekend - many thanks to all the organisers and those I played with... sorry for all the swearing! :whistle:

Likewise for me in October, hopefully a nice pleasant warm autumn day :rofl:

It was good to catch up pal :thup:

D

Deleted Member 1156

Have you played RCD? I think that has to be included with the other 3 to give a top 4 that I think are ahead of the others. Having said that, the one I would like to play again is Lytham as it is the most 'thinking' course of them all IMHO.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have you played RCD? I think that has to be included with the other 3 to give a top 4 that I think are ahead of the others. Having said that, the one I would like to play again is Lytham as it is the most 'thinking' course of them all IMHO.

I haven't no but believe it might be one that could turn my 3 into a 4.

I really like Royal Lytham, it is a thinking course as you say and one you have to plot around, a bit like Carnoustie in that respect.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks again Glyn, Robin and Cameron. Another great trip, it's going to be difficult to top that one. Lovely to meet new people and spend time together with friends in the pursuit of that daft wee ball.

The cold beat me up but it didn't depress the spirits, I enjoyed the two days immensely and would head straight back and do it all again if I could.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site

Potty mouth !!:D

Merv_swerve

Challenge Tour Pro
goo.gl
Superb trip folks.
Thoroughly enjoyed all 3 courses and I'll definitely be back to Silloth. Turnberry might have to wait until our top organisers can rustle up another mega deal.
Speaking of...
Glyn, thanks so much for the opportunity and as has been said, the shuttle bus Saturday night was above and beyond. Thank you. Fish, sterling work Saturday night also. Top notch.
Honestly, I felt like I played alright over the 3 days, 29-26-27 might beg to differ, but I reckon those windy conditions were a real test.
I have a real affection for links golf and it was only enhanced this weekend. The views, oh the views....my partner's and I were a little in awe on Saturday morning, just breathtaking.

Just how we avoided any rain or snow is a little miracle, or more likely the micro climate the chap at Travelodge Friday assured me would get. "None of that snow, we'll be fine."

Thanks to my playing partners, some old, some new, all good company. Look forward to playing with you again sometime.

Only really leaves one question....
Where next?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I cant believe that Glyn pulled off a big meet with me only on a consultancy basis.:whistle:

Only messing. Well done steptoe, boss meet, as ever - thought you were giving them up, like me?

You really did pull all the stops out, with a seamless organisation.

Fish - great restaurant, really was great food.

Cam, well done for doing the cards, and I'm sure much more in the background.

My mate Glen got a hole in one and only bought me a BLT, a pork pie and a bag of crisps on the way home - cheapest celebration ever!!!!!

It was nice to play with some of my non-forum mates of 20 years at such a top class course, and share the experience. I also hand-picked my partners for the Sunday, wont be doing that again. :D:D The lodges were boss, and would even consider doing the same deal again, but see if they will let us play the Ailsa twice for an upgrade price, next time.

5-0 to the pool, and good to see so many forum veterans again, over a few beers and a great meal was a cracking Saturday night.

My back was in bulk all over the weekend, but my golf was poor (bad back or not), but still glad I did it.

Final word again to Glyn - he would have literally put in well over 3-400 hours, if not more, collecting, doing draws, liaising with Turnberry, Robin, Cam, mini-bus companies and much, much more. He puts in a tonne of effort and for no financial reward, he really deserves some sort of forum honour.

Maybe the mods can give him an honorary 40,000 posts to put him on a par with Homer, so alike in so many ways...... :rofl:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
In the time I’ve been on this forum I’ve seen some very silly arguments over differing opinions, but i think everyone would agree that Glyn is an absolute Gent!

2 days at an outstanding venue, quite simply put. The Ailsa is the best course I’ve ever had the pleasure of playing. Heard a few convos from people putting it in company with a few others, if I ever get to play said rivals I’ll be a happy bunny.

Managed to play something that remotely resembled golf for parts of the final 2 days of my tour at Turnberry. The less said about Dundonald (or my lack of golfing ability) the better. The weather decided to put paid to my final round on the way back, but tbh a break was probably needed after 5 rounds in 5 days of brutal weather.

Was good to catch up with old and new faces alike. The evening at Wildings was superb, great find by Fish and a grand jester by Glyn to ferry us all back and forth. Watching the 5-0 in the clubhouse was entertaining, almost on a par with the fun provided by a few inebriated scousers and a rule book........

final thanks to DaveMc and Liverbirdie aka Babe Ruth for helping me break even against anotherdouble.

D

Deleted member 21258

Does anyone know the guy I spoke to on Saturday morning just outside the pro shop, seem a nice guy? (was speaking with boxman also at the time I think). Be nice to put a forum name to him.

The guy had a smallish tablet, very short hair crew-cutish and was Scottish? He did say his name but neither Joanne or me can remember, came across as a nice chap(which stood out from the rest of you:ears: :D) ?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Does anyone know the guy I spoke to on Saturday morning just outside the pro shop, seem a nice guy? (was speaking with boxman also at the time I think). Be nice to put a forum name to him.

The guy had a smallish tablet, very short hair crew-cutish and was Scottish? He did say his name but neither Joanne or me can remember, came across as a nice chap(which stood out from the rest of you:ears: :D) ?
Scottish and nice.:mmm:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

It was cabby filming swings.:)