Golf Monthly Top 100 No. 1....... Turnberry March 2018

• Thread starter Deleted member 17920
  • Start date

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Top marks as always Glyn, a smashing 2 days of golf at one of the finest links the UK has to offer. Great to see some old faces and meet some forum stalwarts for the first time.

Rich, Simon........ I look forward to you joining our Forby love in ;)

Radbourne2010

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mmksolutions.co.uk
South of Brum with JOBR1850. Roads clear of snow so far 🤞

What can I say about the trip? Thanks to Glyn for amazing organisation is getting us all to the magnificent venue at Trump Turnberry, via various other courses on route including the brutal but impressive Sillothon Friday.

Saturday on the Alisa course was golfing nirvana, despite the strong winds the sun shone, the greens rolled beautifully & the mats actually added to fun of the day.
I enjoyed great company watching Fairway Dodger playing proper golf until fatigue kicked in with 4 holes to go. Richart was his usual consistent self & Bernix kept us all entertained 😊
The views were awesome, especially around the turn. Halfway hut to dream about. Wonderful Par 3’s throughout & a great finishing stretch.

Dinner at Wilding’s was fantastic. Thanks to Fish for organising & Glynn for transferring us to the venue, expect 2Blue who preferred a long bath & a dram or two of the local whiskey 🥃

Drinks in Hotel after dinner was great fun. Breakfast in Champions Room on Sunday morning was superb before a round too far on the Robert the Bruce course on rock hard Frozen greens & a nasty wind (nothing to do with Guinness & red wine from Sat).

Need to sleep for a couple of days to recover, but loved every minute 🏌️*♂️🍻🍷🌨🌬💨🌊🏌️*♂️. :thup:679F1733-6B0A-4B82-B9AF-6352864F796B.jpg24D8B539-E599-4C18-8E06-DD9755930E7F.jpgD1B64092-CD3C-4B2D-911D-05730A87F8F9.jpgD1B64092-CD3C-4B2D-911D-05730A87F8F9.jpg7038AA27-6004-4502-A376-7DABCD736A38.jpg

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Card is fine everywhere, even the halfway house

Route wise, M6, M74, A71, M77 then stay on that road as it becomes the A77 all the way to Turnberry. The shortest route is using the A70 but it’s a hellish road IMO

Exactly the advice I was looking for. Thanks.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just arrived at our half way house - Cumbria Grand Hotel, Grange over Sands. Once again Glyn, thanks for organising everything. We had a great time, despite the indifferent golf. Well played Nigel who we had the pleasure of playing with for two rounds.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Safely home too, thanks again to |Glyn for organising a brilliant weekend, I really enjoyed it despite not feeling at my best. Full marks to Fish for Wildings too.
and I can echo Vals comments about the A70, to an absolute age to reach the M74, not helped by being stuck being a tractor pulling a slurry tank.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
We are back home as well after yet another fantastic trip organised by Glyn and assisted by Cameron. Wildings was superb, so thanks to Robin from us as well.

We had a lovely journey back home as we took the tourist scenic route from Turnberry to Gretna and joined the motorway at Carlisle.

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Question for you folks, I'm going up to Turnbery in 3 weeks. Is everywhere there plastic friendly, bar, clubhouse etc or will I need lots of cash? It's quite isolated so I don't want to be having to head out to the nearest town to the cash machine.

Also, advice for route to take once I reach the m6? I can see options but not knowing the local roads I don't know which are the best to take.

card everywhere but not contactless

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Left Turnberry at 1.20pm, dropped Radbourne2010 home, and walked through my front door at 9.50pm - eight and a half hours, happy with that..

Thanks again to Glyn and the guys for everything organisational wise. Thanks to fish for sorting Wildings.

Thanks to to everyone I played with and met

Had a fantastic weekend, absolutely top draw.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Left Turnberry at 14:00, home at 20:30, no road issues at all on the M6/ M1.

Great weekend, even if my golf struggled more than a bit in that wind. Thanks to the guys and gals we played with, to Glyn for organising the trip - fantastic bargain, and Fish for organising Wildings. Really enjoyed it, the Ailsa is stunning, amazing views along the coastal stretch, almost had nearest the pin on the 9th, with the second last shot of the day, very well done to Claire for nicking it with the actual last shot in for the day. Good company through the two rounds, that handicap will come down soon enough the way you were striping that ball John. Enjoyed the company at Wildings too with some of the lads from Woodhall Spa.

Golf was dire though, never gonna play again....... until the next time.

D

Deleted member 21258

Thanks to Glyn for organising the weekend. Shame about the bitter weather.

Played the shorter 9 hole course (Aaron), first thing Saturday and was nice and relaxing and good, not sure if anyone else played it.

Some brilliant holes on the Alisa course and the par 3 10th from the back tees at approx. 250 yards into that wind, would have been fun to have had a bucket of balls on.

RTB was not in the same league but loved the run from the par 5 8th(driver, pitching wedge to the green, mental) to 11. Think RTB had my favourite hole on, hole 9 across the big beach bunker/ravine, shot to the green was brilliant.

The hotel and the hotel room that we stayed in, were lets say not in keeping with me and my sports direct bag look:rofl:

Thanks again.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Many thanks Glyn & everyone else, Richart etc, involved in enabling us to enjoy 4 consecutive days on such marvellous Links courses & share the experience with awesome playing partners. :eek:ne:
Sorry to Fish for messing-up your numbers at Wildings.... but that bath & the house-whiskies took me to another time-zone :whistle:

On the journey back, as the traffic was so light & conditions pretty good, I decided not to stay over in Penrith & instead tackle the 'long-way-round route' to Leeds via the M62. I was flagging badly in the latter stages I had a couple of 'snooze stops' before coming across this incident in the slow lane!!....
[video=youtube_share;r3E3rDliJ4U]https://youtu.be/r3E3rDliJ4U[/video]

.....I guess they either didn't have those 'snooze-stops' or they weren't effective.,,,,

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21258

Adam took some pictures, uploaded some of them into this file and believe this is the link :-

Hopefully it works, never used this upload option.:eek:

Hotel, course was truly breath taking and massive. On the play again list for next year.

Really grateful to Glyn for the opportunity to play it, thanks.

EDIT :-

This is a better file of pictures, a PDF one(guess the player on hole 18;) ) :-

https://ufile.io/crrs6

Last edited by a moderator:

wookie

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Wow - what a great 5 days of golf (well apart from the great golf from me personally).

Thanks to all my playing partners over the trip and to Glyn for all the hard work before and during golf wise and then playing taxi driver for the meal on Saturday night which went above and beyond. Good choice and organising there Robin.

I know it was cold but I think we really got away with it weather wise given the snow over the rest of the country. I even got down to three layers and didn't wear a hat at Formby yesterday!

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Some nice pics looked to not to bad a day quite lucky considering the bad weather we've had, any more Scottish trips in the pipeline