Golf Monthly Prostate Cancer UK The Big Race - Donate To The Team!

TomC

GM Staff
Visit site
Evening all,

The Golf Monthly Editorial Team has decided to do some last moment fundraising for Prostate Cancer UK - we are playing 36 holes at The Berkshire on Thursday and have signed up to The Big Golf Race - https://prostatecanceruk.org/get-involved/golf/the-big-golf-race

You can donate to the team here https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/golfmonthly2020 and also we want to hear who you think has the best chance of winning the day! We will post the full runners and riders tomorrow.

Any support you can give would be great - it of course goes to a wonderful cause.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sorry to say but this doesn’t sit right with me, usually fundraising requires some kind of sacrifice and effort, having 2 rounds at The Berkshire seems more like a jolly.

That’s not to say it’s not a good cause your supporting and good luck on raising some funds.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Sorry to say but this doesn’t sit right with me, usually fundraising requires some kind of sacrifice and effort, having 2 rounds at The Berkshire seems more like a jolly.

That’s not to say it’s not a good cause your supporting and good luck on raising some funds.

So you're not a supporter of the H4H meet?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
So you're not a supporter of the H4H meet?

I can see Riburnsides point.

Re Monday, the 100 of us attending there will be paying extra to raise money for H4H and generally take part in auctions etc to raise the money. I'd suggest that all our fundraising efforts should be going there atm.
I also doubt my friends and family would be inclined to pay me (sponsor) to play one or two rounda at Bearwood Lakes or any other course.

At least the original golf challenges were 72 holes and required a significant amount of effort.

Last edited:

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Evening all,

The Golf Monthly Editorial Team has decided to do some last moment fundraising for Prostate Cancer UK - we are playing 36 holes at The Berkshire on Thursday and have signed up to The Big Golf Race - https://prostatecanceruk.org/get-involved/golf/the-big-golf-race

You can donate to the team here https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/golfmonthly2020 and also we want to hear who you think has the best chance of winning the day! We will post the full runners and riders tomorrow.

Any support you can give would be great - it of course goes to a wonderful cause.
All the lesson @MikeH had got to be way out there for a win.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I can understand some of the feelings above but the way I look at it is that GM have done a huge amount for the forum so I don't begrudge making a contribution to a very good cause in their name, it's not as if the GM staff are taking the donation.

It's a personal choice, I'm not going to suggest where people should put their hard earned.

TomC

GM Staff
Visit site

playing 72 holes in September is always going to be a push! As has been mentioned above it is all about trying to give money to a great cause - and we have decided to do this last minute. If anyone wants to support then great - or perhaps someone may be alerted to the Prostate Cancer UK campaign https://prostatecanceruk.org/get-involved/golf/the-big-golf-race

If you can't no worries at all!

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
playing 72 holes in September is always going to be a push! As has been mentioned above it is all about trying to give money to a great cause - and we have decided to do this last minute. If anyone wants to support then great - or perhaps someone may be alerted to the Prostate Cancer UK campaign https://prostatecanceruk.org/get-involved/golf/the-big-golf-race

If you can't no worries at all!

Your original post said you were playing 36 holes

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I can understand some of the feelings above but the way I look at it is that GM have done a huge amount for the forum so I don't begrudge making a contribution to a very good cause in their name, it's not as if the GM staff are taking the donation.

It's a personal choice, I'm not going to suggest where people should put their hard earned.

Yes I respect your views , ?we all have differing ways at looking at it.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

The way I look at it is that most people that raise money for charity do so with a lot of hard work, playing 2 rounds of golf at a prestigious course is not much of a sacrifice and who knows they maybe even get concessions to play.

It’s not something I would donate to and your right it’s a personal choice

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I totally get what he's saying to be fair, there's no challenge element here. "We'll go and play an enjoyable round of golf, while you give money to charity!" If they did it barefoot or left-handed or something it would make sense.

It reminds me of when that 'Macmillan night in' thing was around (maybe it wasn't Macmillan I can't remember), we were meant to sponsor people to stay in instead of going out to the pub for a night. Not only is that not particularly challenging, they then turned up at the pub I was in to ask for the donations - so they didn't do the staying in! At that point you're just ordering people to give money to charity. :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, still sponsor them if you want, just saying I get where @Rlburnside is coming from. :p

D

Deleted member 21258

I wish you all well, hope you enjoy it and raise money for a great cause.

D

Deleted member 1147

Good luck gents, enjoy
Shame it had to be such a rubbish location as the Berkshire ;)

TomC

GM Staff
Visit site
Teams are out for tomorrow

Morning - Red Course
Neil Tappin / Mike Harris / Sam Tremlett
Tom Clarke / Mark Townsend / David Taylor
Elliott Heath / Dominic Smith / Nick Palmer
Kevin Murray / Patrick Murray / Roderick Easdale

Afternoon - Blue course
Mark Townsend / Mike Harris / Elliott Heath
Tom Clarke / Roderick Easdale / David Taylor
Neil Tappin / Kevin Murray / Nick Palmer
Sam Tremlett / Dominic Smith / Patrick Murray

AM/PM individual and team comps (white tees, full handicap best 2 from 3 at every hole)

Please leave your predictions below! Funnier the better!

Remember you can donate to the cause here https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/golfmonthly2020

TomC

GM Staff
Visit site
Thanks to everyone who have very generously donated to the great cause.

The results from the day were

Morning Round

Elliott Heath 38 points
Tappin 35
Dominic Smith 34

Team Winners
Elliott, Dom, Nick

Afternoon Round

Neil Tappin 38
Elliott Heath 36
Mike Harris 34

Team Winners
Mike, Elliott, Mark

Was a fantastic day and we have nearly hit our target - if you haven't donated but would like to you can do that here https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/golfmonthly2020