Golf is such a stupid, ridiculous, frustrating, fabulous, amazing game.

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sorry for the long winded post!

Today was the last day of our Thursday Classic a society that plays every Thursday (obviously) and takes your best six scores over the Summer and whoever has the best total score from those six wins. On the last day tradition dictates that the top four in the standings go out last as a fourball.

Last year I managed to win the trophy and as luck would have it I was top of the standings leading into today with two of the other three guys playing with me one and two shots behind and only needing 34 or better to up their scores.

Cue them starting like a pair of trains and me with more shanks than points after the first 4 holes. After 9 holes the guy in second place has scored 20 points and is flying, im sat there on 13 points and looking at becoming the first ever no1 ranked guy on final day to finish last (coming last means you have to buy a bag of nuts for each table and you get named and shamed!). Now im convinced that the jig is up and ive got no chance of retaining because all the guy in second has to do is score 35 points because he would win on the tie breaker.

Out of nowhere I start to play golf, 15 points over the next five holes and thankfully im out of danger of finishing last. Normally on our par 5 16th I will hit a rescue as it takes all the danger out of play but with nothing to lose I absolutely ripped the driver straight down the middle leaving me a decent chance of being on in two. Managed to make birdie and thought im in with a chance here just need two 3 pointers and for him to make a mistake. I manage to par 17 while he blobs it then on 18 we both have 10 feet for par but from opposite ends of the green, I lip out and am gutted as im convinced he has three putts to win he two putts we all shake hands and I congratulate him on winning when he laughed and said you beat me.

Turns out I missed him getting two one pointers on earlier holes he ended up on 35 points while I somehow got back to 36 points with 23 points on the back nine playing it 4 over par.

What a weird and wonderful game this is.