Golf Insurance Help

Watski

Hacker
Visit site
Hi guys, long time lurker but never poster - so bear with me.

I had my golf kit nicked from the boot of my car last night. Fortunately, and potentially very suspiciously, I insured my golf equipment for the first time in 15 years through GolfShield, not 2 weeks ago. This was mainly because I was going to play golf in Portugal and was advised by friends not to rely on general airline/travel insurance as they'd had £1k worth of kit go missing on a flight before and were only offered £400 from the airline and also because I've recently upgraded to Powakaddy + tour bag because my back has been playing up and lugging a stand bag around wasnt helping - the trolley wasn't stolen although the tour bag was. So I wanted to make sure all my valuable kit was insured properly, through a dedicated insurance company.

There are a couple of flies in the ointment:
1) There is no sign of a break-in in the car - they gained access through the drivers side door, but didnt force the lock or smash the window. I'm driving an old car (1995) at the moment as I recently handed my company one back and this one isn't alarmed. I guess they could argue that I didnt lock the car, although I distinctly remember doing so. The clubs were still out of sight in the boot though. Would this be a problem?

2) I've filled all the claim forms out and got as many receipts/evidence/statements as I can, one thing I have overlooked is that the cars MOT has expired, and the insurance company are asking for an MOT document. Would this also be a problem?

Does anyone have any experience of claiming from specific golf insurance? Technically I'm insured 3 times, with the car insurance, house insurance and golf insurance - so should be ok, but am slightly worried about the 2 bits above.

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
Welcome to the forum fella!

Firstly - hve you got a crime ref number off the police for it? If not, you need one right now!

Secondly - you can discount your car insurance as an option, if your car has no valid MOT then your car insurance automatically voids itself.

With regards to point 1, if the police are satisfied that there is no possibility of fraud going on then the insurance company should be ok too, you will be visited by a claim handler though who will make you feel as guilty as possible about the whole situation.

With regards to point 2, this is where you could come unstuck, if the insurance company are asking for a valid MOT and you cant supply one, then there is a good chance that they may fob you off because of this.

Out of interest, what gear are you claiming for?

heronsghyll

Head Pro
Visit site
Why not claim on your house contents insurance? Then the MOT would not be an issue.

I claimed for a stolen set from my car - it was years ago I admit - but my house contents insurer paid up no problem.

Look at your policy, you may be OK.

Watski

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks KeefG

I've got the crime reference from the police, I dont think they're interested in visiting though. The only thing that I'm struggling to get as regards evidence is the receipt for my irons - the proshop I got them from (not my local one) aren't being the most helpful. But I dont think that the situation is irretrievable.

The kit I'm claiming for is pretty much the stuff in my signature, plus a Mizuno 10" tour bag and Mizuno umbrella - I had the usual stuff like balls, gloves, towel, scorecard holder, brush, pitch repairer, etc in the bag too - but its more hassle claiming for these than seems worth it, and I dont want to slow the claim down. My Powakaddy and shoes were in the boot too, but they ignored those for some reason. Whats most important though is just getting something back so I can start playing properly again.

As for the MOT, yeah hands up - it was a silly error, which has been rectified this morning. Although its technically a consideration, it hopefully shouldn't really invalidate anything golf insurance wise because it didnt really contribute to the problem. I hope.

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
Fingers crossed for you then fella!

If you've now had the car MOT'd it might make all the difference. I suppose it stands for something if they left your powacaddy alone!

Watski

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks, the more I think about it the more I'm certain that they're asking for the tax, insurance and MOT for the car because they'd be looking to split the payout with the car insurance company, their form asks for details of house insurance policy too. It was on my drive so technically it wouldn't need any of the 3 at all.

dangermouse

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just be very careful before sending off your claim, I think the small print of my insurance doesn't cover my clubs in teh car boot if stored in there overnight, outside the house - only if they are in the boot at a club, or at a destination on the way to a course.

SO whilst you should be covered by either house insurance or golf, just check the small print on both before finalising your claim. And as already advised, get yourself a crime number pronto - if your plod are anything like mine they will just give you a number over the phone rather than doing any investigation etc.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
might be wrong but I think you can only claim from one insurance not all three.
they would each discount anything paid on another policy if not void the claim entirely - and you have to tell them.