Insurance for road legal golf buggy

jamesM

Visit site
I've just got a road legal electric golf buggy and I need insurance to drive it 400 yards to the golf course. I'm having trouble finding this type of insurance. If anyone has this type of insurance I should be very grateful if they would let me the company they are insured with.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you mean a single seater sit and ride buggy like a mobility scooter or do you mean a a two seater full size buggy?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know some home insurance policies will provide cover for electrically propelled vehicles. Have you checked yours?

jamesM

Visit site
Thanks jim8flog..There are a lot of companies that will give insurance for the buggy on the course but I need cover to travel the 400 yards down a quiet country road.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks jim8flog..There are a lot of companies that will give insurance for the buggy on the course but I need cover to travel the 400 yards down a quiet country road.

When I worked in insurance the cover was for electrically propelled vehicles, there was no mention of where they were used.

I still think the cheapest option is to discuss it with your house contents insurer first.

jamesM

Visit site
When I worked in insurance the cover was for electrically propelled vehicles, there was no mention of where they were used.

I still think the cheapest option is to discuss it with your house contents insurer first.
Hi Jim.. Have been in contact with with house content insurers but no luck. They cover it for loss or damage in the drive way but not on the public roads. Thanks again

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A google search show that Peacock Insurance "can provide buggy insurance for all off road and road legal buggies, one and two seaters, agricultural or private use .. we can cover them all. " Their website isn't very good on my work laptop but there is a number to call so could be worth giving them a bell.

jamesM

Visit site
A google search show that Peacock Insurance "can provide buggy insurance for all off road and road legal buggies, one and two seaters, agricultural or private use .. we can cover them all. " Their website isn't very good on my work laptop but there is a number to call so could be worth giving them a bell.
Good afternoon Neilds. Thank you for message.. I just phoned them and they don't give cover on buggies. Thanks again

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have you asked you car or golf insurers if they could adapt your policy to cover it.
Fully comprehensive car insurance usually allows you to drive other vehicles not belonging to you.
Worth asking (y)(y)

MACM85

Visit site
Have you asked you car or golf insurers if they could adapt your policy to cover it.
Fully comprehensive car insurance usually allows you to drive other vehicles not belonging to you.
Worth asking (y)(y)

The fully comp car cover has the driving other car extension. That is only in force if the vehicle you are wishing to drive has cover in place currently. It wouldn't let you drive an uninsured vehicle.

MACM85

Visit site
My golf insurance does a Buggy Insurance which covers you if you need to cross a public highway from one part of the course to another. It also covers buggies at home. Perhaps give them a ring to discuss your needs.

https://www.golfplan.co.uk/golf-buggy-insurance

I read that from my own golf insurance. It seems that it will cover if you need to cross a public highway while playing golf. Not a stand alone road risk cover for the buggy to be on public road to drive to the course from the posters home.

The home insurance will extend to cover the buggy for loss and damage from third party risks. It is a tough one to get cover for. I would presume look down the lines of motability scooters or electric bike insurance.

Last edited:

jamesM

Visit site
Worth asking (y)(y)
Hi williamalex1. Thank you for your suggestion. I thought of that. My car is fully comp but any other vehicle that I drive must have some type of insurance. I think also that it must be in the same category . Thanks again williamalex. PS. I hope that when the season stats you get your handicap down again :) James

jamesM

Visit site
I read that from my own golf insurance. It seems that it will cover if you need to cross a public highway while playing golf. Not a stand alone road risk cover for the buggy to me on public road to drive to the course from the posters home.

The home insurance will extend to cover the buggy for loss and damage from third party risks. It is a tough one to get cover for. I would presume look down the lines of motability scooters or electric bike insurance.