Insurance for road legal golf buggy

jamesM

Visit site
Hi MACM85. You have got it summed up perfectly. I'll try motability scooter and electric bike insurance. Thanks, James

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
You can also try speaking to your car insurer and see if they will add the buggy as an additional vehicle, problem is not all insurers will do this so it depends who you are with. I am a private client insurance broker and placing this typer of risk is a pain in the arse, my last one the client placed it on his car policy which I do not look after so unsure who that was with

High Net Worth policies will cover them but premiums are normally in the 1000's.

Also what about where you bought it from, they must come across this issue and get asked for companies all the time, do they not have any recommendations?

jamesM

Visit site
The fully comp car cover has the driving other car extension. That is only in force if the vehicle you are wishing to drive has cover in place currently. It wouldn't let you drive an uninsured vehicle.
That's what I think too. I'll keep searching. Nearly as hard as finding a swing that will work for a few rounds. Thanks again, James

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Will this need an MOT like cars every year.?
I think most mobility scooters are not insured !
that’s why they drive on the pavement.

mobility scooters that are used on pavements must be speed limited to 4 MPH (however watching a lot of users I doubt that they are aware of this). One of my golf buggies had a speed limit switch to make it legal on pavements. Users are insured if they have a home contents policy which includes cover for electricly propelled vehicles.

jamesM

Visit site
You can also try speaking to your car insurer and see if they will add the buggy as an additional vehicle, problem is not all insurers will do this so it depends who you are with. I am a private client insurance broker and placing this typer of risk is a pain in the arse, my last one the client placed it on his car policy which I do not look after so unsure who that was with

High Net Worth policies will cover them but premiums are normally in the 1000's.

Also what about where you bought it from, they must come across this issue and get asked for companies all the time, do they not have any recommendations?
Hi Reemul. Yes must be a pain and I'm embarrassed pestering the broker to find out if he has placed it yet. The company I bought it from have only sold a few of these,maybe to golfing farmers, and they put them down as farm equipment. Probably got the VAT back too.:) I have now found one company will cover it at £475 but I think that's a bit rich for traveling about 80 mile a year. At least it's a start. Thanks again, James

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi Reemul. Yes must be a pain and I'm embarrassed pestering the broker to find out if he has placed it yet. The company I bought it from have only sold a few of these,maybe to golfing farmers, and they put them down as farm equipment. Probably got the VAT back too.:) I have now found one company will cover it at £475 but I think that's a bit rich for traveling about 80 mile a year. At least it's a start. Thanks again, James

Sorry I didn't mean clients are a pain in the arse, I mean underwriters, it's not a big risk and we cover ATV's and other stuff easily, sometimers they are just too inflexible, have a similar problem with Jet ski's as well