Golf in Spain - Near Malaga

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So we booked a trip to Spain for late February.

We are going to play 3 rounds at La Cala.

Yet on the day we arrive we have nothing booked so we are looking for a course between Malaga airport and La Cala which we could play.

Anyone have any recommendations of any courses?

Or is La Cala the best and we should just play again there?

Also, we need to book a car. There is 4 of us with golf bags and small suitcase. Anyone have any recommendations of car hire companies and what car size would be best?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We always use MalagaCar for booking cars - and normally get something like a Berlingo.

As for courses near La Cala, I love Calanova. Not too far from La Cala and great fun.

MalagaCar are excellent, have used them loads of times and no issues.

Good tip is to buy excess insurance here before you go. Should cost about £40 for an annual policy.

Some clown managed to drive into our hire car when we were golfing in Portugal last year, and drove off without leaving any info. Laughably, ours was the only car in the entire row of the car park, and they still managed to hit it. Quick phone call to insurance company back in the UK, they said don't bother notifying the police, just pay what the hire company charge you, and we will reimburse you. Which they did.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Cheers guys that is very useful.

Always wary of car hire companies so some experiences really help

Visit site
Coffey: We have just returned from our Spanish trip.
When we land we always play Parador right next to the airport.....literally six minutes drive.
It's not my favourite, I don't think the fairways are in great condition, but my mates like it. It once hosted the Spanish Open. However, because of its proximity to the airport, it gets our vote.
Other great courses include. Santana, Mijas Lagos, and Mijas Olivos. Further south, there's Los Naranjos, Marbella Country Club.
We have just played El Chaparral, but we will be giving it a miss in future........it's just NOT in good enough condition at present.

Hitdaball

Visit site
Torre Quebrada or Santana would be my choice in that order.
If you wanted somewhere more budget conscious the Mijas Olivos.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks all

Going to give this a look now.

Was recommended Santana by another person as well.

D

Deleted member 1418

Santana is better than the two Mijas courses, and backs onto one of the La Cala courses (can't remember which one!)

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Looks like Santana is the one.

Thanks All.

Hopefully they are as if I play like I am currently the amount of balls I will need to bring will go over the weight limit!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Malaga car for me as well. Used them over 15 times with no problem. Get an excess insurance policy, I use icarinsurance, which costs around £50 a year. Saves a fortune buying hire car comp’s own policy. It covers up to nine additional drivers.

Jon321

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No help on the other course but if you haven’t played la Cala before you are in for a treat. Was there last weekend as a mate owns an apartment there, three brilliant courses and some absolutely stunning holes. Enjoy.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Shame el chap has gone downhill on condition, we also had to leave phones locked up last time as they had issues with people running onto the course and stealing from buggies.

Don’t think I’ve played Santana but what I was going to say is la Cala whilst awesome is challenging and quite hilly. Mijas courses were flat, built around lakes so it may have the advantage of being a more relaxed start and its closer to the airport than la Cala, so breaks up the journey (although pretty short journey as it is).

Last edited:

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yeah La Cala looks pretty tough, lots of hills and undulations. Really looking forward to it

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Malagacar for the car hire. They ARE the best.

Cabapino for the course, it's about 10 minutes on the road from La Cala, and has one of the best par 4 tee shots you are ever likely to play, plus, it's generally reasonable value.

Enjoy your trip.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Love la Cala. I have nothing else to compare it to in terms of golf abroad, we’ve been there twice, but I’d happily spend the rest of my days there! 😂

It is quite daunting in places, blind tee shots, teeing off the top of a cliff, over big drop offs etc, but the fairways are quite wide and the rough’s not too bad. The hardest part of it for me is the bunkers, not the same sand as we use over here and takes some getting used to.

For evening meals, pop down to Mijas. There’s a lovely sea food restaurant in the centre on the sea front. I’d also recommend the grill/steakhouse next to the Irish bar - best ribeye I’ve ever had.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
There is also a 9 hole course at La Cala, called La Noria

Its short with some quirky holes and not particularly expensive. Might be worth considering fir a fun 9 holes if you don't have a lot of time.
Its certainly not a full scale course, but its a very popular little spot, and right at the side of the dual carriageway where you turn up to la Cala.

https://www.lanoriagolf.net/