Golf in Phuket - worth every penny

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Well, as indicated in other posts, a quick report on my golfing travails in Thailand recently. I know that people have moaned about places like Thailand 'getting expensive' but given the main source of income for these places, it's only fair in my view.

In the end, I only got to play on two courses (one of them twice) but the standard of the courses was exceptional. It ended up costing me about £55 per round to get picked up from the hotel, green fee paid, a caddy hired and then driven back to the hotel after. Doesn't seem expensive to me. I would also argue that had these courses been in England the cost for green fee alone would probably have been in the £125-175 mark.

I played Loch Palm and Blue Canyon (Lakes course, twice). Both visually stunning and both a fair test. With four different tees to choose from, you can make it as hard or fun as you like.

The standout hole at Loch Palm was the 14th (photos to follow in time). A 150yd par 3 with a 60' drop in height to the green! A lake guards the front, bunkers all around, a huge green and the wind can play total havoc with your club selection. My perfectly hit wedge flew great, got caught on the wind and seemed to just hover in mid-air before falling 5yds short of the green - nuts.

My caddy experience at Loch Palm wasn't great unfortunately and did taint the experience a touch. However, that could be because the caddies at Blue Canyon were brilliant.

Blue Canyon Lakes is the cheaper of the two course available - but how I wished I'd stumped up for the more expensive Canyon course - not least of all when you see who's played there

BlueCanyonclubrecords.jpg

and how beautiful it looks from the clubhouse balcony...

BlueCanyonbalcony3.jpg

Here's my wedge to the 132yd par 3 12th to 2'...and inevitable missed putt:

BlueCanyon12th-missedbirdie.jpg

and my more successful birdie on the par 5 13th:

BlueCanyon13th-madebirdie.jpg

which was followed by a lovely little dance of joy from my caddie!

The second time I played at the Lakes, I came back in 39 on the par of 37 with all 3 bogey putts finishing in the jaws. For a 15hcper, you can imagine how pleased I was with that!

I can honestly say these were the best golfing days I've had. If anyone is thinking of going that way, take your clubs, you won't regret it.

Anyhoo, I thought I'd just share my delight with you all - especially as it appears to have done nothing but rain since I got back!

ob1

Medal Winner
Visit site
Nice to hear that :)

Pattaya also have some real nice courses too but I only recommended there if you know how to spot lady boys from a real woman! :D
There are mini bars in every other hole and Grill king prawns with Tom-yum soup can be serve when-ever, where-ever you want to eat...yum yum (not to mention gorgeous looking caddy :)

The balls seem to go a lot further in hot countries and anyone could become Rossy Fisher for a day or two in Far East.

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The balls seem to go a lot further in hot countries and anyone could become Rossy Fisher for a day or two in Far East.

Something that hit me yesterday as I played for the 1st time back in England! The 8i I was hitting up to 165yds was back to 150 and it messed with my yardages quite a bit.

Must...get...gps... :)

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I did take my own clubs. 3w, 4/6/8/PW/LW + putter plus all the usuals comes to about 12kg in my flight bag and most airlines let you have 15kg of golf stuff in your total limit.

Don't see the point of hiring clubs abroad when it really ups the price and you have no idea what you might end up trying to play with.

Besides, it's nice to look down on your putter and think of putts that it's made around the world - makes you feel like a pro!

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did you only take half the set purely for the weight?

Couldn't you have packed everything except the clubs in the suitcase even the balls?

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The carry bag with 14 clubs in the flight bag would be pushing the limits I think but then I'd still have to carry all the other stuff in my luggage and the 15kg allowance is part of your (usual) 20kg total, so not really possible.

That said, I'm not sure I would bother with the full set anyway, as a half-set is more than adequate (hell, I can shoot my handicap with 5 clubs!). If I was paying to ship the clubs (e.g. with Jet2) then I would take the lot, but if I'm getting it 'free', then a half-set is fine.

I only play a half-set during the winter when I carry anyway, so it doesn't feel like a big change for me. From someone who had never played abroad before last Easter, I know need a good reason NOT to take my cluubs with me!

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
I will definately take my clubs next time I go away (Autumn).
Just got back from western Algarve, played Alto. Clubs were aweful, about an inch shorter than mine and poor quality/condition.
Course was also in poor condition, 2x temp greens. Large bare patches on numerous others. Loads of maintenance work going on with fairway bunkers GUR, also a copule of the fairways were very boggy, Lesson learnt!