Golf in Mauritius

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All the courses are within hotel grounds and are well maintained. I played Anahita a couple of years ago and it was fabulous.

Have a word with SLAB on here as he lives in Mauritius and will be able to give you more in depth advice.

Enjoy your trip!

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Next year is my and my better half's 25th wedding anniversary, I thought we might go on a golfing holiday to Mauritius. Have any forum members been? Be nice to get some advice before booking anything.
My wife and I went there 5 years ago for her 50th birthday. We stayed at the Heritage Awahli. It was a fabulous hotel - the best service I have ever experienced, almost too attentive at times! We played golf at Le Chateau which was nearby. Although we were there in the supposedly dry season (June), it rained for a short time every other day and the golf course was always fairly wet. One day we weren't allowed to take the buggy onto the back nine. On a day off we took a tour of the southern part of the island - the coloured earths are worth seeing. The other highlight of the holiday was snorkelling over the coral reef. Biggest problem was the 12 hour flight, and we were not very impressed with Air Mauritius.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Next year is my and my better half's 25th wedding anniversary, I thought we might go on a golfing holiday to Mauritius. Have any forum members been? Be nice to get some advice before booking anything.

Great place for a golf holiday with some stunning courses to choose from

There's some info here from when Tashy was arranging his trip but just ask away and I'll answer as best I can

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

Heyup tarkus me man, hope alls well.

Yup ah was in Mauritius last December on a bit of a swarree with Missis Tash and met the legend that is aka Slab, he is the golf forums resident expert on Mauritius.

re golfing in Mauritius, you mention that you and your beloved are going on a golfing holiday. A couple of important questions.

1, will you both be playing golf.
2, How many times do you want to play.

If you are both playing golf and plan on playing a good bit of golf, I would say book an hotel where the golf is free or you at least get more than enough rounds to wet your whistle. I say that because the golf is expensive. ( compared to Mansfield ).

If you are only playing two or three rounds, book another hotel where you can save a fortune and use the money you will save to pay for your golf. Have a look at both options, golf included or hotel only.

GO ALL INCLUSIVE.

where to stay, we stayed on the east coast and loved it was about 15 mins to the
" ferry" to il aux Cerf GC and twenty mins to Anahita.
I played both courses with the intentions of playing the better one a second time. Both were just stunning, il aux Cerf was tighter that a Scotish accountants wallet.
Anahita was stunning. I played it the second time the same day as the Mauritian open played the final day. It blew me away.

some hotels that are not part of the golfing hotels, do have deals with some of the courses so you can save a bit there. But if you go to a hotel only and want to book a round at a course. Priority is given to hotel guests so sometimes you may well struggle to get on a course. If you do go hotel only, see if you can book your golf before you go out there or you may struggle to get on some courses like we did.

Where to stay, we was going to stay at Heritage and the course looks very very nice, (hired a car )and had an island tour, but for me staying at the east coast is better for the beaches and courses.

If there's owt else you need to know let me know. But speak to slab first though.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Have a word with SLAB on here as he lives in Mauritius and will be able to give you more in depth advice.

I'm sure Slab posted once that he is happy to put up any forummers for a fortnight FOC at his place. He might even pay your flights :thup:

What a nice chap he is :D

pinberry

Club Champion
Visit site
Belle Mare Plage in Mauritius has a great golf course, they have played a European Seniors Tour Event several times there. The resorts itself is top class

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Belle Mare Plage in Mauritius has a great golf course, they have played a European Seniors Tour Event several times there. The resorts itself is top class

Yeah the seniors normally finish their season there and pretty much stick to Belle Mare Legends course

The full European Tour event alternates between Anahita & Heritage, 2017 will be at Heritage (and also the first event in Race to Dubai final series) so hopefully some bigger names coming out

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Il Aux Cerf is lovely. Didn't play the course (I was there for the second half of our honeymoon). The experience of visiting what is essentially a paradise island is somewhat spoiled by the number of other people there and, in particular, the people that arrive on party catamarans.

We stayed at the Oberoi, and if there is a better hotel in the world I would love to know where it is! Every member of staff knew my name from the moment we arrived at the resort (that was actually slightly creepy - but gives you an idea of the lengths that they go to).

macca64

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I played the Ile Aux Cerfs course twice this summer, it's a really beautiful place.

Played it 6 times while I was there in Sept, hardest course I've played, and the best, all the green staff they told me, play at belle mare coz its to hard they said, played at the heritage a few years ago, which was good, and going to belle mare plage in April, as some said, try and stay somewhere where golf is included, it's not that cheap, stayed at long beach, wouldn't recommend it to be honest,

Mike07

Head Pro
Visit site
I stayed at Heritage Awali earlier this year. Got a great last min deal, but wouldn't go back there. Hotel was decent enough but in need of a freshen up. If wanting to stay on that side of the Island, I would go with either Le Telfair or Paradis Beachcomber (assuming you want golf...)

Heritage golf course was nice. Well worth a round, especially as green fees included in the stay.

Like most things... its all about your budget. If budget is no issue go straight to the Four Seasons...

Last edited:

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Paid the deposit yesterday, heading to Mauritius at the end of September (last 2 weeks). Staying all inclusive at Heritage Awali which looks amazing. So excited. Have done a bit of research and the weather seems as though it's going to be pretty nice, anyone else been the last couple of weeks in September? How was the weather?

macca64

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Same time we went, it's all good, course is long, for me anyway, you'll have great time there.im back there in April at the belle mare,😁😁

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Paid the deposit yesterday, heading to Mauritius at the end of September (last 2 weeks). Staying all inclusive at Heritage Awali which looks amazing. So excited. Have done a bit of research and the weather seems as though it's going to be pretty nice, anyone else been the last couple of weeks in September? How was the weather?

Sept/Oct is a good time for golf weather wise, start of summer and before it gets ridiculously hot in Dec/Feb (today it'll be in the 30's with 75% humidity) I usually take a holiday from work around that time of the year and cant really recall one been dominated by bad weather and no chance of cyclones etc

Each course has something special about it but to rank them overall i'd put Heritage as No1, I love playing there and have stayed on or near the course a number of times for long weekends (the on course villas are quite special)

Plenty memorable holes like the short par 4's on 9 and 12 and par 3 13th over water, lots of space for your opening drive with a wide fairway on 1st but its a long'ish par 4 so not many get GIR comfortably in 2
17 is a monster par 4 SI1 & you finish on a beautiful par 5 back to clubhouse from elevated tee
There's about 5 sets of tees so play the blues 1st time (middle) and then adjust back for later games if you want to, you'll enjoy it more. It can be a long course when its windy but if you choose the right tee box then its fine and won't beat you up

Same time we went, it's all good, course is long, for me anyway, you'll have great time there. im back there in April at the belle mare,😁😁

You've been before but just wanted to say you've two course at belle mare and for me Links is better than Legends the latter being very tight off many of the tees with water on every hole and it doesn't suit my 'power fade' (although 17th is a stunning par 3)
(belle mare is a great hotel too)

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Another vote for the Heritage Awali. We would be going back again this year but unfortunately the course won't be available for when we wanted to go. Reachable Par 4 9th is a great hole, thread your drive between water from an elevated Tee, just great.
We have also stayed and played at Paradis (course not as nice as Heritage, Hotel is unreal, beach is the best we have been to).
Tamarina also, boutique Hotel so small and personal, nice golf course too, some really tricky holes, beach is average.
Love Mauritius more than any other place I have been to, it's just a special place.