Golf in Florida

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all

Possibly visiting Florida again this summer, not sure where yet. Done the parks etc and the wife and kids are happy lounging round the pool on days when we aren't out and about.

I've played 18 once before in Florida and while it was quite an experience (an armadillo ran across the fairway as I was about to tee off on one hole!) it was obviously a hot and sticky round but great fun.

Has anyone got experience of staying on a golf resort or near one, ideally I would like somewhere that...

• has a 9 hole par 3 which is probably more than enough most days before it gets too hot, but an option of 9 or 18 on a full course good as well.
  • They rent clubs at reasonable rates for the week.
  • You have a chance of meeting up with other single golfers who have left the family sun bathing.

Thoughts appreciated.

GMC1981

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi all

Possibly visiting Florida again this summer, not sure where yet. Done the parks etc and the wife and kids are happy lounging round the pool on days when we aren't out and about.

I've played 18 once before in Florida and while it was quite an experience (an armadillo ran across the fairway as I was about to tee off on one hole!) it was obviously a hot and sticky round but great fun.

Has anyone got experience of staying on a golf resort or near one, ideally I would like somewhere that...

• has a 9 hole par 3 which is probably more than enough most days before it gets too hot, but an option of 9 or 18 on a full course good as well.
  • They rent clubs at reasonable rates for the week.
  • You have a chance of meeting up with other single golfers who have left the family sun bathing.

Thoughts appreciated.

Maybe a Disney resort ?

Disney has a 9 hole course and also a couple of former PGA courses . Also amongst the Disney resorts you’ve got Waldorf Astoria and Tranquilo GC which are great courses . Play myself every July and your indeed right . Need to wring my knickers out after a round . I can’t think of any Par3 courses in Orlando.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Google Bella Piazza on US27 great place to stay big pool . Games room,gym. Five min walk to eating and couple of bars . Publix for shopping.
If you stay on a course it’s more expensive.
Highlands Reserve is next door plus a host of courses nearby.
its 30mins from Disney just far enough away.
We stay here every year its got everything a family needs 2/3/4 bed condos.
we book through Golden Florida .
If you need any more info I will help if I can.
Cant think of any 9holers except Disney oak trail.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Stayed at Orange Lake resort a couple of times, indeed met up with a fellow forumer HawkeyeMS last time I was there as he was also there, and had a very enjoyable round and drink afterwards with him and his family. There are a couple of courses on the resort, but last time I was there the main one needed a bit of TLC, but it was fine for me. Am staying at Champions Gate this year so will see what that's like. And they will mostly pair you up with someone else so you make a 3 or 4 ball.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Stayed at Orange Lake resort a couple of times, indeed met up with a fellow forumer HawkeyeMS last time I was there as he was also there, and had a very enjoyable round and drink afterwards with him and his family. There are a couple of courses on the resort, but last time I was there the main one needed a bit of TLC, but it was fine for me. Am staying at Champions Gate this year so will see what that's like. And they will mostly pair you up with someone else so you make a 3 or 4 ball.

I've confused myself in the past on this one. I am staying near to Champions Gate this summer, went a couple of years ago in the same area but didn't try to play then. This time my son and I may look to grab a round. Are there just two courses there, the Greg Norman ones, or are there others also called Champions Gate that are not as good? I appreciate this sounds daft but I have heard so much conflicting advice regarding golf in Florida that I wanted to clarify this.

D

Deleted member 17920

Polo park in davenport right near highlands reserve is a 9 holer. Never played it myself
You have the east and west courses there,

We hired a villa on the East Course and I played the course a fair bit, really enjoyable.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've confused myself in the past on this one. I am staying near to Champions Gate this summer, went a couple of years ago in the same area but didn't try to play then. This time my son and I may look to grab a round. Are there just two courses there, the Greg Norman ones, or are there others also called Champions Gate that are not as good? I appreciate this sounds daft but I have heard so much conflicting advice regarding golf in Florida that I wanted to clarify this.

Champions Gate has a couple of courses which have been there years and are decent. There is a new one called Champions Gate country club which is opened no more than 2 or 3 years and it’s also decent

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Villas at Grand Cypress has 3 9 hole courses and 1 18 hole course on its complex and all very good. The golf channel film many ads and articles here.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Champions gate has two courses the National 6/10 and the International the better course 8/10.
These courses are Green Norman’s creations. At the Omni resort very nice hotel.
Very overpriced for what they are.

There is a new Champions Gate Golf Club right next door very confusing I know.
This is a really good course 9/10 but it’s not cheap .
There is no clubhouse yet , portakabin reception .
Dont let that put you off the course is awesome and would be my choice of the three.

If your staying in this area try Southern Dunes 20min drive on us27.

Polo park is a nine hole but not the best it’s lined by villas very close to the fairways.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site

20 of us played Legends at Orange County Lakes last June, we were on a golf trip and due to play it again a couple of days later, to a man we all refused to go back and played the Ritz Carlton instead, 'Legends' whilst an ok layout was in the worst condition I have ever seen a Florida golf course in, we got a full refund for the game we played and for our cancelled 2nd round. It might have improved in condition since then but take fair warning it was awful.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Champions gate has two courses the National 6/10 and the International the better course 8/10.

Dont let that put you off the course is awesome and would be my choice of the three.

Polo park is a nine hole but not the best it’s lined by villas very close to the fairways.

Not cheap? Under $50 all 3 times I played it last September, probably classed as shoulder season. Cheaper in June, July and August. I do agree it’s a good course and the best of the 3. Clubhouse was under construction in September.

Southern Dunes is probably my second favourite in Orlando behind Grand Cypress

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Cheers :thup:

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Definitely agree with the Southern Dunes recommendations, I’m staying there for two weeks in August, it’s a cracking golf course.

Not sure about 9 hole courses to be honest, I’ve never looked for one, but I can recommend the following full courses, in no particular order :

Celebration
Championsgate International
Championsgate National
Falcons Fire
Orange County National
RitzCarlton
Waldorf Astoria

First choice would be Reunion, there’s 3 top quality courses there although you have to be staying on site to get on there.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Definitely agree with the Southern Dunes recommendations, I’m staying there for two weeks in August, it’s a cracking golf course.

Not sure about 9 hole courses to be honest, I’ve never looked for one, but I can recommend the following full courses, in no particular order :

Celebration
Championsgate International
Championsgate National
Falcons Fire
Orange County National
RitzCarlton
Waldorf Astoria

First choice would be Reunion, there’s 3 top quality courses there although you have to be staying on site to get on there.

I assume you haven’t played Grand Cypress? It would knock Champions Gate, Falcons Fire and Celebration out your list. Haven’t managed Waldorf Astoria but heard good things on it. I won’t ever stay on Reunion so can’t say on that

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I assume you haven’t played Grand Cypress? It would knock Champions Gate, Falcons Fire and Celebration out your list. Haven’t managed Waldorf Astoria but heard good things on it. I won’t ever stay on Reunion so can’t say on that

No, never made it to Grand Cypress, but based on your recommendation I may well give it a go this year. Waldorf Astoria was absolutely flawless when I played it a couple of years back.

Ive never stayed at Reunion, but when Southern Dunes was being renovated in 2016 I managed to get a Dunes card which gave me reciprocals at a few local courses, so played all 3 Reunion courses for peanuts.

Also virtually certain I’m going to play TPC Sawgrass this year, and I’ve heard really good things about Streamsong.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
20 of us played Legends at Orange County Lakes last June, we were on a golf trip and due to play it again a couple of days later, to a man we all refused to go back and played the Ritz Carlton instead, 'Legends' whilst an ok layout was in the worst condition I have ever seen a Florida golf course in, we got a full refund for the game we played and for our cancelled 2nd round. It might have improved in condition since then but take fair warning it was awful.
To be fair though Legends At Orange Lake and the Ritz Carlton are worlds apart.

Ritz Carlton has one of the best practice facility I have ever seen.

Dont confuse this with Ledgends country club 20 miles north up us27 which is a nice course.

Courses in Florida can decline very rapidly but improve just as quick.
The grass grows so fast that it’s all down to how much is spent on them.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not cheap? Under $50 all 3 times I played it last September, probably classed as shoulder season. Cheaper in June, July and August. I do agree it’s a good course and the best of the 3. Clubhouse was under construction in September.

Southern Dunes is probably my second favourite in Orlando behind Grand Cypress
I meant it’s not cheap compared to other better courses imo.
But the prices in Orlando fluctuates so much it’s hard to keep up.

GMC1981

Club Champion
Visit site
No, never made it to Grand Cypress, but based on your recommendation I may well give it a go this year. Waldorf Astoria was absolutely flawless when I played it a couple of years back.

Ive never stayed at Reunion, but when Southern Dunes was being renovated in 2016 I managed to get a Dunes card which gave me reciprocals at a few local courses, so played all 3 Reunion courses for peanuts.

Also virtually certain I’m going to play TPC Sawgrass this year, and I’ve heard really good things about Streamsong.

Waldorf Astoria ( excluding Sawgrass ) is probably the best course I’ve played in Florida . Place oozes class . It’s also probably the most intimidating course from the tee I’ve ever played . Don’t think I’ve used a hybrid as much from the tee as I did that day . Trouble all over the shop .