Golf grips

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
Looking for some advice please if anyone can help.

I've never felt comfortable with standard grips that come with most clubs. I got some new clubs 2 years ago and decided to get jumbo grips put on everything in the bag.
It never fails to get comments when somebody holds my clubs and normally I get the, "how on earth do you use these, I couldn't possibly".

I made the change purely out of feel, not based on anything else.
They now need changing as they're very well worn and my question is, what is the difference between slim/thick grips? i.e. Do slim grips help with control, or vice versa?
I've got pretty big hands/fingers, but I wouldn't say they're fat.

Any advice on what the difference is would be great, thanks in advance.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In the most simplistic terms the bigger the hands the thicker the grips you need (normally a "fitting" would measure your whole length of hand and then length of longest finger and use these to decide which you should be)

Larger grips are also recommended for people with joint pains/arthritis etc

Personally having come from a cricket background with thick bat rubbers on the cricket bat handle I prefer a thick grip, but also non tapered (the vast majority of golf grips get thinner as they go down)

With regards to the impact they have, thicker grips make it harder to have very active hands, hence you sometimes see people whose bad shot is a hook put thicker grips on to quieten down their hands a little

Think whilst the measurements help, what feels comfortable is also important. Last time I changed my grips in terms of type/size I had my 6/7/8 irons fitted with 3 different grips and tried them out until I worked out which was best for me

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I recently went to Superstroke midsize.
Much better for me.
google grip fitting ,I remember a chart that gives you the exact size of grip for your hand measurements.
Can’t find it in my photos.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
If I remember correctly, grips that are too thick make it more difficult to hinge the club, a vital piece of the swing for power.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I remember correctly, grips that are too thick make it more difficult to hinge the club, a vital piece of the swing for power.
Depends on how tense your muscles are .. tight grip loses power, a grip that offers confidence and relaxed muscles achieves greater power...
In the end it is a personal choice.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I use Lamkin uTX [blue] grips in a mid size, I have large hands and I have 2 wraps of tape underneath and extra wraps down the grip so it doesn't taper too much. I've kept to this forumla now for over 3 years, so much so I bought a load of the grips in bulk and my Pro keeps them and puts them on clubs I swap & buy so I have everything equal.

I think its important to have the right grips and feel, confidence is also everything in the game.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is the one I used.

Attachments

• C123A03D-670E-4988-A4AE-B119DA6D7CE5.png
    C123A03D-670E-4988-A4AE-B119DA6D7CE5.png
    351.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 47D0ACF5-A334-4A3B-BAAC-9599824B06DF.png
    47D0ACF5-A334-4A3B-BAAC-9599824B06DF.png
    771.8 KB · Views: 18

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Depends on how tense your muscles are .. tight grip loses power, a grip that offers confidence and relaxed muscles achieves greater power...
In the end it is a personal choice.

I was referring more to the size of the grip than how tightly it's held, I think it goes something like this:

A thin grip encourages the club to be held more in the fingers which allows easier hinging of the club, but can promote a hook.

A thick grip brings more of the palm into the grip, which counters the above effects.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Looking for some advice please if anyone can help.

I've never felt comfortable with standard grips that come with most clubs. I got some new clubs 2 years ago and decided to get jumbo grips put on everything in the bag.
It never fails to get comments when somebody holds my clubs and normally I get the, "how on earth do you use these, I couldn't possibly".

I made the change purely out of feel, not based on anything else.
They now need changing as they're very well worn and my question is, what is the difference between slim/thick grips? i.e. Do slim grips help with control, or vice versa?
I've got pretty big hands/fingers, but I wouldn't say they're fat.

Any advice on what the difference is would be great, thanks in advance.

Play what is comfortable for you. Likewise I play midsize with 3 layers of tape. I don't have big hands but that feels so much more natural to me than a thin "standard" grip.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Last year I bought a second hand wedge that had a midsize Align grip on it, I absolutely hated it and couldn't wait to get it off! It might be that I'm just used to standard grips now so anything thicker feels weird - but it felt like gripping a baseball bat. It should be noted that I have very skinny fingers though, so thin grip probably better anyway.

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
Brilliant replies from everyone. As always, thanks very much for your input.
I've also been Googling it and there's nothing conclusive out there to prove one way or another so as the majority say here, it's just a personal thing.

Think I'm going to stick with my thicker ones and just get new replacements. They fit nicely in my hand and grip remains good.

Cheers all!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I have jumbo lamkin grips with four wraps and they fit my paws just right .when I pick up a club with standard size grips it's not a great feeling it's like holding a pencil

Remind me not to be rude to you at the next meet if your hands are that big ?

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have jumbo lamkin grips with four wraps and they fit my paws just right .when I pick up a club with standard size grips it's not a great feeling it's like holding a pencil

Glad to see I'm not the only one doing this. I think grip size is part art, part science, moving larger or smaller will have swing effects on a micro level, but being relaxed and comfortable with what you are holding is important too. My choice for jumbo with 4 wraps was part big hand (XL glove) and part coming to golf from competitive weightlifting I found switching from a mens barbell to a womens felt like holding a pencil, let alone some golf grips.

So whilst calculators can give you a ballpark, comfort and background factors may play into it too.