Golf CV??

Liverpool_Dan

Visit site
Hi,

I have been golfing for around two years and I am attempting to join a club in my area. This club usually requires four referrers to allow an interview but as I don't have that and only have a friend of the secretary helping me out they have asked for some of my info.*

They have asked for my golf CV and a covering letter, just wondering if anyone here has experience with this or any tips as I am in the dark with this one.*

I have no CV really, never been a member anywhere, don't have a handicap and I'd guess it's at a below average of 19-20. *I have played a lot of municipal and hotel courses but no major prestigious courses. Looking to make myself look good in order to get an interview with little to go on. Any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Dan

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
Steve Gibbs
Handicap 28
play crap, swear like a trooper, hurl clubs & smoke like a chimney

but a bloody nice chap

thats mine, would I get in?

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
on a serious note. I would put where you are at golf wise, courses you have played, the fact you understand the rules, etiquette etc.

Just be honest (unlike a real CV where we all pad it out)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Just put who you are, what level you are at, a few favourite courses you have played and why, pet hates / loves of golf, how you love the camaraderie of golf, want to get into the social side, meet like minded golfers, find a course you can call home, etc. how hard can it be?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a decent professional CV, but never in my 30 years of playing golf at 5 or 6 different clubs (and a few others I looked at) have I been asked for a golf CV, nor do I know what goes into one - qualifications, greatest shots, clubs owned, favourite pattern of sweater?

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As others have said, just be honest. Do you want to join a club by pretending to be somethign you're not? I'm sure you don't and wouldn't.

Say how long you've been playing, list courses played, best scores, reinforce that you love the game because of its great qualities and traditions, say how important etiquette, adherence to the rules and the spirit of fair play are to you, etc.

I would hope that they are looking for the right attitude to the game, rather than having a lot of boxes ticked on a list of requirements.

I know others have said "tell them to shove it" which I'm sure is not what you intend to do, but I would say that if a club really will not accept you for who you are and what you have done, then you really do NOT want to be a member there.

Good luck. :thup:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had to write an application letter to Stoke Rochford when I joined which was then put on the board for members to comment on if they wished. Basically all I did was detail my golfing history (play mainly at x club, been playing for x years, no handicap etc).

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Again, which club is it?

Our club would let you in anyway, as long as you are not a total new starter (even then they may).

Other things that may help are if you have been a member/player in any other sports. Have you been in a squash league, did you run it, cricket club etc. The more middle class sport the better. Did you just play, were you an administrator also, an official etc.

Have you played for any golf societies?

Where do you live also, and have you tried any other clubs, apart from this one, or do you have your heart set on this club?

Last edited: