Golf Clubs in the North East - South Tyneside

Lee.S

Visit site
Hi lads,

I've just started playing golf and I've played a couple of rounds at George Washington.
I've decided to join a local club, I'm closest to GW but Boldon is not much further away either, is there any particular course that would be better for me as a beginner?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wearside is a nice course, some odd holes and tough par 3's though.
Not played the George Washy so can't comment there.
Boldon was ok but nowt special from what I remember.
Heworth is a bit boring and closed a lot when it's wet (dons tin hat).
Ravensworth, avoid.
CLS is the place to be though :D

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
In the winter Heworth is wet, Washington is wetter & Boldon is wettest. If you want to play in the winter the best courses are Sharpley, Whitburn and, especially, South Shields, which is virtually never closed & hardly ever on temporary greens. For example, tomorrow, if it's not raining, the course will be perfectly playable. I hate the layout at Whitburn & the bottom holes are wet & dangerous.

Not sure about how Chester le Street plays in the winter but I've heard the river has been known to flood onto some of the fairways.

Lee.S

Visit site
Thank for the replies.

CLS is about a 15 minute drive for me to get too, so not that far.
I've been told Shields is the best for all year golf due to the drainage, again about 20 minutes from me.

The reasons I was looking at GW was a) the closest and b) the driving range, which as a beginner I still need to use.

I know one or two members of Boldon so I thought it might be easier to integrate into the club, also you get reduced rates at some other golf clubs.

I think what I'm after is a club which isn't too difficult, without really narrow fairways so I'm not permanently in the rough and can enjoy the game while I learn how to play.

Cheers.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
Thank for the replies.

CLS is about a 15 minute drive for me to get too, so not that far.
I've been told Shields is the best for all year golf due to the drainage, again about 20 minutes from me.

The reasons I was looking at GW was a) the closest and b) the driving range, which as a beginner I still need to use.

I know one or two members of Boldon so I thought it might be easier to integrate into the club, also you get reduced rates at some other golf clubs.

I think what I'm after is a club which isn't too difficult, without really narrow fairways so I'm not permanently in the rough and can enjoy the game while I learn how to play.

Cheers.

I’m a member at boldon, and it’s definitely improved year on year. The new greenkeeper is doing an incredible job and the course has been updated plenty in the last year. (Bunkers/drainage etc)

As for it being the wettest course, I couldn’t possibly say in comparison to others, but I’ve had no issues getting on the course over the winter. We’re typically on temps during the week then full greens at wkend, which to me just seems sensible.

When I started playing there I didn’t know anyone, now got a group of about 7 of us all who just met through the course, so it’s a pretty friendly bunch.

It isn’t the most challenging course, but I’m yet to hear of any course in the area that is to be honest. Plenty of low handicap golfers who seem to enjoy it and find it a challenge.

Sounds like you know a few lads already but if you’re interested in playing and need a partner give me a shout.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site

Cheers.

Also, boldon has just built some bays on its practise field so you can practise under cover. (You do use your own balls still, so need to collect)

Lee.S

Visit site
Thanks for the input lads.

I think I'm going for a round at Boldon tomorrow then pop down to CLS on Monday.

I'll make a decision after that.

Cheers