Golf Club snobbery

Paulsearle1405

Medal Winner
Visit site
SURREY NATIONAL GC

As above, myself & 2 friends played here on Sunday. We booked by phone on the Tuesday for 10:04 Tee off.

We arrived just after 9 to warm up in driving range, we got our score cards and went for a practice. We then headed to the 1st tee only to find about 3 groups waiting. I went into the pro shop to ask what was happening to be told our tee time had been moved to 11am because a large group of members were heading out.

I cannot believe how we were treeted & will not be going back here again or any of the other courses in their group.

We did play but did not enjoy it for obvious reasons.

D

Deleted member 15344

That doesn’t sound like snobbery that just sounds like extremely poor manners and bad management of guests

Snobbery would be not allowing you in the first place

Paulsearle1405

Medal Winner
Visit site
It certainly felt like snobbery being told we were being moved so precious members can get out. No apologies just oh yes your tee time has been put back because some members have arrived

DaveTheHead00

Medal Winner
Visit site
That’s poor management by the course manager. If the members wanted to head out when a guest had a tee time booked they should have discounted/gifted part of your ticket as a gesture of good will. Even a sleeve or two of balls would’ve shown you they care a little about guests. You may even have enjoyed it and returned.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Indeed, don't confuse the actions of golf businesses with golf clubs. The members there will experience similar from time to time, in respect of visiting groups, as decided by management!

gmhubble

Head Pro
Visit site
I wouldn’t blame the club here - defenitely the course manager / pro shop error here - absolutely disgraceful - am sure social media would love this story and it would wake them up a bit

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The members must have their guaranteed tee times.
Pushing a visitor out like that is really poor .
Why have a booking system if this is how they work it.

The precious members quip though ? The members keep the club open.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The members must have their guaranteed tee times.
Pushing a visitor out like that is really poor .
Why have a booking system if this is how they work it.

You might be surprised as to the existence of guaranteed tee times, let alone booking systems, at some propritory golf course set ups!

Paulsearle1405

Medal Winner
Visit site
I was once a member at epsom golf club & always pre booked rounds at the weekend. During the week I would turn up but never dream of pushing in front of anybody member or visitor. Members keep golf clubs open that is true but maybe I was visiting the course with a view of joining.

I do blame the club 100% the guy in the pro shop was rude & blunt but he was working for the club therefore I blame the club

G

guest100718

yes 100 % clubs fault
no surprise though we've had
members try to push in between our society at times. sense of entitlement I'm afraid

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’d personally complain about the tee time being moved. I wouldn’t stand for it because my tee time are done around me needing to be home after the round so moving a time wouldn’t be any good

Wouldn’t be surprised if they invite you back for free as an apology

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
well its a club employee who made the decision so 100% the clubs fault imho

Not really, the employees are employed by the Altonwood Group who own a number of golf courses.so it comes back to what you mean by 'the club'

Looking back at this particular situation I suspect that the real issue was that a telephone booking was accepted for a tee time that was scheduled or blocked out for the stableford competition played that day. Visitors wouldn't have been able to make an online booking for that day/time. Why it was accepted, and what happened after that, is entirely speculation but I suspect that the business took the booking for that time on the basis that they should be able to get them out about then OK (without saying that of course) but in practice there were groups scheduled out in the comp at that time. As i say, pure speculation but most likely a pure case of double booking.
The actual members probably knew nothing about the issue rather than acting snobishly- if they had known they would have had a right go at management!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not really, the employees are employed by the Altonwood Group who own a number of golf courses.so it comes back to what you mean by 'the club'

Looking back at this particular situation I suspect that the real issue was that a telephone booking was accepted for a tee time that was scheduled or blocked out for the stableford competition played that day. Visitors wouldn't have been able to make an online booking for that day/time. Why it was accepted, and what happened after that, is entirely speculation but I suspect that the business took the booking for that time on the basis that they should be able to get them out about then OK (without saying that of course) but in practice there were groups scheduled out in the comp at that time. As i say, pure speculation but most likely a pure case of double booking.
The actual members probably knew nothing about the issue rather than acting snobishly- if they had known they would have had a right go at management!

well if they own the golf course its their club and their employee surely?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
well if they own the golf course its their club and their employee surely?

Can't fault that logic!

My point revolves around the title of the thread; it implied that the members were acting in a particular manner because they were members; in practice those individual were really visitors too, but with an annual booking contract! Ie this particular incident isn't adult members and visitors at all,

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not overly surprised. I've a mate who was a member next door to Surrey National at Kingswood and he said they'd lots of their members joining because they couldn't get off at the times booked and Surrey National looked to squeeze players out as tightly as possible.

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I looked to join the Altonwood group as a Platinum member, so I got The Addington as my main course but could play all the other group courses as I wished.

The Addington appeared quiet, the others looked busy on my visits to look and it certainly put me off.

To be honest I found the whole experience quite unprofessional, so am not surprised by your thread.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Can't fault that logic!

My point revolves around the title of the thread; it implied that the members were acting in a particular manner because they were members; in practice those individual were really visitors too, but with an annual booking contract! Ie this particular incident isn't adult members and visitors at all,

ah ok, no no blame on the members i expect, just the way the place is run, place i ve just left has had it the other way as members at times (£100 for a 4ball overrules membership rights lol)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You might be surprised as to the existence of guaranteed tee times, let alone booking systems, at some propritory golf course set ups!
surley if they have “ members “ then certain times would be set aside.
At my club it’s before 9,30 am and between 12 to 2pm no visitors allowed to play.

But at these proprietary clubs I would have thought it was more important to have times as they get so many visitors.

The fact he was given a tee time means there must be some system in place!

Paulsearle1405

Medal Winner
Visit site
I am not blaming the members.

Our time was booked in advance
Arrived 50 min early. Paid & received cards (no mention of any adjustment to tee time)
Came back from range 1st tee packed
To be told with no apology our time had been moved because they had to fit some members in who had turned up.

Best part of 2 hours before teeing up.

I never once blamed the members. If a club is run where people just arrive & are allowed to start when they wish not when a slot is free that's wrong.