Golf Club Clique's

swanny32

Journeyman Pro
Tiptree, Essex - Where they make the Jam!
www.utilitywarehouse.org.uk
Something happened today that made me wonder about cliques in clubs and how they are perceived by outsiders. I believe I'm a member of a clique at my club but make every effort to not appear as though I'm one of the members who make it difficult to get involved with us, i.e. I make a point of inviting people along to play with us as and when possible.

Why do some people seem hell bent on not allowing others to get involved and more importantly, make it so hard for "new" members of the clique to feel accepted?

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I teed it up with a group at our place and one of the guys was one of the two organisers of said group. We had a good game, I didn't take any money, and he said I was welcome along any time. They had a Facebook Group on which folk would discuss what time they would tee off at any given comp (or non-comp) day.

The other organiser, a guy I'd never met let alone played with, removed me from the group before the week was out.

People can be.... Difficult.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I think it is quite natural. Not neccessarily nice and maybe something we all should try to overcome, but natural nonetheless. For one thing, playing golf always involves a high risk of making a fool out of yourself. That is not neccessarily something you want to do in front of a stranger/newcomer. In your usual circle of friends/playing partners, even though there might be some teasing and ridicule, you know their faults and weaknessses as well as your own, preventing you from feeling inferior. Also, golf might be your escape from troubles at home or at work, time when you can relax, let off steam or maybe even share some of your personal problems with your friends. Having a stranger along might make that awkward or impossible.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I’d guess some folks don’t even know they’re in a clique
Some know and will welcome others to join
Some will fear losing their ‘big fish’ status
Some just don’t mix well with new people

Maybe there’s even some cliques with members who feel they should ‘own’ a bigger part of the club than the newer arrivals and a newbie will have to serve their time on the outside / or that their length of service gives them an apparent increase in standing within the club

Who knows

We had cliques at school too but we called them gangs

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Oh to be in a clique! I've no one else to play with :(

I have tagged along with some other members (once or twice) and they've been really accommodating.

D

Deleted member 15344

Every roll up or society can be classed as a clique - how those cliques are viewed though will always be determined by how the welcome people

All the rolls up at our place bar maybe one welcome anyone with open arms and will be part of the roll ups rules for winning money and HC changes etc - the one i play with are first on the course and anyone who turns up that early joins in

Societies are a little different as a number of times its down to invite from the society

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
All the rolls up at our place bar maybe one welcome anyone with open arms and will be part of the roll ups rules for winning money and HC changes etc - the one i play with are first on the course and anyone who turns up that early joins in

I agree with this. To build on it...I believe its the clubs responsibility to make sure that new members are aware of the various swindles / roll ups etc. Introduce them to the organisers etc etc

I played with a guy the other week who I'd previously played with in the Summer in a drawn competition. I asked him how he had enjoyed his first year as a member etc etc. As I often look through rose tinted glasses with regards to my golf club, his reply shocked me. He said he had not really enjoyed it. Whilst he had not played golf with anyone who he wouldn't gladly play with again, he had struggled to get a regular game at weekends and had struggled to get down on the sheet for competitions (as spaces book up fast and because he works shifts, he was unable to log on at 9pm on Thursdays and sign up). I felt a little guilty for not doing more.

We need to integrate new members better. Make them aware of swindles, hold new member evenings etc.

Keeno

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm not part of one, but don't really see an Issue if say a group of 8-12 friends would rather play in their own group.

They pay the fees and can play with whoever they like

D

Deleted member 15344

I agree with this. To build on it...I believe its the clubs responsibility to make sure that new members are aware of the various swindles / roll ups etc. Introduce them to the organisers etc etc

I played with a guy the other week who I'd previously played with in the Summer in a drawn competition. I asked him how he had enjoyed his first year as a member etc etc. As I often look through rose tinted glasses with regards to my golf club, his reply shocked me. He said he had not really enjoyed it. Whilst he had not played golf with anyone who he wouldn't gladly play with again, he had struggled to get a regular game at weekends and had struggled to get down on the sheet for competitions (as spaces book up fast and because he works shifts, he was unable to log on at 9pm on Thursdays and sign up). I felt a little guilty for not doing more.

We need to integrate new members better. Make them aware of swindles, hold new member evenings etc.

Spot on

Myself and our Membership Sec have the names of all the roll up organisers as well as the timings

Whenever a new member arrives we have an informal chat with them and others and let them know when the roll ups happen and who they can get in touch with - sometimes some of the roll up organisers attend as well to meet new members and to ensure they get invited to turn up at whatever time of roll up they want to join.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
This has been the issue that I have had with both of the clubs that I have recently been a member of. Both were very much of the 'we have your money, now off you go and sort yourself out' approach with little to help new members.

At both clubs, cliques were inevitable. No drawn competitions, no weekend roll ups and a large percentage of the membership were long term and established. They had found their groups, knew enough people and had little interest either in inviting new members to join or playing with anyone else. They play together, have a drink at a table together (nobody stands at the bar at my place) and so they become a clique. There is no malice or intention, it just happens.

The only weekend roll up at our place cannot really be classed as such. It is attended by the great and good and you need to be invited to take part.

This is one of the main reasons that I left my last club and why I am probably leaving this one. I am not a member of a club, I am paying somewhere for the right to play golf. There is no club atmosphere as such, just a group of cliques. That is not for me and so I will take my money elsewhere.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
new club for me last year, this was my greasiest worry leaving a club I had established myself in (good group of friends and groups to play with). I needn't of worried, I was greeted with open arms by every clique, roll up and group I've played with. I now play with a couple of different roll ups, which operate as they should, roll up at arranged time and draw balls. I play with a group on a sunday, it consists of couples mainly. But they have made me feel more at home than I ever have at my old club. An added bonus, I've played more golf with lady members over the last 10 months that most people play over a life time.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
There is a group of 12 in my place who meet up Saturday lunchtimes - and they keep it 'closed'. When I was ignorant of their arrangement I did once manage to get a round with them. I had an enjoyable knock but on the 17th one of the guys I was playing with mentioned (quite pleasantly and rather apologetically as it happens) that they were in essence a closed group and that it's not a roll-up as it messed up the fourball split they like to play and so although they included me that day please don't ask...

Fair enough. Plenty of open roll-ups in my place.

Foliage Finder

Head Pro
Visit site
As a fairly new member, only 6/7 months really, I've yet to really get to know many other members at my club. I've played once or twice as I've been a single on the first tee behind a pair/three ball who have invited me along, but that's it really. The members who I have played with have indeed been very friendly and willing to make concessions for the fact that I am still new and perhaps haven't got the rules/etiquette nailed, never mind the fact that they would often have to watch a tee shot topped into a ditch/sliced into the woods. The bit of etiquette where you wait until the end to play your provisional was learnt very quickly....

Do I blame the members? No, but I'm guessing each club is different and will each have their members on either end of the spectrum. My main issue is that without a handicap, I can't really play in any comps, which is where I would probably meet many more people and actually have use for the bar (not much point going in on your own after a casual round when it's likely to be empty).

I feel that a new members evening would be a great idea though. Such a thing doesn't occur as far as I'm aware at my club, and it would have been tremendously helpful. I'd still go to one now if it were to happen.

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I joined a new club recently as the perception was that it was going to be more friendly and more open to the "common man". The reality couldn't be further from the truth in that i've never been anywhere so closed to intergrating new members. I'm a decent guy but it was impossible to get a game before 9.45 on a weekend due to all the closed schools and swindles. Needless to say i'm back where i was before , have been welcomed with open arms and wish i hadn't of left in the first place.

selwood90

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm relatively new to my place (about 5 months) and it's also something I find quite hard. Getting invited for a game, iv been invited once. And went. But other than that I play on my own. Suppose it may get easier now I have my HCP and can play on comp days. But even around the club I make an effort to talk to people, go in the bar after (even if I'm on my own) and it just tends to be the usual groups sat round the usual tables quite happy to make out you don't exist. Pretty sure it's a running theme in a lot of clubs, and as people have said, those in a clique probably don't even realise they are. I'd say 99 percent of people don't even know they do it. But for those out in the cold on there own, it can be a bit frustrating and not as an enjoyable experience.

WWG

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Something happened today that made me wonder about cliques in clubs and how they are perceived by outsiders. I believe I'm a member of a clique at my club but make every effort to not appear as though I'm one of the members who make it difficult to get involved with us, i.e. I make a point of inviting people along to play with us as and when possible.

Why do some people seem hell bent on not allowing others to get involved and more importantly, make it so hard for "new" members of the clique to feel accepted?

Yeh, that is sad. My club invites anyone (member or not) to turn up at 9am 7 days a week. Sometimes we may have a bash, sometimes just a practice round, and sometimes Texas scramble. If somebody turns up on their own before we go out we will always invite them to play. It's meant to be a sociable game, so EVERYONE should be sociable.

I think it would be a good idea if all municipal clubs had a specific tee off time a few days a week for people who have arrived on their own, who would like to pair up.

Last edited:

swanny32

Journeyman Pro
I have some slight anxiety issues which make it very difficult for me to feel accepted, but I'm aware of that and get on with it as much as possible. I do feel sorry for people who wish they could be apart of the group but maybe look at it as quite an intimidating prospect to even think about asking to play.

I took one friend along to play in the roll up back in the summer, he's a bit of a car park golfer so gave me his fiver and headed off home. When I said that he'd gone home I was welcomed with "He's not welcome back if he can't come and have a drink then". Bit harsh if I'm honest but I can see their point to an extent.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I took one friend along to play in the roll up back in the summer, he's a bit of a car park golfer so gave me his fiver and headed off home. When I said that he'd gone home I was welcomed with "He's not welcome back if he can't come and have a drink then". Bit harsh if I'm honest but I can see their point to an extent.

this can make a huge difference to if your accepted or not, roll ups tend to be more a social thing. If you don't have half hour to sit down and make the extra effort to "fit in" you more than likely won't be asked back.

swanny32

Journeyman Pro
this can make a huge difference to if your accepted or not, roll ups tend to be more a social thing. If you don't have half hour to sit down and make the extra effort to "fit in" you more than likely won't be asked back.

Yeah, I understand that, golf isn't just about going out there and hitting a ball, it's the whole package, breakfast before hand, quick drink and a bit of banter afterwards, £5 notes changing hands....I was a little disappointed that my friend didn't come up for a drink but that's him, he turns up a minute before his tee time, shoots off straight after walking off the 18th green. Don't think I'll bother taking him along again as he'll probably do the same thing again and in a way it makes me look a bit bad as I'm the one who invited him along.