Golf balls to avoid

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
^^^^

Vice are dire, like hitting a Penfold Commando and discoloration happens within a few holes. Not a fan at all.

Genuinely try the Snell if you want a premium ball at a great price.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I don't choose golf balls by fee.
I judge them by visual assessment of their trajectories and even more so, how confidently can I club myself with them.
I can think of previous models that felt very truly harsh but gave me the best results.
Off the top of my head, I can't think of a ball that felt too mushy but performed well for me.
Of course, my memory isn't what it was so I can't swear to it.

I play the Pro V1x because I can club myself with it, plain and simple.
The unexpected deficiency or addition of twenty yards on an approach shot doesn't help anybody's game.

jamiet7682

Visit site
I cant tell the difference between one ball and another, got Srixon AD333 & Callaway CXR Power in the bag at the moment along with any i have found. Cant see me every spending big money on balls.

Swango1980

Visit site
I cant tell the difference between one ball and another, got Srixon AD333 & Callaway CXR Power in the bag at the moment along with any i have found. Cant see me every spending big money on balls.
Many golfers I play with in competitions never buy golf balls, they just use what they find in the bushes. Fair enough, it doesn't cause them any stress so each to their own.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'd definitely avoid lake balls, their performance can be extremely variable....
And you were going so well!

Refurbished ones perhaps, but lake balls are fine - even after very long periods in water! But if you don't 'trust' the ball you are hitting....!

Balls are definitely 'personal' though. I happen to like slightly soft ones A333 Tour/NXT Tour S are my favoured ones. AD333 Soft Feel (Green) feels horrible and plays peculiarly (for me!).

Oh..And I'm happy to play Srixon Distance balls over Winter. They feel a tad 'lighter/more responsive' than AD333s (Blue).

Swango1980

Visit site
And you were going so well!

Refurbished ones perhaps, but lake balls are fine - even after very long periods in water! But if you don't 'trust' the ball you are hitting....!

Balls are definitely 'personal' though. I happen to like slightly soft ones A333 Tour/NXT Tour S are my favoured ones. AD333 Soft Feel (Green) feels horrible and plays peculiarly (for me!).

Oh..And I'm happy to play Srixon Distance balls over Winter. They feel a tad 'lighter/more responsive' than AD333s (Blue).
OK, you may have a point. I've not personally done extensive testing on lake balls, nor watched a YouTube clip where they have been tested. But, I do admit to fishing some balls out of a pond before if they were a decent brand, and can't say they played terribly when I used them. But, I certainly hate the feel of all refurbished balls. In fact, this may have got into my head about my dislike of ProV's, because if I ever hit a refurbished golf ball it almost always is a ProV come to think of it (after all, why refurbish a Pinnacle?)

D

Deleted member 23270

I've found and used a few refurbished Pro V1's before and they were shocking........never again.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I'm struggling to work out what this sentence means! Are you a seal pup by any chance?

I mean that I can choose the right club with the Pro V1x because I know how far that it's going to fly.
I'm familiar with it.
Consistency is the characteristic that I like best in a golf ball, regardless of its other characteristics--feel, spin, length, whatever.
When I choose one, I play it until it goes out of production.
Only then do I experiment with something else.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I tend to stick with the same make and model of ball as that makes it easier for me to remember what I am playing.

i haven’t much of a clue about most golf balls out there - so when I find myself with one I haven‘t played much before or not at all I’ll just do a bit of keepie-uppie with it using my PW and if it sounds OK and doesn’t feel too hard then I’m ok to use it.

Not a very sophisticated ’ball-fitting’ methodology I grant you but it does for me.

D

Deleted member 23270

I mean that I can choose the right club with the Pro V1x because I know how far that it's going to fly.
I'm familiar with it.
Consistency is the characteristic that I like best in a golf ball, regardless of its other characteristics--feel, spin, length, whatever.
When I choose one, I play it until it goes out of production.
Only then do I experiment with something else.
What sort of differences in distance do you find with other balls?

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
What sort of differences in distance do you find with other balls?

I haven't tried other balls in a long time.

My first "regular" ball was the original 2-piece Spalding Top Flite back when it was a premium ball made by a prominent manufacturer.
It was very high compression, and it felt hard. Their premium wound ball was called the "Dot." [Ask your grandfather!] The Top Flite was nicknamed the "Rock Flite" by non-believers.

But unlike with wound balls, which were prevalent at the time, the distance consistency club to club was clearly noticeable.
Further, with extremely sole-weighted Spalding Executive irons made specifically to hit Top Flites, I could spin them, even though they were said to be poor for spin.
Then other non-wound balls came out, these including Spalding's Top Flite XL.
None of them were as distance consistent as original Top Flites for me. I couldn't mis-club myself with a Top Flite. I had to miss the shot.

Eventually, Spalding got out of the golf business and the Top Flite name migrated first to Callaway, who purchased all of Spalding's ball technology, and then as a proprietary in-house ball for Dick's Sporting Goods and Golf Galaxy. The original Top Flite was no longer made, and I was in the market for a new ball.

I didn't settle on anything at first, but all the buzz was about the Titleist Pro V1. On a launch monitor, I got slightly better numbers with a Pro V1x. I don't worship at the altar of launch monitors, but I tried the Pro V1x and it was fine, even though it "felt" nothing like an old Top Flite. At this point, I should have been looking for similar results in a somewhat more reasonably priced ball. But here is how Titleist reeled me in.

Just about any ball could be ordered with one's name printed on it, this resulting in not having to mark one's ball, but Titleist went a bit further with the Pro V1 and the Pro V1x.
They allowed the buyer to choose his own ball number from 0 to 99. I liked the number "79" to keep my eyes on the prize, the target score for me. If I carded a 79, never an easy ask, I was quite pleased with myself, whether or not it was my tab on which the drinks went. When it came to golf, I was always more social than competitive.

So now I play the Pro V1x, 79 is harder to reach and less frequently reached, but it's my ball number.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Many golfers I play with in competitions never buy golf balls, they just use what they find in the bushes. Fair enough, it doesn't cause them any stress so each to their own.

I've played a few competitions with guys like that, hit a Srixon AD333 in to the bushes and continue from out the bushes with a Pinnacle.:ROFLMAO:

Swango1980

Visit site
I've played a few competitions with guys like that, hit a Srixon AD333 in to the bushes and continue from out the bushes with a Pinnacle.:ROFLMAO:
Yeah, a white Srixon turns into a yellow Pinnacle. Never caught anyone red handed cheating, although know of an incident where somebody was caught. Sometimes, you do often wonder though why some players seem to be much luckier than others (time and time again, not just a one off), especially when they've had no one help them find their ball. Coincidence

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I haven't tried other balls in a long time.

My first "regular" ball was the original 2-piece Spalding Top Flite back when it was a premium ball made by a prominent manufacturer.
It was very high compression, and it felt hard. Their premium wound ball was called the "Dot." [Ask your grandfather!] The Top Flite was nicknamed the "Rock Flite" by non-believers.

But unlike with wound balls, which were prevalent at the time, the distance consistency club to club was clearly noticeable.
Further, with extremely sole-weighted Spalding Executive irons made specifically to hit Top Flites, I could spin them, even though they were said to be poor for spin.
Then other non-wound balls came out, these including Spalding's Top Flite XL.
None of them were as distance consistent as original Top Flites for me. I couldn't mis-club myself with a Top Flite. I had to miss the shot.

Eventually, Spalding got out of the golf business and the Top Flite name migrated first to Callaway, who purchased all of Spalding's ball technology, and then as a proprietary in-house ball for Dick's Sporting Goods and Golf Galaxy. The original Top Flite was no longer made, and I was in the market for a new ball.

I didn't settle on anything at first, but all the buzz was about the Titleist Pro V1. On a launch monitor, I got slightly better numbers with a Pro V1x. I don't worship at the altar of launch monitors, but I tried the Pro V1x and it was fine, even though it "felt" nothing like an old Top Flite. At this point, I should have been looking for similar results in a somewhat more reasonably priced ball. But here is how Titleist reeled me in.

Just about any ball could be ordered with one's name printed on it, this resulting in not having to mark one's ball, but Titleist went a bit further with the Pro V1 and the Pro V1x.
They allowed the buyer to choose his own ball number from 0 to 99. I liked the number "79" to keep my eyes on the prize, the target score for me. If I carded a 79, never an easy ask, I was quite pleased with myself, whether or not it was my tab on which the drinks went. When it came to golf, I was always more social than competitive.

So now I play the Pro V1x, 79 is harder to reach and less frequently reached, but it's my ball number.

It was named the Rock Flite by anyone that had caught one a touch thin on a frosty morning with a long iron, with bloody good reason. :cry: You got the feeling back in your fingers about 6 holes later.

They made Pinnacles feel like Titleist Balatas. :LOL:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site