Golf balls to avoid

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't like any Callaway balls I've used actually. I tried Supersoft for a while I never finished the box, still have six of them sitting at home somewhere from a couple of years ago. They have a weird clicky sound/feel that's not to my tastes. Same with the odd Chrome Soft I've found. Could be my imagination but anyway, I won't bother with them.

Strange isn’t it. I love the callaway supersoft. I picked some up cheap at Christmas with the intention of using them in the winter, cheap enough to lose...but I really like them, to the point that I’ve now taken them out of my bag to keep them for best!

Such a mental game this!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Strange isn’t it. I love the callaway supersoft. I picked some up cheap at Christmas with the intention of using them in the winter, cheap enough to lose...but I really like them, to the point that I’ve now taken them out of my bag to keep them for best!

Such a mental game this!
I must admit there is a lot of placebo when it comes to golf balls. A couple of dodgy shots here or there that might not have been the ball, but they stick in your mind and tarnish a ball's reputation for you. On the flipside you might have a couple of really good rounds with a certain ball, by coincidence maybe, but then it can do no wrong.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

Such a mental game this!
i love the feel of the Supersoft, if only it would stop on anything but a wet soft green, lovely to putt with too. using anything else in winter is not a option for me, plus i buy the pink ones and they annoy all my playing partners its worth it for that alone:ROFLMAO:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
i love the feel of the Supersoft, if only it would stop on anything but a wet soft green, lovely to putt with too. using anything else in winter is not a option for me, plus i buy the pink ones and they annoy all my playing partners its worth it for that alone:ROFLMAO:

They are way too soft for me. No feel. I find it amusing that someone else would describe them as 'clicky'. Exact opposite to me.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I must admit there is a lot of placebo when it comes to golf balls. A couple of dodgy shots here or there that might not have been the ball, but they stick in your mind and tarnish a ball's reputation for you. On the flipside you might have a couple of really good rounds with a certain ball, by coincidence maybe, but then it can do no wrong.

Absolutely. I bought 3 dozen srixon z star a while back. The reason I bought them was because I found a yellow one and used it as a provisional, it always seemed to go further than the first ball! That form didn’t continue after I bought 36 of the friggers! ? Nice ball though.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Absolutely. I bought 3 dozen srixon z star a while back. The reason I bought them was because I found a yellow one and used it as a provisional, it always seemed to go further than the first ball! That form didn’t continue after I bought 36 of the friggers! ? Nice ball though.
You've fallen victim to the old 'provisional swing' - the best swings we will ever make. One of our mates we nicknamed Captain Provisional because every provisional ball he hits is a rocket straight up the middle of the fairway.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve found it so strange that people really dislike them. I’ve never used them but I got the impression people loved them.
I actually made a post on a Facebook group asking what people's favourite sub-£20 distance ball is, and AD333 got the most votes easily.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I find the 333 a very ordinary ball
Doesn't feel particularly good, doesn't go particularly far - a bit like the most inappropriately named ball ever - the soft feel ( it just isnt..at all)
People buy them because they're relatively cheap, last until you lose them and are readily available.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find the 333 a very ordinary ball
Doesn't feel particularly good, doesn't go particularly far - a bit like the most inappropriately named ball ever - the soft feel ( it just isnt..at all)
People buy them because they're relatively cheap, last until you lose them and are readily available.
Plenty you could say your last sentence about. I think the AD333 is the top-selling ball in that bracket isn't it? Or is that just something they claim that isn't substantiated?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Plenty you could say your last sentence about. I think the AD333 is the top-selling ball in that bracket isn't it? Or is that just something they claim that isn't substantiated?
I think its probably true, nompiint in bragging about it if it can be proven otherwise
The other thing it has going for it, and this is so ething you've mentioned, is that it's now on its 7th or 8th incarnation
It's been around a long time, it's a familiar name.
Apart from ProV and Z Star there aren't many other balls that have kept the same name for more than 2 or 3 years.
There are some...Chromesoft, Bridgestone RX but not many in the budget range.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think its probably true, nompiint in bragging about it if it can be proven otherwise
The other thing it has going for it, and this is so ething you've mentioned, is that it's now on its 7th or 8th incarnation
Apart from ProV and Z Star there aren't many other balls that have kept the same name for more than 2 or 3 years.
Yeah that is an irritation of mine. Other than ProV Titleist have changed most of their balls for other ones over the years. I think I mentioned it in the Golf Irritations thread - but my own ball the Velocity has been redesigned a couple of times and keeps getting more expensive. At least it kept the same name though!

Srixon have probably had a winner by keeping AD333 with the same name and at the same price for so long.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Do Srixon still do the soft feel? thats been going a while

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yeah that is an irritation of mine. Other than ProV Titleist have changed most of their balls for other ones over the years. I think I mentioned it in the Golf Irritations thread - but my own ball the Velocity has been redesigned a couple of times and keeps getting more expensive. At least it kept the same name though!

Srixon have probably had a winner by keeping AD333 with the same name and at the same price for so long.
now that is a rock:LOL: