Golf balls to avoid

Wolf

Visit site
Very subjective. As a beginner I'd suggest that any ball will do and the cheaper the better while you're losing 4-5 per round.

Funny that someone mentioned Pinnacle. I was under the impression balls like the Pinnacle Soft were made at the same place at Titleist and were in fact the Titleist NXT (as was) rebranded for a different market. Was that the case or an urban myth? Sure I read it on here at some point
Can't remember if it's the exact same ball, but Indo remember seeing an article last year about the Pinnacle Soft and Rush balls being made by in the exact same Acushnet factory and same production line as their Titleist balls. Sure that article said one is effectively the NXT ball and the other is equivalent of the Velocity.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The Pinnacle Exception was a pretty decent ball. I used to play these on holiday in Florida, as drowning brand new ProV1s was painful.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Most of the balls below a Prv1 by Titleist, NXT and the like, like hitting a rock.

AD333 not a fan of...

someone else metioned Mizuno balls, noticed i had a full new box of MP X i don't remember buying them, tried on last tuesday.... lost about 3 clubs distance with it compared to the supersoft

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most of the balls below a Prv1 by Titleist, NXT and the like, like hitting a rock.

AD333 not a fan of...

someone else metioned Mizuno balls, noticed i had a full new box of MP X i don't remember buying them, tried on last tuesday.... lost about 3 clubs distance with it compared to the supersoft
Doubt you can even buy NXT anymore, they haven't produced them for years.

Three clubs difference between balls - 30 odd yards? Really?? :oops:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm happy to take any Mizuno balls that are clearly so offensive to people. I like them, especially the ones with lots of little pin prick dimples on them. Never any doubt which is your ball when you are playing with them.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Doubt you can even buy NXT anymore, they haven't produced them for years.

Three clubs difference between balls - 30 odd yards? Really?? :oops:
yep 4 piece ball i believe cold and windy, didn't feel right off the club, not compared to the Super soft i use in winter where i get no drop off in distance, like i do with a premium ball

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm happy to take any Mizuno balls that are clearly so offensive to people. I like them, especially the ones with lots of little pin prick dimples on them. Never any doubt which is your ball when you are playing with them.
isn't that the JPX? i would use those for hardcore if i where inteing building anything:ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In a recent Rick Shiels video he said he'd never seen anybody using a Mizuno ball, and I had to concur - neither have I. They're really not popular.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Currently 12.50 a doz on golfdepot. I've been using the jpx-s over the winter and it's been pretty good

Russ_D

Club Champion
Visit site
Dunlop DDH. Used to be able to get them in boxes of 15 for £4.99. Still have 4 balls that have been given to my son as he likes the orange colour.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't avoid any make of ball - I grub everything out from the gorse, bushes, trees and undergrowth - most go in my 'to be donated to juniors' bag...those with the word Titleist and letter V (but no city) are for me. A handful of Zstars, B330s, Chromesofts or suchlike will find their way into my ball pocket if I want to whack a couple of balls round when by myself.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I don't avoid any make of ball - I grub everything out from the gorse, bushes, trees and undergrowth - most go in my 'to be donated to juniors' bag...those with the word Titleist and letter V (but no city) are for me. A handful of Zstars, B330s, Chromesofts or suchlike will find their way into my ball pocket if I want to whack a couple of balls round when by myself.
you want to head to Nairn Dunbar, the gorse that got burnt on NYD was cleared last week so its all gone on the left of the 13th Long Peter. hundreds of balls there, lots are melted thought, be fine for you though;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
you want to head to Nairn Dunbar, the gorse that got burnt on NYD was cleared last week so its all gone on the left of the 13th Long Peter. hundreds of balls there, lots are melted thought, be fine for you though;)

Ah but a melted ball would only be like a badly cut Penfold Ace...actually it was a whirring nuisance playing with a wobbly ball way back then...and I don't think the juniors would thank me.

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
I wouldn’t play any of the rock hard balls in Summer as I can’t get them to stop, in winter not really an issue. I have golf balls I prefer but I don’t think I’ve ever not enjoyed playing and it’s been the balls fault! I play Pro V1x typically but have experimented with lots of new balls over Winter. Project (A), Srizon ad333, Tru feel, even some warbirds - I’ve hit good and bad shots with all of them. Play with the best balls you can afford to lose

Robin Hood

Visit site
Over the years I have played with loads of balls. They eventually become faulty.
Must be as they fly at peculiar angles into the trees and disappear.

Seriously I find Callaway Warbirds very clunky, but get on well with Titleist Velocity.

BigEasyERGC

Visit site
I tend to swap between pro v1 pro v1x in the summer. This winter i have been using Bridgestone tour brx. But anything premium such as tp5 chromesoft etc I’ve used in the past and don’t seem to tell much difference

Can’t stand soft feel but don’t mind ad333

I'm the same play any premium ball during the season April to Sept. Mostly Pro v1, chromesoft or TP5s.

When the winter mats are enforced typically Oct/Nov to March I'll use any distance ball that is softer off the face of the putter than your standard brick distance.

Balls are pretty much plugging on the greens and greens themselves much slower during the wet winter months so not overly fussed with high spin / control around the greens.

sunshine

Visit site
Warbirds feel horrible to me. So bad it puts me off all Callaway balls, which is a little irrational as I have found Chrome Soft to be decent.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Warbirds feel horrible to me. So bad it puts me off all Callaway balls, which is a little irrational as I have found Chrome Soft to be decent.
I don't like any Callaway balls I've used actually. I tried Supersoft for a while I never finished the box, still have six of them sitting at home somewhere from a couple of years ago. They have a weird clicky sound/feel that's not to my tastes. Same with the odd Chrome Soft I've found. Could be my imagination but anyway, I won't bother with them.