Golf balls for holiday.

RustyTom

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In may a few of us are off to Portugal for a few days, playing about 7 or so rounds.

Last year, I took some cheap balls and when I lost all them I bought some from the golf course at a whopping €12 for 3 titliest DT solo!

This year I want to take some better quality balls, I normally play ad333 or titleist velocity but I think I want to go softer.

What balls would you recommend?

I'm thinking either ad333 tour or nxt tour S.

Both are currently on offer for £20

Which out the 2 would you recommend? Swing speed is about 93 with driver, play between 18 - 20 hcp.

Or throw in your own suggestions.

Thanks

Tom

MC72

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In may a few of us are off to Portugal for a few days, playing about 7 or so rounds.

Last year, I took some cheap balls and when I lost all them I bought some from the golf course at a whopping €12 for 3 titliest DT solo!

This year I want to take some better quality balls, I normally play ad333 or titleist velocity but I think I want to go softer.

Which out the 2 would you recommend? Swing speed is about 93 with driver, play between 18 - 20 hcp.

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom,

I've bought pearl& A grade used proV1 from eBay before and have also bought Dunlop dp1-V3 brand new from sports direct as they are a good quality 3 piece ball which, if you read the specification on the box they come in, are very similar to srixon zstar which I also use. The dunlops are around £17 a dozen and direct golf were doing them at that price plus 20% discount.

Depending on which courses you are playing in Portugal you may be able to buy balls from locals at the side of the course rather than in the pro shop!:thup:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I just took my normal balls in the bag. I lost a few less as the ball goes further in warmer climates and lies are usually nicer. I was two clubs better Vs winter UK

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Group of us go abroad each year and every year we create a "trip logo" and get it printed on balls. In previous years we had ProVs printed but it got ridiculous expensive. This year we have 5 dozen Vice Pro and 5 dozen Pro Plus en route and the cost was much better for a really good ball.
Well worth a look.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Which courses are you playing, I lost quite a few playing the O'Connor and Faldo courses in October, but only one last week playing Vilamoura Old and Victoria.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom

I have 3 dozen brand new AD333's (latest model) you can have for £40 posted.
Pm me if your interested.

Cheers
Karl

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Which courses are you playing, I lost quite a few playing the O'Connor and Faldo courses in October, but only one last week playing Vilamoura Old and Victoria.

Now then Louise me duck, I am looking at playing either of the two Faldo and Oconner courses. Not bothered which. But I am am looking to play the old course at Vilamoura. Is there much difference between Victoria and the old course.

re balls, bought some fantastic lake balls on holiday in Cuba, but did not fancy the balata lake balls in Mauritius.
if playing off similar hcap to me I would not be playing with a ball that will spin more than your normal ball, your bad shots will spin more = lose more?
Play with normal ball coz you know what it will do but take some cheaper balls. srixon ad333. I will not pay good money for a course and play with an inferior ball. Away from the ball issue. Second time I played Anahita, it was the best I have ever course managed a round, never lost one ball and knocked it stiff. Course manage each shot and you will lose less.👍

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
The O'connor is a fairer course in my opinion than the Faldo, which I think is gimmicky, although I did lose several balls on the O'Connor.

The Old and Victoria are completely different from each other, the Old has mostly tree lined fairways most of which are umbrella Pines, put a ball in one and the changes are it will stay there, its a super course. The Victoria is a lot more open with a lot of lakes very nice to look at if you are having a slow round and the chances are you will be.

Wherever you play you will have a great time.

The first at the Old course is stunning to look at from the tee.

Attachments

• portugal 058.jpg
    portugal 058.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

MC72

Assistant Pro
Visit site
[QUOTE=Tashyboy;. "Is there much difference between Victoria and the old course."

There's much more water on the Victoria than the old, and is also longer. The Old course is hillier and more varied.

I would suggest that the Victoria is more difficult than the old course, but that doesn't mean the old course is easy at all. The facilities at the Victoria are great, I had read that the staff at Victoria were a bit sullen and not very helpful but I didn't find them that way.

Play them both and make your own mind up as I'm sure you'll enjoy them both in different ways.

Tashyboy

Visit site
The old course it is based on that photo. I called in at the old course when heading back to Faro and said I fancy playing this. Just the feel of the place ticked a lot of boxes. Re putting your ball in a tree. yup ave got the badge for that one as well 😳
That's the Old course and Oconner course sorted for my Portugal trip. Cheers Louise me duck.
ps, did you book them over there or over here before you went.

MC, played? Ocean course last year and the flippin lakes got on my boobs so have had my fill of them for a year or so. Many thanks folks.

MC72

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The old course it is based on that photo. I called in at the old course when heading back to Faro and said I fancy playing this. Just the feel of the place ticked a lot of boxes. Re putting your ball in a tree. yup ave got the badge for that one as well 😳
That's the Old course and Oconner course sorted for my Portugal trip. Cheers Louise me duck.

MC, played? Ocean course last year and the flippin lakes got on my boobs so have had my fill of them for a year or so. Many thanks folks.

Hi there,

Yes, I've played both but Victoria is most recent one. I can't remember exact yardages Louise and maybe memory playing tricks on me or could be that I played better at the old course (knocked it round in 82 I think) but it seemed shorter than the Victoria. I'd like to play them both again but would rate the Old course higher personally from an enjoyment perspective.

I've played the Ocean too but was a bit disappointed with the 4 or 5 holes (I think from 2nd onwards?) where it just looked like a big open park. I preferred the Royal, and assume you're talking about the vale do lobo courses.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the Old course!

Tashyboy

Visit site
Hi there,

Yes, I've played both but Victoria is most recent one. I can't remember exact yardages Louise and maybe memory playing tricks on me or could be that I played better at the old course (knocked it round in 82 I think) but it seemed shorter than the Victoria. I'd like to play them both again but would rate the Old course higher personally from an enjoyment perspective.

I've played the Ocean too but was a bit disappointed with the 4 or 5 holes (I think from 2nd onwards?) where it just looked like a big open park. I preferred the Royal, and assume you're talking about the vale do lobo courses.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the Old course!

Yeah they are the ones Vale do lobo. To be honest I was a bit underwhelmed with them both. At times it was like playin in a Posh council estate. I realise that these places make there money by having expensive properties on them. but for me they took away from the playing experience. Often wondered if some of the courses over here would not struggle if some of the courses were House lined.
Think that's why I will plump for the Old and Oconnor courses.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
The old course it is based on that photo. I called in at the old course when heading back to Faro and said I fancy playing this. Just the feel of the place ticked a lot of boxes. Re putting your ball in a tree. yup ave got the badge for that one as well ��

I have played in comps when I have been, so didn't need to worry about booking ahead. Just booked a couple of practice rounds when there and I just tagged on to groups with spaces.