Golf app for apple watch

Duncan beattie

Visit site
Hi. I’m wondering why hardly any of the apps for apple watch show the “recommended club” on the actual watch. It makes sense that if you have the yardage you want to know what club to use on your watch. Most of the apps allow this functionality on the iPhone, but that means you need to hunt out your phone after each shot. Which defeats the purpose of having the info on your watch. As far as I can see no app does this on the actual watch. Is it just me or is this an obvious gap ? Thanks. And happy golfing everyone. Duncan.

Harry Putter

Visit site
Tag Heuer definitely does, however I prefer to make the club decision myself.

Do you have the Tag Connected Golf, or just the App?

I'd be interested in a review of the watch, it's come down a lot in price recently.. but think the battery life is dodgy and there may be a newer version out soon.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Link to a similar thread from last week...
https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/apple-watch-gps-apps.111592/

I tried loads over the weekend, if you want to pay the Tag app looks really good but a subscription is needed to use the watch app.
For free apps , best two by far were the Taylormade app and V1, both were excellent. I ended up using V1 in the end, just a smidge less faffy to change holes.

Duncan beattie

Visit site
Hi thanks for all the Info everyone. THe tag heuer app is £37 in the uk to access for the Apple Watch. If it’s good then I might try that. I did download The Taylor made app a few days ago and it is really good but from what I can see it doesn’t recommend a club, it only allows you to record and track your distances for stats and analysis post round (but I may have that wrong?) I aren’t tried Arccos so going to download that today. And will also try v1. From my own research (I tried loads of them!) Hole19 for me was the easiest to use but you need to pay c£50 per year to access the premium features - Club reccomendation is one of those but doesn’t display on the apple watch only the iPhone. I found “golf shot” and “SwingU” really confusing. SwingU was really glitchy. So I’ll go and try Arccos and V1 today and report back. The one good thing is that the development across all apps has really come on and I’m going to sell my dedicated golfwatch as the apps for iPhone/Apple Watch are really good !

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I couldn’t get Arccos to work, it needed me to register the tags which I don’t have. Is there a way around this?
V1 has club tracking but I turned it off, I found my watch beeping all the time after most shots which I found annoying ?

Duncan beattie

Visit site
Agreed. Just tried it. Arcoss only works if you are willing to pay for the sensors. I’ve also just tried V1 and to unlock “virtual caddie” which gives you the club recommendation functionality , you need to pay £11.49 per month. That’s too high. Cost compared to others. So it seems it’s either tag heuer or Hole19 which are both under £50 subs for the year to get full functionality and from what others have said are both very good.

benjo09

Visit site
I couldn’t get Arccos to work, it needed me to register the tags which I don’t have. Is there a way around this?
V1 has club tracking but I turned it off, I found my watch beeping all the time after most shots which I found annoying ?
I use V1 and the easiest way around it is to set your watch to silent mode which is what I use during a round anyway. Just gives a little buzz on your wrist to say it’s registered a shot.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I use V1 and the easiest way around it is to set your watch to silent mode which is what I use during a round anyway. Just gives a little buzz on your wrist to say it’s registered a shot.

Thanks for the tip, I just turned tracking off in the phone app as I don’t really need that function. It was very accurate though, my mate has a Garmin watch and we were never more than a yard apart.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have the V1 Game app. You can turn off the beep/buzz when a shot is detected in settings.

Is the club recommendation really a dealbreaker? I would have thought most people keen enough to want to pay for a watch app that does strokes gained would play competitions - which would make club recommendations illegal.

SHiiBBZ

Club Champion
Visit site
I just couldn't get the Apple watch to work properly with golf.

If the best apps are pushing £40, I'd suggest picking up a second hand Garmin Approach S20 which is an excellent GPS watch. You can usually find them on FB marketplace or eBay for around £50.

Duncan beattie

Visit site
Thanks to everyone for feeding back. Im going to go with Tag or Hole 19. I agree with all comments. Maybe Region3 your right - club recommendation is not a deal breaker but a nice to have. I just kind of thought if it shows me the yardage on the watch then it’s a simple step to show me the club choice as well based on my own yardage per club. I know them in my head anyway but it was just a feature I felt was logical. But to be fair there are loads of other features in all of these apps, so overall weighing everything up and annual costs etc then it’s Tag or Hole19. Perhaps we are spoilt for choice ! Which is a good sign that the developers are constantly pushing ahead. Happy golfing everyone. I’ll update you once I’ve used the full
Functionality of either tag or Hole19.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The main reason I wouldn’t want a club recommendation (apart from the legal thing) is that I very often don’t use the club that the straight yardage would want.

The unit might think I hit a 7 iron 140yds because it’s my average, but half of those might be punch shots or (heaven forbid) miss hits, so if I have 140 I wouldn’t want it telling me to use a 7 iron because if I swing normally it would go too far.