Golf abroad - do you over think the booking?

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Been looking and getting quotes for my brother in law's 50th next year. Similar ISH across the board really. Different courses, different hotels, includes/excludes transfers etc but all within the same area. Been looking at reviews, views on here, asking mates....🤣

Do you overthink the trips you book or just go with what looks decent and book it? Or is it like any trip in that you want to try get the best out of the trip and nearly £900?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Said this multiple times but if you can find a local agent in the area you are heading, rather than using a larger booking agent, you will probably get better service.

It might not be any cheaper, but they will know the course conditions, greens maintenance weeks etc.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
You can certainly go down a rabbit hole and as for opinions... well, we know what they're like! 😉
I will always do a bit of research, but take TripAdvisor with a pinch of salt. Bookings.com is more reliable for hotel feedback as you have to have stayed there.
As for courses, once I see a course I think looks good, I contact them to check maintenance and any big events clashing with my dates.
Once you've discounted the obvious car crashes, I don't see there's much to go wrong if it all looks similar.
Have you asked for people's thoughts on here about location and courses? Or did you not want to commit hari kari? 🤣🤣🤣

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
You can certainly go down a rabbit hole and as for opinions... well, we know what they're like! 😉
I will always do a bit of research, but take TripAdvisor with a pinch of salt. Bookings.com is more reliable for hotel feedback as you have to have stayed there.
As for courses, once I see a course I think looks good, I contact them to check maintenance and any big events clashing with my dates.
Once you've discounted the obvious car crashes, I don't see there's much to go wrong if it all looks similar.
Have you asked for people's thoughts on here about location and courses? Or did you not want to commit hari kari? 🤣🤣🤣

You've been on a golf holiday recently havent you?

Captain_Black.

Visit site
I golf abroad with the wife.
I use Golfshake & Trip Advisor for hotel & course reviews.
My criteria is a decent hotel, preferably on site, a flattish course that won't kill us to walk & a course that isn't too difficult.
It's holiday golf after all.
I don't want to walk difficult terrain in the heat & get beaten up by a hard course with slick greens.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just used GolfBreaks for ours, so I think that's a no to over-thinking it. I just scan what options are available for the budget we're prepared to spend and send the options to the lads to vote for their favourite.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lol I've actually got some really good advice from here and also from Mel's posts on the area we are looking at.

I tend to overthink things that don't need to be so it's probably just me but like to have everything in place and at the best places within our budget.